Is it legal to metal detect in the Bahamas?

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
I have only been to the Bahamas once, in 2007. I went to Nassau. This was before I got so heavily into metal detecting. I saw a guy that called himself a treasure hunter at cable beach. He was talking to some of us tourists. All he had was a long metal pole, mask, fins, snorkel. He swam way out so far that we lost sight of him. I have seen some films where they use a metal pole to poke the sand.

I wonder if it's ok to bring your metal detector with you and use it on the beaches in the Bahamas???

Thanks for any info.
Susan,Kelly,Tinky (skt)

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several members have posted they have gone to the Bahamas and hunted there with no problems at all.... Be sure to hunt the private island on your way if the cruise ship
stops there, although I have been told it is hunted often I would still hunt it........

Good luck..................

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the info. Someday I would love to go back to the Bahamas. I flew there from Ft.Lauderdale. Very smooth flight, and very short, only 1/2 hr on Spirit air. I also needed to bring my passport. They had changed the laws at that time in 2007 about passports. I always plan to hunt where people swim a lot, and lay around the beach.

I can't wait to get home and get out hunting. I've been stuck in this truck for about 6 weeks so far. Due to holiday, they keep us out longer than usual.

ttyl, skt

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get to the Bahamas from Ft. Lauderdale on Sprit Air for like $18 one way and sometime they run better specials for like $8 each way. It should would be nice to take a trip for that little of money. Just check into the $9 club on Sprit you get great deals. We have flown to LA for $28 each way.....Matt

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
mlayers said:
You can get to the Bahamas from Ft. Lauderdale on Sprit Air for like $18 one way and sometime they run better specials for like $8 each way. It should would be nice to take a trip for that little of money. Just check into the $9 club on Sprit you get great deals. We have flown to LA for $28 each way.....Matt

Cool, thanks for the info. I have made a note of it and will keep it in my files for next trip to bahamas.

skt

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida
Last time I was in Nassau I stopped at the Bahamian Tourist Bureau and asked and also at the police/military office where the cruise ships come in. Both told me hand held detectors are allowed, but absolutely no professional treasure hunting equipment.

Planning on going in February and bringing mine with me.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make regular trips to the Bahamas, and always bring the detector, my Excal breaks down and fits into my backpack on those trips to the out islands when I have to travel light.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread