Siesta Key, Fl *hunt*

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
Hi Everyone, I spent 3 hours yesterday at Siesta Key and got nothing but exercise, a light tan on my arms, a child's matchbox toy car (that I gave to the first kid I came across), and some fun. Oh, and tons of trash. Found somebody's *empty* beer can stash!! As always, I took out all the trash, and covered all my holes. Had some Amish tourists from Pa watching me, interested to see if I find something good. It was a bit cold. I'm out on the beach in thick sweat pants & sweatshirt!! I had fun though. As usual, a bad day (hunting) at the beach, sure beats the dang snow & icy roads up north (for this truck driver!!). lol.

I had fun & treated that beach as if it was my own. I picked up trash as I went. I met a senior couple that were out for a walk, and she usually picks up trash too, but she forgot her bag, so I gave her one of my extra plastic bags. :)

Back to work tomorrow. Here is the video that I put together of my beach hunt.

Good luck to everyone on your hunts. And congrats on those that find the good stuff!! :)

skt

Upvote 0

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya ,That beach gets hammered hard by hunters,I live just down the road an i only hunt it a couple times out of the year. :tongue3:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had lots of fun!!! I really like watching detecting videos, so keep 'em coming!!
I've been trying to talk myself into going out, but since we're supposed to get snow flurries tonight here in St Pete... I'm thinking I'll let it warm up a bit before I get back out to the beaches. :(

Bran <><

Gobyman

Jul 21, 2009
SW, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Excal with 15" WOT
Hey FTH, siesta does give some finds. Here's my finds from that great beach. I started in this hobby in July 09 with a trident viper, I hit all four beaches near North Port FL (was staying with my parents after retiring from the AF). Wasn't having much luck except mostly clad. I bought a used Excal 1000 in Aug 09 and thats when I found my greatest find (the center ring in the pic, 2.4 carat platnuim setting with 14k band appraised at $9,500.00) on the first day using it. The others were from siesta as well with my Excal. Haven't had any luck in a while though, been busy going to college fulltime up in Tampa, I hit CLW once since being up in Tampa, but having to pay for parking up here really sucks. Hoping to try and hit the East side on the treasure coast and find some of that spanish history, I think that would be just as great a find as finding the ring. Well good luck and HH. 8)

Gobyman

Attachments

• siestakeysfinds.jpg
    siestakeysfinds.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 692

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
It does seem that some of the best finds on the gulf coast come from siesta key. I'm sure there is plenty there to be found.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gobyman said:
Hey FTH, siesta does give some finds. Here's my finds from that great beach. I started in this hobby in July 09 with a trident viper, I hit all four beaches near North Port FL (was staying with my parents after retiring from the AF). Wasn't having much luck except mostly clad. I bought a used Excal 1000 in Aug 09 and thats when I found my greatest find (the center ring in the pic, 2.4 carat platnuim setting with 14k band appraised at $9,500.00) on the first day using it. The others were from siesta as well with my Excal. Haven't had any luck in a while though, been busy going to college fulltime up in Tampa, I hit CLW once since being up in Tampa, but having to pay for parking up here really sucks. Hoping to try and hit the East side on the treasure coast and find some of that spanish history, I think that would be just as great a find as finding the ring. Well good luck and HH. 8)

Gobyman Thanks for the report.Maybe i should start hunting at Siesta Key again. LOL :tongue3:

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Re: Siesta Key, Fl *hunt* (& homemade underwater detector)

I covered the length of 4 lifeguard stations. Some wet sand, dry sand, and went around the vollyball courts, and even into the tot lot around the swings. Lots of people there, having fun. Running, playing, falling, laying around, etc.. But I didn't find any fresh drops, or anything good this time. But there are plenty of places to hunt in Florida. I will be going to different places in the state each month. I live in Gainesville, so I have some driving to do. But it's fun to get out & hunt.

I am also looking into getting a underwater metal detector. I found some plans on how to make your own homemade underwater metal detector. The plans only cost me $2.60. I will see what I can do with them. It looks like you just put the coil underwater & the box stays in the boat. These plans look like they are from the 1950's. lol.

I would like to make my own underwater metal detector. Find out how to seal the housing, which is the best coils to use underwater, etc..???? If all the name brands can make them, why can't I make my own?? lol.

And I'm looking at hookah rigs for some metal detecting underwater. I have some plans on making your own hookah rig too. I also found some plans on making your own Snuba setup too. Although, it's best to take classes at a PADI dive place, so you know the dangers of diving, etc.. Good idea. Get scuba certified, and use a snuba or hookah setup.
HH, skt

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Gobyman said:

Gobyman

*** Very Nice Ring in the middle, and your other rings are pretty too. *** Great finds!! Congrats! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Thanks for the video, you gotta love those "can drops". Worse thing they take so much room in your pouch. Anyway, looks like you are having fun and that is what counts. I can only think about getting out detecting here in the North East. Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread