whats the best detector to get for the beach?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I really like the Minelab excal 1000. Easy to use and has treated me very well in fresh and salt waters.

OP
OP
bradyboy

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool, thanks for the input
do they stand up to the salt, how long will it last?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you going in the water, or just on the wet sand? If just the wet sand, then the Minelab Sovereign GT is what you want, if your going in the water get the Excal 1000.

There are people in your area using some, try to catch up with them and they can show you. If you were on my side of the state I would let you go along with me one day and use my backup Excal...

OP
OP
bradyboy

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TH
thanks for the input
I have a lot of respeect for your input as I have watched your posts for some time now
Im in the Clearwater / safety Harbor area - FL
concerned with the laws in my area for searching
is there a site I can go to for the rules of searching in my area?
Thanks so much for the help
maybe PM at this point?
Brady Boy

OP
OP
bradyboy

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey wreck
Thanks so much for the info
Happy holidays to you and yours
Bradyboy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bradyboy said:
Hey TH
thanks for the input
I have a lot of respeect for your input as I have watched your posts for some time now
Im in the Clearwater / safety Harbor area - FL
concerned with the laws in my area for searching
is there a site I can go to for the rules of searching in my area?
Thanks so much for the help
maybe PM at this point?
Brady Boy

If your beach hunting there, you have no problem, just check with the ranger if your going to hunt the state park there, all public beaches are no problem....

OP
OP
bradyboy

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok - so were saying the minelab exacab 1000?
where can I get the best price?
looks like im looking at 1200 or so?
Mike / bradyboy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bradyboy said:
ok - so were saying the minelab exacab 1000?
where can I get the best price?
looks like im looking at 1200 or so?
Mike / bradyboy

I appreciate the complement, but I have only been doing this about 3.5 years, there are a lot of people a lot more experienced then I. You have many experienced hunters in your area that are very helpful.....Competition is stiff on that side of the state...

Dealers are restricted from going below a set price, which basically means they all sell at the same price....

Are you going to buy new or used? Personally I suggest you at least consider used. I have bought 3 used Excals, and at least 4 other used detectors, everone arrived working perfectly and I saved a lot of money by buying used. In fact I have saved enough to more then cover any repairs each unit may have needed. I have had to only send in one Excal for repairs and the total cost was about $150, for 2 trips over a 3 year period. I bought that one for $600, so I have a total of $750 in that one, a new one costs $1200 so I am still $450 to the plus on that unit. I have only sent in one other unit, and it was a New Whites BHID still under warranty, and sent it in twice, then got mad at it and traded it in on a New Sovereign GT, the only other new detector I have ever bought.

I just bought an Excal off one of the boards for $475 used, spent another $80 for a used Coiltek coil for it, hard wired it own, and spent about $25 on the extended shaft. I have about $600 in it now and that is with the wot coil which is $225 new....

The Excal 800 has 8 inch coil, Excal 1000 has 10 inch coil so I now have a nice Minelab Excalibur 1500...LOL (1500 because of the WOT is 15 inch coil)

Remember your also going to need a good water scoop if your going into the water, and they are not cheap. A good scoop will cost you in the neighborhood of $150-$225. Don't waste your time buying a $50 scoop and think it will be okay, you will just break it in a couple months or less....The money you save on the detector can be used to help pay for the scoop..

If you want new, Kellyco is here in Orlando, and if you pick it up here there is no shipping.......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Treasure Hunter said, the Excal if you plan on getting wet and the Sov GT if only hunting the dry sand and some of the damp sand. Figure on getting a quality long handle scoop too. These detectors will provide lots of goodies without you having to dig deep holes for nails and small screws made of iron.

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/ Learn more here.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'll be a lil different... I like my DF from whites.I hunt the opposite side of the state. I hunt wet sand and water mostly and luckily I don't dig too much trash. When I do it can be deep... I stay away from the dry sand in some areas cuz of all the twist tops. But on the S.W. coast I dig too much of the old crab trap pieces. I will eventually get a Soverign for the dry sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread