Another question re: wetsuits

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Well, it seems that the NRS Grizzly Farmer John 3mm wetsuit and 3mm jacket is what I'll end up getting. I'll try it in 2XL, as my height and weight fall within the size chart specs for the 2XL. They also have a 4XL (funny no 3XL though), which will definitely work if the 2XL is too small.

My questions now are:

How tight should it fit?

How long should I be able to stay in knee to waist deep water that is around 55 degrees with a 3mm wetsuit before I die of hypothermia?

Thanks! My wife would kill me if I died while metal detecting, so this hypothermia thing could be a real bugaboo.

Jim

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time4me said:
Well, it seems that the NRS Grizzly Farmer John 3mm wetsuit and 3mm jacket is what I'll end up getting. I'll try it in 2XL, as my height and weight fall within the size chart specs for the 2XL. They also have a 4XL (funny no 3XL though), which will definitely work if the 2XL is too small.

My questions now are:

How tight should it fit?

How long should I be able to stay in knee to waist deep water that is around 55 degrees with a 3mm wetsuit before I die of hypothermia?

Thanks! My wife would kill me if I died while metal detecting, so this hypothermia thing could be a real bugaboo.

Jim

I recommend you get the Farmer John, rather then standard wetsuit. When you have both pieces on, (top and bottom) it doubles the thickness around the body core. A 3 mil Farmer John becomes 6 mill on body core when both pieces are on. I have worn my farmer john 3 mil in the Atlantic off of Daytona Beach in the dead of winter and not been cold. Before you say, thats different it's Floirida, January-Febuary the water temperature is in the mid to upper 50s in the Atlantic Ocean off coast of Daytona....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Your suit needs to fit snug enough so as to minimize the exchange of water that becomes trapped between your skin and the suit itself. Yet, it should not be so tight as to restrict your blood circulation. The trapped water layer should be the smallest volume as possible. Key component of the overall fit is tight sealing gaskets on the ankles, wrists, and neck. As a tip for donning a wet suit, consider pantyhose or a lycra body suit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread