Video: Guy with Excal ...doing it wrong?

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Chains are tuff, the bigger the coil the smaller the target is to the coil. I know my 8 inch Excalibur does much better then the 10 on chains. I hunt almetal most of the time and this methold helps on chains, almost ever chain I have found it has the medialion on it.......I have heard the detector see's each link of the chain as individual items......joe

Attachments

• 8 vs 10.jpg
    8 vs 10.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 772
OP
OP
syko

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Makes sense, I'm so used to see everybody post their finds found deep.
But then again, most are rings or chains with a medallion on it..this is just a chain.

Nice diagram btw.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I doubt that air testing any metal detector will produce real world results, due to the way the soil affects and reflects electrical signals.

This would be especially true with an excalibur and other detectors that discriminate and try to balance out the background mineralization.

Without soil surrounding or underneath the target, the target might be seen as background mineralization.

Of course if all your targets are suspended three feet in the air, then air testing might be valid.

But if your targets are in the ground, test by burying the targets in the ground.

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GuerillaBill said:
I doubt that air testing any metal detector will produce real world results, due to the way the soil affects and reflects electrical signals.

This would be especially true with an excalibur and other detectors that discriminate and try to balance out the background mineralization.

Without soil surrounding or underneath the target, the target might be seen as background mineralization.

Of course if all your targets are suspended three feet in the air, then air testing might be valid.

But if your targets are in the ground, test by burying the targets in the ground.

Bill

Bill is right on, don't get too caught up in air tests. My Excal does not air test well, but man in the real world it has no problem seeing gold deep. I have pulled us some deep gold rings with it..........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Chains are tuff, the bigger the coil the smaller the target is to the coil. I know my 8 inch Excalibur does much better then the 10 on chains. I hunt almetal most of the time and this methold helps on chains, almost ever chain I have found it has the medialion on it.......I have heard the detector see's each link of the chain as individual items......joe

Correct, it sees each link as individual targets. If the chail is laid out in a straight line it is very hard for it to see it, if it is in a tight ball it is easier, and if there is a charm or medialion it is even easier.

It is weird, I found just the lobster clasp to a gold chain one day, no chain attached, but yet have big problem finding chains, especially thin ones.... :dontknow: The good side is there isn't much gold in thin chains anyway, I would much rather find a nice fat 14-18k gold ring then a thin 2.5 gram necklace so I don't lose any sleep over it, of course the wife would love it if I found her a nice chain. She complains when I bring home just a single diamond earring, "where is the other one".

OP
OP
syko

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
As usual, the TN pros come out to answer. Thanks a lot guys, I've hung around too long without an MD, but will
soon be here posting (hopefully) some finds. I always get into my research when I get interested in something new...I'm ready for
a start to a new hobby. At least I held out long enough to buy top of the line, sometimes it's not worth it to be cheap. :D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As was said, chains are tuff for any detector to find and even harder to get a good response to an air test. Since the detectors only sees one link at a time it is harder for larger coils to see them. Also the length of the chain has no bearing on it's conductivity, it is the surface area that counts in the center of the coil.

My Excal has trouble with chains too, but finds earring backs or chains with the hasp or a pendant attached. As Treasure Hunter said, chains have very little mass and gold value. Instead of scooping all these tiny signals which could very well be split shot or bird shot your time could be better spent sweeping for the loud BOING. :thumbsup:

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
Bill is right on, don't get too caught up in air tests. My Excal does not air test well, but man in the real world it has no problem seeing gold deep. I have pulled us some deep gold rings with it..........
[/quote]

I would second that. I found have quite a few smaller chains with my excal, no gold ones all silver.

TXcoindigger

Dec 29, 2008
Just to add my 2 cents The DFX has a hard time with small gold chains as well. I have tweeked and played with all kinds of programming to try and get small chains with no luck. But like was said there is not a lot of Gold in them so I havent lost any sleep over it either.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience with finding gold chains is minimal. With the Excalibur, the two that I found in the water sounded like what a bottle cap sounds like when the coil passes over it, like the machine is trying to discriminate it out. They were maybe a few inches down. One was a bracelet and one was a piece of hollow chain, both figaro style without medalions.

I believe air testing is more for the sound. Almost all the manuals talk about air testing. From what I've read is that the detector uses a combination of factors for determining what the item is. It wasn't designed for evaluating in a matrix of air.

When I did air testing with my Infinium it scared me that it wouldn't pick up a penny at 2 inches, but I discovered I could find a tiny piece of aluminum (from a can about the size of a dime) almost a foot down in the wet sand.

I wish that I could find more chains because I know a lot of people loose them. We found one on a shipwreck last week conveniently left there by a snorkeler. It was just there out in the open on a rock. I guess I shouldn't say we because the one that found it cut in front of me to get it. >:( (that's luck for you)

Thank you for posting the videos. I watched the 2nd part too. It is sad about thinner gold chains.

Attachments

• IMGP2971.JPG
    IMGP2971.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 596

ToniSteve

May 23, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks, Sovereign GT, Excaliber 1000, XL Pro, IDX Pro with Mods, M-6, Minelab MusketeerAdvantage,
I have both the Excalibur and 2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks. In sand testing? Tiger Shark hits on chains that the Excalibur glides by. I love both detectors though. And would not sell any of them! I only wish I could find a Clean Sweep for my tigers!!!!!!!

Steve

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
What some may not know about the Excal, is that the "volume" is quite integral to your signal response....Yes , set your disc as low as you dare....and set your sens. as high as you dare...set your threshold at a comfy hum.....now , crank the volume all the way up. If it hurts your ears, put cotton balls in first. Now run your chain test and see what you think. This works on chains for me ....hope it works for others....Joe

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
It is true the Excal is not good on small chains there are many that are better. I have and love my Excal one of the best water detectors out just not good at finding chains. I have tested them in the ground and the air just does not work well. The Tiger shark is more sensitive but a PI would be the best bet for chains.

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread