1715 Spanish Plate Fleet Artifact?

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this at Bonsteel beach on 2/11/05. It was laying on top of the wet sand, just at the waterline. The link below shows a chinese porcelain plate from Kangxi 17th-18th Century. The symbol on the back of the plate is very similar to the symbol on the piece I found.

2010-01-08 16-18-10_0006 - plate front.jpg
2010-01-08 plate back.jpg

http://yulando.com/detail.php?id=6&num=9

Just wondering if anyone here has found porcelain pieces in the treasure coast area? Is it likely from the 1715 plate fleet? Since I recently became a fulltime resident in Brevard county, I was curious if this type of artifact shows up frequently on area beaches.

Thanks,
Dan

Upvote 0

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT
They absolutely do find porcelin from the 1715 wrecks. Usually it is a little less white from my understanding but I suggest that you take it to the McLarty museum in Sebastion and ask about it. They were very helpful when I asked about finds including urging me to look for porcelin. You can also compare it to what is in the museum.
Good Luck

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is a beautiful little piece of Kang Hsi.

You should stop by the Mel Fisher center and ask the conservators, Bill or Julie, how to make that into a pendant for a necklace. They do a really good job on the porcelain shards.

Okay Dan, now you have to help unravel the mystery of the ship off Bonsteel...lots of coins and artifacts on the beach but a ballast pile has never been found offshore.

Tom

OP
OP
DanFL1962

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks Tom, cool idea. I spoke to a metal detectorist a few years ago about taking it to the Fisher museum and he lead me to believe they snub their noses at beach hunters, and advised me not to do it. Not sure what gave him such a negative opinion but your and the others comments here have convinced me to go ahead to pay Fisher and McClarty a visit.

So no ballast near Bonsteel? As you can see, I am a noob to this site. I doubt I have anything original to offer! LOL I just admire those of you who have dedicated decades to researching and solving some of these mysteries. My head is spinning with the amount of content on TNet!

I have always wondered if the treasures in a Galleons cargo hold was in chests? Didn't the manisfests list inventory by chest number? Iron or wood chests? Some wreckage drifted to Bonsteel area before it sank? Some anomoly on the ocean floor catches shifting debris and spits it out on Bonsteel beach? LOL Thats about it for my imagination. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread