GOLD (sort of)

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
My trip to the beach this morning was taken with some reluctance. I knew it was going to be cold out there and in the water I would probably freeze my patootie off! When I got there I was right it was cold out there! There was a pretty stiff breeze blowing and the water was choppy. Too choppy for me. So I decided to stay out of the water and just hunt along the edge and the wet sand areas. Right off the bat I hit a penny. Twenty minutes later... I got a nice hit. With the water washing up over my dive boots I proceeded to dig. Yeah..... I saw gold in my scoop! Now I like this! It was a small, delicate looking ring but ... gold it gold - right? The stamp was VERY tiny and I could barely make out the 10k stamped inside.

Ring10kp122009.jpg

Unfortunately when I got home and got the magnifying glass out - it is stamped 10kp along with 3 other letters so I guess it is not gold after all but gold plated. No matter.... I am happy as a clam (are clams happy?) Well I am. It looked real pretty in my scoop.

Ten minutes later I got another hit and to my surprise.... it was another ring! Whoppee! But.... it looked like a junk ring. No matter a ring is a ring. When I got home and looked this one over it turned out to be not a ring at all. It looks like it might be a type of grommet or cover for something. **sigh** Oh well It had me going for a while.

Ringjunk122009.jpg

Well the rest of my time down there I only found a few coins. Total time hunting this morning was 3 hours but it turned out to be a really good day in my book! I'll take it!

MoneynRing122009.jpg

I hope your day is as good or better! :wink:

Upvote 0

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Mumszie, that ring is BEAUTIFUL!!! My wife would love for me to find a ring like that!!!!!

Congrats for braving the cold - you were definitely rewarded for it!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice diamond ring, I love it.. congrats to ya Mumzie..

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
10KP also means ten karat plum which from what I have heard means exactly 10k. I would bet it is not plated.
Test it.

I found two 10kp rings this year and they both were not plated.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
stitchlips said:
10KP also means ten karat plum which from what I have heard means exactly 10k. I would bet it is not plated.
Test it.

Yippee! THANKS FOR THE INFO. Chris (Goldinwater) also told me that. I found gold this morning. I FOUND GOLD! YIPPEE!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beats a bunch of fishing hooks, right??? :headbang:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring Mumsie, at the least, it will always make a nice toe ring. :icon_thumright:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I know you have been working long and hard for that one.WTG!!! :hello2:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mumszie said:
stitchlips said:
Test it.

Yippee! THANKS FOR THE INFO. Chris (Goldinwater) also told me that. I found gold this morning. I FOUND GOLD! YIPPEE!
I TOLD YA MUMSZIE!!! It was your turn to find GOLD!! Now, all you need is a wet suit so you don't freeze your "patootie" off LOL Gold Nuggets :hello:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yep CONGRATS!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

By now you know it IS GOLD...10KP is precisely 10 Karat. To help prevent those jewelers from giving you 9.5 Karat and rounding up to 10K.

HH Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"PLUMB GOLD A term used to describe gold jewelry that contains the precise amount of gold in the alloy that the Karat mark indicates. In the past an item marked 14Kt could legally have been 13.5 karat and still considered 14K. Today an item marked 14k must be at least 14 of 24 parts fine gold and is considered plumb gold. In some instances manufacturers have marked their jewelry 14KP meaning plumb, but inadvertently have confused the public that believed the 14KP mark meant gold plated. "

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread