Necessary accessories

xentrik1

Jan 10, 2006
I anxiously await my new detector to arrive on tuesday and I'm thinking I should start getting some accessories together now.? I am getting the Excalibur 1000 so I know I will probably need to get the straight shaft to work out its balance issues and make the waist belt for it, and a spare battery.? I'm trying to decide between the alkaline or rechargable battery pack.? What other stuff do i need to get started?? I wll probably be doing beach, underwater, and land detecting.? Mostly beach at first.? Do I need to get a pinpointer?? do they help that much?? What kind of scoop is the best?? DO I need sever different types of scoop? What other things do I need?? Why is the sky blue?

Upvote 0

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your direction sounds pretty good

check with reilly/s or bill babb for a great scoop.....................alum. or s/s.............both are great, one is heavier and the sand exits faster..................only real difference.

learn chinese, some of the holes u are getting ready to dig will be deep..............save your ammo on the pin pointer, NO GOOD in the surf...................but if u plan on relics or parks................maybe.

i put double batteries on mine.................but only for peace of mind..........only use one per hunt.

some people swear by the upper shaft mounted excal....................not me, but here is a pic of one, both scoop guys sell them

Attachments

• 2batts.jpg
    2batts.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 259
  • scoop1.jpg
    scoop1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 257
  • strait1.jpg
    strait1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 257
OP
OP
X

xentrik1

Jan 10, 2006
Thanks, So the aluminum one is lighter but the sand doesnt drain as fast? do you recommend it over the other one? is there any benefit of the the straight shaft over the stock one beesides the weight issue?

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no sand will drain as fast from either.............................alot of the times u will be on the damp sand and u must dump out the sand and kick the pile down with your foot and then scan and get the target,

working in the water, both scoops are great, but not working in the water like i said above is where the difference comes in. many scoop makers make a scoop with wire mesh end and that is the ticket for working in the damp and dry sand, u can shake the sand out with your hand and the target will be in the scoop........................shaking the scoops pictured DOES NOT HAPPEN.............We dump on sand and pick the target out.

that is the problem........................they do not make a universal scoop that will work great in every zone of the beach.

THE ONES WITH THE WIRE MESH ENDS ARE GREAT, JUST NOT AS STURDY WHEN U ARE PUSING THEM IN THE SAND ALL THE TIME, ESPECIALLY IN THE BIG WAVES.................if someone could make one that had a great strong back end, then that would be the best deal going.............

pictured here is the wire mesh model...................smaller version................they make a someone stronger model of this type that does do a good job. also pictured is a great surf scoop by a guy named chuck.................from mich. i think..............it has a wooden handle..............tuff baby and B I G.

Attachments

• KKKSCOOP2.jpg
    KKKSCOOP2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 250
  • OCEANSCOOP.jpg
    OCEANSCOOP.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 251
  • SCOOPCOMPARE.jpg
    SCOOPCOMPARE.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 251

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did not address your straight shaft deal because i do not know anything about them. i do read where everyone loves them that use them....................we have at least two here at our beach that use them and about two that use the minelab original mounted on the shaft..................very heavy that way and until i try one mounted under the end like that, i am saying it has to be kinda heavy as well................B U T i do not know this and i WILL NOT EVER FIND OUT.

here many of us belt mount ours.......................doing this all the weight is on your belt in the back and u can hunt long periods of time without any problem......................B U T one must take care to protect the wires when mounted in this manner.

i have posted these pictures before on here....................i hope no ones gets tired of looking at them.

BELTMOUNTS1.jpg

xcal3.jpg

xcal4.jpg

CABLESAVER1.jpg

SABRINA.jpg

EXCALBELT2.jpg

EXCALONBACK1.jpg

CABLESAVER3.jpg

OP
OP
X

xentrik1

Jan 10, 2006
Thanks for all the info. looks like I have a difficult choice with the scoop. I would definitely like to hip mount the excal but i do worry about the wire I don't want to damage them. I guess will will try it the way it is and see if it gets annoyingly heavy before I decide on that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions