txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I get older I really do have to question my sanity sometimes. I happened to catch the news where people ran into 50 degree water to ring in the new year they called it the polar bear run.....I am sitting there thinking to myself WHY WHY would people do that!
Then it occured to me I had done the same thing that morning except I didn't run in the water and run out and get warm...no my dumb a$$ spent a couple hours in the water detecting, and yes..the water was shockingly cold, even with a wetsuit. So what did I get for my efforts.

a 10k gold earring
2 junk rings
1 silver ring
misc. trash, bullets, a toy car, and a handful of clad, oh and lets not forget all the fishing weights.

Things I hope I will not get in a couple days
--a cold
---red tide side effects(yep the red tide has now hit Corpus)

i will take pics tonight.

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
wow that water is relatively warm for a polar bear swim. here it would be closer to 40! So at least you had a good hunt!

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
txkickergirl.....We got a completely mad crowd on this side of the pond as well. It's an annual event swimming in the sea on New Year......why :dontknow: I just thought it was a British eccentricity, but am relieved to hear you have them over their as well :laughing7:
Point of interest.....What is a red tide, and red tide effects?

regards Unicorn

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red tide is a bad algae that pops up sometimes and kills the fish. They wash up on the shore, the smell of dead fish is bad enough but then you get watery eyes and your throat burns. The red tide is just starting so the effects in Corpus are not too bad right now. It usually lasts a few weeks to a couple months. You don't want to eat any of the fish when red tide is in effect, it could cause a person to become ill. The algae itself is actually miles off shore, and by air the water will appear, red, orange, or a brownish color. I am not sure why exactly it occurs, but we hadn't had it since the early 80's here.

mncricket

Greenie
Oct 15, 2009
Here the polar bear run goes from a sauna that has been pulled out on to ice that is a couple of feet thick. They they use a chainsaw (with a HUGE blade) and cut a big hole in the ice. Then all of the crazy people in the sauna run and jump into the hole in the ice and then run back to the sauna! I have jumped into a hole in the ice too, but I had an orange gumby suit on and was training for ice rescue with the local fire department.....and I thought that was a crazy idea too by the way!

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds,We had a little red tide here on the west cost of Florida last week.But it was really mild ,We are about due for a good one :tongue3:

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jumping in the ice..no i think i will pass on that even with a suit on.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on the hunt :icon_thumright: where are the pics you promised :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the pic, nothing impressive, but I have done a lot worse before

Attachments

• 1.5.10.jpg
    1.5.10.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 273
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Very nice..congrats again....... 3 rings w/ one being silver and a piece of gold :thumbsup:

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really liked the gold earring, too bad its match wasn't there, I would wear those!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions