Soth carolina beach hunting

tractorboy30

Oct 4, 2009
Ontario
Hi all I'm making my way up to the area on the 30th to see family for the holidays and want to due some detecting and I'm new at it now 1st off thinking of hitting myrtle beach and is my unit ok it is a Tesoro silver umax?? why I ask is we have only fresh water were I live and never detected in the salt water?? and if so does anyone no when they tyed is low and when it is high??? anyhelp will be great thanks
Frank

Upvote 0

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
U Max will be fine for the dry sand areas. Will not work well in the wet salt sand areas.
Myrtle beach has been bad as the have renurished the beach and buried al the goodies under
a mountain of sand. Let us know how you do.

Jason

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Re: South carolina beach hunting

You should be able to detect for along time during the day ,the tide is favorable. I'll be headed that way possible, only I will be going toward Charleston. Heard there has been some Silver Rings being found near Springmaid Beach Pier-South

Attachments

• Treasure Hunter Prospector Clay.jpg
    Treasure Hunter Prospector Clay.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 665
OP
OP
tractorboy30

tractorboy30

Oct 4, 2009
Ontario
Re: South carolina beach hunting

goldnugget said:
You should be able to detect for along time during the day ,the tide is favorable. I'll be headed that way possible, only I will be going toward Charleston. Heard there has been some Silver Rings being found near Springmaid Beach Pier-South

Thats Funny that is were I'm staying is in the Charleston area I thought I would hit up Mrytle beach when I was there but may be I need to try other spots to?? not there long so have to make the best of it. Whats the weather like there right now?? thanks
Frank

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
tractorboy30 said:
Jason in TN said:
Best bet may be the Charlston area. Some where south of myrtle where the beach has not been renurished.

Sorry I'm new I quess but what is renurished?? mean?

Beaches erode. Coastal towns dependent on tourists need beaches. Sand is dredged and deposited on the beach. Hence, it is renourished.

OP
OP
tractorboy30

tractorboy30

Oct 4, 2009
Ontario
Diver_Down said:
tractorboy30 said:
Jason in TN said:
Best bet may be the Charlston area. Some where south of myrtle where the beach has not been renurished.

Beaches erode. Coastal towns dependent on tourists need beaches. Sand is dredged and deposited on the beach. Hence, it is renourished.

Ok I thought that is what you guys were talking about but if they are dredging would that not pull some of the good stuff up??just thinking. Thanks for telling me what is meant

Frank

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
tractorboy30 said:
Diver_Down said:
tractorboy30 said:
Jason in TN said:

Ok I thought that is what you guys were talking about but if they are dredging would that not pull some of the good stuff up??just thinking. Thanks for telling me what is meant

Frank

The sand they bring in comes from a mile or so off shore. Chance they could bring something in from out there some times there will be some 50 calibur bullets at myrtle. All of the goodies that were lost over the past 50 years are buried way to deep until we get some erosion. Have about one summer of lost goodies that have all that new loose sand covering them up quick. Last time I was there I found about three coins in a couple hours. That can all change with one good BIG storm though. Good luck if you go let us know how you do. Good Luck

Jason

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The problem with Myrtle is that there is intense competition especially in the dry. My aunt, niece, and grandmother stayed there last year so I took the opportunity to meet them "half way". I had to beat the competition by being on the beach before sunrise. Ended up scooping a couple bucks in clad, but there were close to a dozen MD'ers in the same area later that morning.

OP
OP
tractorboy30

tractorboy30

Oct 4, 2009
Ontario
Jason in TN said:
tractorboy30 said:
Diver_Down said:
tractorboy30 said:
Jason in TN said:

Frank

The sand they bring in comes from a mile or so off shore. Chance they could bring something in from out there some times there will be some 50 calibur bullets at myrtle. All of the goodies that were lost over the past 50 years are buried way to deep until we get some erosion. Have about one summer of lost goodies that have all that new loose sand covering them up quick. Last time I was there I found about three coins in a couple hours. That can all change with one good BIG storm though. Good luck if you go let us know how you do. Good Luck

Jason

Thanks all I will let ya all know how I make out when I get home still finishing up my sand scoop but will be ready for me to take LOL
Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread