My hands are freezing, what about a fiberglass scoop?

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
So this past week, it has really been too cold to be out on the beach here in South Florida.

Temps have been in the 30's, dropping into the 20's, and with the wind chill off the water, it feels much colder.

Still, I had to get my metal detecting fix, so I went out on the beach and detected until my hands were so numb I couldn't hold the detector.

If I hadn't been finding targets, I would have given up much sooner. But it seems like the high winds and blowing sands resulted in many targets near the surface, so I kept detecting and finding lots of coins.

What really bothered me was grabbing the metal shaft on the scoop - the shaft was extremely cold, and it was what eventually sent me to the house.

So I started wondering if a scoop with a fiberglass shaft would be any better?

Surely the fiberglass shaft wouldn't be as cold as the metal shaft?

Anyone have a fiberglass shaft and want to share their experience?

It's supposed to be even colder this weekend in South Florida . . . maybe I should just buy a pair of gloves.

Bill

Upvote 0

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One idea: wrap pipe insulation around handle. (the foam type with adhesive backing)

Makes the handle friendlier to the joints too!

:icon_thumright:

T

TreasurdiggrNY

My scoop has a fiberglass handle but when it's that cold it doesn't matter what the handle is made of, you need a good pair of gloves with thinsulate. The ones with a textured type palm and fingers keeps the scoop from sliding thru your hand.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Ummmm....Bill why would you buy a whole new scoop with a fiberglass handle instead of metal just to keep your hands warm for the relatively short cold snap that you are seeing down there.....you can buy a cheap $1.99 pair of cotton work gloves and that would pretty much do the job.....I was walking down the street the other day and I came across a pot hole....I pondered hiring a road crew to come out and patch the hole so I could cross without falling in...and then I realized that I could just walk around the pothole instead.....do ya see where I'm going with this? Sometimes you just have to think these things out....I dunno is it just me? Seriously....stay with your metal scoop.....I know someone with a Nutall scoop and the rivets loosened up where the metal scoop head meets the fiberglass shaft and it is wobling away....when those rivets finally pop (and they will) you'll have to re-rivet and or replace the handle.....stick with the metal scoop and buy the cheap gloves....JMHO....Brian

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I was walking down the street the other day and I came across a pot hole....I pondered hiring a road crew to come out and patch the hole so I could cross without falling in...and then I realized that I could just walk around the pothole instead.....do ya see where I'm going with this? Sometimes you just have to think these things out....I dunno is it just me?"

I'm sure your intent wasn't derogatory, but it appears that way when read. :icon_scratch:

The O.P. posted a reasonable question. :icon_thumright:

This is an opportunity to discuss the various types of scoops and hand protection.

For example, arthritic joints of the hand may be protected by larger diameter handles.

:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
GuerillaBill

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I agree, buying a pair of gloves is the simple solution.

But I've got 4 detectors and only two long handled sand scoops, and thought that maybe getting a fiberglass handled scoop would solve two problems.

With another scoop, I'd have something friends could use when they visit, and something that might be a little warmer than metal.

But gloves are the easy solution, and I'm very happy with the metal scoops - except when the temps are freezing or below.

On the other hand, it sure is fun to look at metal detecting related goodies ... maybe I need one of these http://www.kellycodetectors.com/nokta/nokta_buy.htm

Bill

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfdigger said:
Ummmm....Bill why would you buy a whole new scoop with a fiberglass handle instead of metal just to keep your hands warm for the relatively short cold snap that you are seeing down there.....you can buy a cheap $1.99 pair of cotton work gloves and that would pretty much do the job.....I was walking down the street the other day and I came across a pot hole....I pondered hiring a road crew to come out and patch the hole so I could cross without falling in...and then I realized that I could just walk around the pothole instead.....do ya see where I'm going with this? Sometimes you just have to think these things out....I dunno is it just me? Seriously....stay with your metal scoop.....I know someone with a Nutall scoop and the rivets loosened up where the metal scoop head meets the fiberglass shaft and it is wobling away....when those rivets finally pop (and they will) you'll have to re-rivet and or replace the handle.....stick with the metal scoop and buy the cheap gloves....JMHO....Brian

Ah come on, this sounds kind of mean.......... ???

Since you already have a metal scoop the pipe wrap to insulate the handle will help along with a pair of neoprene gloves. The gloves aren't waterproof, but they protect from the wind too. I understand the colder limbs. I have a Sunspot scoop with the hardwood handle but that even can get cold.

Take Care,
Sandman

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GuerillaBill said:
I agree, buying a pair of gloves is the simple solution.

But I've got 4 detectors and only two long handled sand scoops, and thought that maybe getting a fiberglass handled scoop would solve two problems.

With another scoop, I'd have something friends could use when they visit, and something that might be a little warmer than metal.

But gloves are the easy solution, and I'm very happy with the metal scoops - except when the temps are freezing or below.

On the other hand, it sure is fun to look at metal detecting related goodies ... maybe I need one of these http://www.kellycodetectors.com/nokta/nokta_buy.htm

Bill
Now you changed from the first post, if you needed another scoop for friends then Brian would not have said just buy gloves. 20 degrees isn't even cold weather, come here to NJ beaches at 11 degrees with 40mph winds wind chill -9 dragging a SS scoop for 5hrs. I think he was right on with his post! But if you need an extra scoop then say that! steve

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
The more I find the warmer I get. Same goes for when nature calls, I forget about it untill I am heading for the car. Then I drive like a mad man to get home. ;D

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Bill should have said in his original post that he was looking for another scoop....instead of making it sound like the metal scoop was too cold for his poor hands during the unusual cold snap in South fla.....I was simply taking his post at face value and demonstrating absurdity with absurdity....that's all.....I think folks on here have to stop being sooooo sensitive and stop worrying that someone might get their precious feelings hurt.....Cmon guys....time to suck it up a little and stop wearing those feelings on your sleeves!! :laughing9: :laughing7: If you noticed I DID give him a possible solution to his problem....and didn't just "flame" him.....JMHO....Brian

Ah come on, this sounds kind of mean.......... ???

Since you already have a metal scoop the pipe wrap to insulate the handle will help along with a pair of neoprene gloves. The gloves aren't waterproof, but they protect from the wind too. I understand the colder limbs. I have a Sunspot scoop with the hardwood handle but that even can get cold.

Take Care,
Sandman
[/quote]

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

Just get a pair of dive gloves.... :icon_thumright:

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bill.I agree with Sandman,I think i might be down your way this weekend, An i will give ya a ring, An i will show ya my winter scoop :tongue3:

D

digum smacks

hummmm 20 degrees isnt cold, ???last time i checked water freezes at 32.ok i will agree with you because you are from up north,but heres one you cant grasp you come down here in the summer, it gets 102 and i will argue with you that it isnt hot :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buried Crap NJ said:
Now you changed from the first post, if you needed another scoop for friends then Brian would not have said just buy gloves. 20 degrees isn't even cold weather, come here to NJ beaches at 11 degrees with 40mph winds wind chill -9 dragging a SS scoop for 5hrs. I think he was right on with his post! But if you need an extra scoop then say that! steve

BCNJ, what is your humidity there, here it is 85-90 % now. It makes a big difference with the weather. There is a big difference between 20 degrees with 80%+ humidity and 20 degrees with 50% humidity. It is an extremely wet cold down here......

Before anyone says I don't know what real cold is, I speak from experience when it comes to cold weather too. I have live in Colorado, Western Nebraska, Nothern Iowa, Northern Minnesota, Northern North Dakota. In North Dakota +11 degrees with wind chill of -9 would have been considered a heat wave, try -30 below zero with wind chills of -50 to -60 below zero.....

Come down here in July when it is 99 degrees and humidity is 95 percent, to us its normal, but Nothern visitors think its hot....

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
He did too!! He did not!! Did Too!! Did Not!!.....
Have we already got Cabin Fever!!?? :laughing7:

Different material will pull heat from your skin at different rates...
Metal is faster that fiberglass... and fiberglass is faster than rubber.
And water can freeze you to death above 32 degrees.

Gloves would be the number one choice, your hands in cold temps, get cold anyway.
The best gloves in cold wind and water is Core-Tex. Which is a waterproof/breathable fabric,
but doesn't let wind touch your skin. When combined with an insulation, such as Thinsulate,
It's hard to beat!

Nov 20, 2009
I use hypolon, the fishing rod but material on all my scoops, it is soft and durable. A new product out is 'Dip It' spray. If you are not familiar it is a plastic liquid that hardens in air. They use it on tool handles. The spray is magic on many things, like rubber in a spray can.
Julie in Newport Beach Ca

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
FSS said:
You guys want some cheese with that wine! Kick there ass Brian :headbang:
Wine as in WHINE !!....yes FSS....I just get tired of some folks being so sickenly nice and supportive all the time on here.....Ya know?.....a little good natured criticism and "funnin" is pretty harmless.....cmon guys....if we can't get just a little edgy on here at times, then what fun is that....the world isn't all Sweetness and light....so calling someone out on a dumb question is pretty harmless in comparison.....cmon everybody...time to get over it and get a thicker skin....that's all I have to say....
PS. I hope enough people get to read this before it gets deleted :dontknow: ......Happy Hunting all....and stay warm out there....Brian

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfdigger said:
FSS said:
Wine as in WHINE !!....yes FSS....I just get tired of some folks being so sickenly nice and supportive all the time on here.....Ya know?.....a little good natured criticism and "funnin" is pretty harmless.....cmon guys....if we can't get just a little edgy on here at times, then what fun is that....the world isn't all Sweetness and light....so calling someone out on a dumb question is pretty harmless in comparison.....cmon everybody...time to get over it and get a thicker skin....that's all I have to say....
PS. I hope enough people get to read this before it gets deleted :dontknow: ......Happy Hunting all....and stay warm out there....Brian

Joking and funnin between friends is okay, just don't see the need to be derogatory and rude towards another member you don't know who was simply asking a question.......... :dontknow:

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Surfdigger said:
FSS said:

You should have said asked a question and then changed his question. Get it right. Brian answered the question on cold hands buy gloves???? If you don't like the answer change the channel! steve

Joking and funnin between friends is okay, just don't see the need to be derogatory and rude towards another member you don't know who was simply asking a question.......... :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread