I need a tall man shaft for my excalibur - any suggestions?

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you make your own? You can get an 7/8 inch aluminum shaft at a marine store, look for a 6 foot handle for a squeegee or broom. Drill holes where you need them, get bicycle handle extension for the handle.

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
Treasure_Hunter said:
Why don't you make your own? You can get an 7/8 inch aluminum shaft at a marine store, look for a 6 foot handle for a squeegee or broom. Drill holes where you need them, get bicycle handle extension for the handle.

That's a good idea. What I need, though, is 3/4" diameter fiberglass tubing as I want to replace the lower rod. I'd like to keep the upper aluminum shafts that I already have for my various excaliburs. I just want to replace the stock lower rod with a new longer lower rod.

Not having too much luck finding 3/4" fiberglass tubing with 1/16" thick wall through my google searches though.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time4me said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

That's a good idea. What I need, though, is 3/4" diameter fiberglass tubing as I want to replace the lower rod. I'd like to keep the upper aluminum shafts that I already have for my various excaliburs. I just want to replace the stock lower rod with a new longer lower rod.

Not having too much luck finding 3/4" fiberglass tubing with 1/16" thick wall through my google searches though.

Have you thought of keeping the existing fiberglass rod and make a small extension to go between the lower rod and upper rod....Just a thought....

I can't remember seeing any fiberglass rods, but there is one place here in town I can check that might have it, I will let you know........

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always give me some of your extra height at 5'4" I have a problem detecting in the water where all the men hang out and loose their rings...I am just too Short

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try looking at a hardware store for a telescoping paint handle. I don't know if it would work for you or not, just a thought.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I have tried this....but would PVC pipe work? It cuts very easily and holes can be cut into with a drill.

Honestly I don't know if this would work? If anybody know why it wouldn't could you please explain. Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PVC would be too floopy, not stiff enough. I am going to check one spot here in town that might sell fiberglass rods, though I am not sure of the sizes they sell.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think Minelab makes one.But Whites makes a very nice one an it should work.You just have to use the Whites washers. :tongue3:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried enzyte or them little blue pills??? :tongue3: sorry, couldnt resist!!!
take a look at your local home depot or lowes and see what you can come up with?
part of a fishing rod would probably work?

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get a wood dowel from HD a lil sanding and its any length ya need. It is plenty stiff and is 3 bucks or so.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Treasure_Hunter said:
Have you thought of keeping the existing fiberglass rod and make a small extension to go between the lower rod and upper rod....Just a thought....

I can't remember seeing any fiberglass rods, but there is one place here in town I can check that might have it, I will let you know........

That's a great idea TH, I have my machine set on the last spot available and it's a little wobbly. I have some work to do, thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
have you tried enzyte or them little blue pills??? :tongue3: sorry, couldnt resist!!!
take a look at your local home depot or lowes and see what you can come up with?
part of a fishing rod would probably work?
Now that was funny ,LOL :tongue3: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasurdiggrNY said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

That's a great idea TH, I have my machine set on the last spot available and it's a little wobbly. I have some work to do, thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

If it was me that is what I would do, I would add a small extension on the fiberglass shaft....You can get the spring clips from kellyco, $1.00 each, and if you go to Goodwill, you can check for aluminum crutches, they use them inside to adjust the height.....

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Whites makes a fiberglass tall man shaft $10.oo

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I would advise Whites as well, and make it fit. Put thin bits of plastic on either side between the coil and the lower shaft.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
The best shaft for the Excal is a straight shaft just make one or have one made that is longer than normal.
The top shaft would be the way to lengthen it. Then just use the normal lower shaft. There is a guy on ebay
named plugger that i have gotten two off of. They work great. Hope this helps.

Jason

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried Carbon Fiber? Harold in Fla.

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8/Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How about one of Pete Anderson's shafts? He has quite a few configurations. I believe it is called Andersons Shafts.

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!

I went scrounging around in my garage, and found an aluminum extendable golf ball retriever that the little cup end had broken off of many years ago (being a pack rat, I never threw it away). So the biggest tube on the handle end was the diameter I needed, so I hacksawed off the rest, and used it to fashion the upper piece to a straight shaft. $20 at REI got me a bike handle and cushion wrap for a grip. It was easy to drill the holes needed for the lower rod and the arm cuff. I plan on using this for a waist-belt mounted Excalibur, so I didn't need to drill any holes for the detector unit.

The aluminum tube I used was a tiny bit thinner than the straight shaft that my Excalibur 1000 is mounted on, but I hope it is strong enough to withstand swinging in the water.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread