Presure at the beach?

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
I'm sure I am not alone in this, I feel I do OK at the beach and believe I find my share or more. But lately, I have found myself competing with a local friend of mine, we meet for coffee every morning and discuss and show off the items we found the day before. It started out as a lot of fun but now it has become a serious competition spurred on by the other guys at the table. I am sure my friend feels the same way.

Ill give you an example this week I have found three gold rings one very nice wedding set and two other bands the last one this morning, I am considering going out again simply because i feel if don't this buddy of mine is going to show me up in the morning and blow me away with his finds for the day.

It certainly is pushing my gold count up for the year, But not sure I like the pressure. What do you guys think, any of you having the same experiance.

Bigp2

Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as long as it stays as a friendly competition I think it's OK , if it starts getting messy then I'd pull out an say no more , then that's just me .

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way it sounds someone will soon sneak in a girl friend's ring to cheat. You took up the hobby because you liked to find stuff and now the fun is disappearing. Soon it will become WORK, something to be avoided at all costs.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
The way it sounds someone will soon sneak in a girl friend's ring to cheat. You took up the hobby because you liked to find stuff and now the fun is disappearing. Soon it will become WORK, something to be avoided at all costs.
Dead on Sandman again,That is why i fly solo now :tongue3:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Cotton, where did you get the avatar of my cousin Frankie?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like going out with friends. It is always good to see what each other have found. I don't really get upset on what they found. I just keep saying we need to get to another place and do some more hunting to see wha tis there for us to find......Matt

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with sandman, and right on :headbang: to cotton! Been fly'n solo for last 8yrs.

OP
OP
Jaws2

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
Sandman said:

I think your right, I am going to stop worrying about what the other guy has found, and just enjoy the hobby.

Thanks for the impute.

D

digum smacks

well folks,i disagree.like he said"his ring count has gone up"everything is on until things get messy,i know people out there that just dont find anything .once in a blue moon a blind dog gets a bone,and it is sort of like work sort of like poker its a game of luck but if your not skillful your rankings and prosperity are low.i believe this is making him better and his buddy.sure he might sneak a girlfriends ring in here and there,but im here to tell ya she only has so many rings.finding the rings is the reward,he might cheat but after he says why do i suck? i cant find no rings.when you find 100+rings a year that goes out the window.unless you like just being out there and if your swinging a detector your not out there just to be out there

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like a good fight... (so to say). I guess when I hunt with other people its kinda like a game of who's is bigger... sometimes ya win sometimes ya lose. If it motivates ya to go more and the time on the water makes you better at reading the beach then I say go get UM... But then since you said its a friend I suppose its cool. I make it to a local Breakfast spot and see the same guys in there every time and I see one particular one hunting the areas I d, hunt. I'll probably stop by and introduce myself next time I see him.

beachboy

Bronze Member
May 26, 2008
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Sandman said:

Can you elablorate a little more on the Work concept....

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
"Can you elablorate a little more on the Work concept...."

Work is a four letter word like Snow and Cold are to be avoided at all costs :)

Sorry........ could not resist

Jerry

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
You guys have got it all wrong, when Ben my friend goes out hunting with his Minelab Exterra 50 we have this promise to each other or commitment, if he finds a gold ring, it bcomes mine and if I find a gold ring even with diamonds it becomes his, last time out I found a gold wedding band ring, I gave it to Ben, now how does this sound to you guys :icon_thumright:

beachboy

Bronze Member
May 26, 2008
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Jerry-Wi said:
"Can you elaborate a little more on the Work concept...."

Work is a four letter word like Snow and Cold are to be avoided at all costs :)

Sorry........ could not resist

What I am saying is that I love metal detecting, yet to me, it is difficult at times... especially when the picking are slim....I guess allot of how one feels about the hobby deals with metal fortitude...If one can say that I did not get anything today, yet I got my exercise in.....It is a win win situation...One needs to look for those kind of things or stop for awhile....

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i've been doing it for some time now, and i guess it's just the competition that gets you going, you get out there and your buddy finds a nice gold ring, now your trying twice as hard and your trying so hard your doing everything wrong, then you say to yourself hey this is a hobby what am i doing, and then you slow down and start finding stuff again, that's what is all about, Guys just a hobby remember that. :hello2:

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be happy with what you find and don't begrudge others who find nice things as well. Pretty soon you will feel like your finds aren't up to snuff...thats not the case and its a sure fire way of not enjoying your hobby. You started meeting with each other to show finds off because it was fun, and it inspired you I am sure. Now switch things up a bit and see who can come up with the most junk for the day before, or most unusual item. It doesn't have to have any value.

I don't compete with anyone but myself, and some days a junk ring that took me 6hours to find means more to me than the last hunt when my first target was a gold ring. Its all about preception.

KJ$IPW

Dec 6, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III, Whites 4900dl pro plus
I used to water hunt a local lake with my uncle, he knew his Surf2 well, and I was learning my 1280x. He would always smoke me on rings, but I didn't care because we were having a great time. Two other guys were WAY to serious about water hunting, one of the guys went water hunting(wading chest-deep), while he was really sick, he ended up getting pneumonia, and dying, I am not that crazy, my point is have fun, this is a hobby, its supposed to be fun, unlike work.
HH
Steve

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
I "always" detect alone, not because i want every grain of good finds alone- but because i find it very relaxing just detecting on the beach or some other place, without anyone disturbing me. Its my "therapy hour" when I'm out in the fields with my detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread