I got my FIRST underwater metal detector!! Yay!

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
:hello2: Yay! I got my first underwater metal detector last night from ebay. It's a cheap little starter machine ($208). All I ask is that it stays watertight & works!! This should be ok for my first one, to get me out in & under the water. I'm so excited to get going with it.

When I was a kid, I was part fish!! lol. My parents had a hard time getting me out of the water every time we went to the beach, lake, pool, etc.. I grew up in Redondo Beach, Calif and would dive for spare change from the tourists on the pier when I was a teen. I was a avid free diver up to 25' for several years as a teen.

Now I'm back!!

To start out with, I already have my mask, fins, & snorkel. I am a short 5' 3" and will wade up to the point where it would be better for me to get face down & snorkel with md swinging. I can see the targets, kick a couple times, scoop, and surface. Here's another cute, funny thing from when I was a kid, free diving for coins. I would take a cotton tube sock & tie it to my wrist. Fill it with coins & keep it tied to my wrist so the coins wouldn't fall out. It worked pretty good, especially in the surf coming out of the water.

I would earn enough coins to pay for lunch and had such a good time. I even had a shark encounter. It was a baby shark & being a fearless teen (lol), I grabbed it and took it ashore & then posed with it for pictures from the tourists!! lol, (I'm such a ham). About an hour later, after carrying this shark around the pier with me, I tossed it back in the water, when it hit, it woke up, and swam away!! lol... hee hee.(kids!!)

I can't wait to get out there again. How does hours in the water in Florida sound to you?? hee hee.

Here is the description from the ebay ad:

We were finally able to get some of these coveted underwater detectors in stock. We can only get these when Treasure Hunter has factory extras.

For the avid beach comber, treasure diver, wader along FL's treasure coast, or deep sea diving detector, the Aquavision Pro has what you are looking for.

Unlike most underwater detectors, the Aquavision Pro works great in salt water as well as freshwater, and with a maximum depth of 132 feet, there is virtually no treasure out of your grasp. With only two knobs, this detector is a miracle of high technology. One knob is for power on, battery test, and discrimination, the other knob is for sensitivity.

Lightweight, with comfortable foam grip, this detector is a pleasure to use in or out of the water. The detector takes one Alkaline 9-volt battery which provides over 65 hours of operation time. Pinpointing is a breeze with only the slightest movement needed for positive target results.

With state of the art patented quartz crystal electronics the Aquavision Pro operates in frequencies even below the VLF (Very Low Frequency) spectrum. With the included waterproof and specially engineered piezo-elastic headphones, this detector is truly a treasure hunters dream.

Weight 6lbs

Warranty - 5-years

Submersible Headphones

Can be set to ignore small metal pieces while looking for larger objects

10" deepsearch spidercoil

Audible alarm and visual red LED flash

Aluminum control tube

Descrimination capabilities to tune out trash like pulltabs while searching for valuable treasure

Manufacturer: Treasure Hunter

Suggested Retail $795.95

** It all sounds good to me, and I will put it through it's paces ** yay!!

Susan, and my dogs Kelly & Tinky

Attachments

• 1212687447158_aqua22.jpg
    1212687447158_aqua22.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,439
Upvote 0
OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Jeep said:
This is what I use on all my O rings, it slightly swells the O ring as well as providing a great seal.

A little pricey but worth it.

It's Dow Corning 55 O ring lubricant. :thumbsup:

Thank you Jeep. I just bought the jar that I had posted the photos. I will look into yours as well. Do you think the jar I just bought would do ok?

Thanks, susan, and my dogs kelly & tinky

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FloridaTreasureFinder said:
Jeep said:
This is what I use on all my O rings, it slightly swells the O ring as well as providing a great seal.

Thank you Jeep. I just bought the jar that I had posted the photos. I will look into yours as well. Do you think the jar I just bought would do ok?

Sure it says it's comparable to Dow 111 O ring lubricant.

The only difference between Dow 111 & 55 is that 55 is Milspec rated that I can see.

Yours should work fine.

HH

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
SKT, I must say I enjoy reading your post's... and want you to be around to make many more....that's why I felt the need to post this info...today's news read sharks everywhere many east coast beaches are closed ...it seems that there is some kind of migratory thing going on with them right now so please be advised and please be carefull.....they are coming in close to shore and in murky water with low visibility they will most certainly hit on a target to see if it is edible....my nieces surfer boyfriend got bit in the heal last week leaving the surf

happy hunting! I always Carry a knife and spear gun...just in case. Sincerely, Limo Bob :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Jeep said:
Jeep said:

The only difference between Dow 111 & 55 is that 55 is Milspec rated that I can see.

Yours should work fine.

HH

Thank you Jeep. It cost me less than $5.00. Also, have you ever known a UMD to leak around the knob areas? If so, would (before taking it in water), it be a good idea to put some silicone lube around the knobs? Where they connect with the housing?

Thank you, skt

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
scubatreasure said:
SKT, I must say I enjoy reading your post's... and want you to be around to make many more....that's why I felt the need to post this info...today's news read sharks everywhere many east coast beaches are closed ...it seems that there is some kind of migratory thing going on with them right now so please be advised and please be carefull.....they are coming in close to shore and in murky water with low visibility they will most certainly hit on a target to see if it is edible....my nieces surfer boyfriend got bit in the heal last week leaving the surf

happy hunting! I always Carry a knife and spear gun...just in case. Sincerely, Limo Bob :icon_pirat:

Hi Limo Bob, thank you for the heads up. I have not checked any news of the beach areas lately so I would of not known about them. I am always leary of going into murky waters. I think it's too cold for me to get in the water still. But in March I will go. And I should keep a surf/beach report handy, perhaps a rss feed, so I can know before I go. I don't have a wetsuit right now. May need to get one in future for when I swim the springs, lakes, rivers and perhaps ocean during colder times.

I also like the idea of carrying a knife with me. I don't have a spear gun though. But not a bad idea.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help & advice.
skt

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
I too keep a knife on my belt.. It comes in handy for many things..

Now, no need to be like that just because we threaten to jump you and take that Diamond and Sapphires ring you found.............

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeep said:
Jeep said:

Yours should work fine.

HH

Thank you Jeep. It cost me less than $5.00. Also, have you ever known a UMD to leak around the knob areas? If so, would (before taking it in water), it be a good idea to put some silicone lube around the knobs? Where they connect with the housing?

Thank you, skt

I have never put lube around the knob, man that just don't sound right, LOL

anyhow, I don't see how it could hurt and may be a good idea.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Jeep said:
Jeep said:
Jeep said:

Yours should work fine.

HH

Thank you, skt

I have never put lube around the knob, man that just don't sound right, LOL

anyhow, I don't see how it could hurt and may be a good idea.
lol, :laughing9: thanks. I will try it. lol..

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Just put silicone around the whole detector. Then wrap it around in plastic. Put it in the settings that you will always use because they won't be able to move once the silicone has set. :sign13:

;D

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
Jeep said:

The pink stuff?

PK

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JKPK1 said:
Jeep said:

The pink stuff?

PK

off white and do not use on Silicone O rings

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Got one hanginging up in my garage....

Just dont lean too hard on it. the lower shaft WILL crack.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
gold-digger said:
Got one hanginging up in my garage....

Just dont lean too hard on it. the lower shaft WILL crack.

Wow, thank you for the advice. It would be a bummer to have it leak & then the shaft crack!! I saw a place on the net that does metal detector shafts. Custom sizes, etc.. I can't remember the name. They may even be on this forum, or you can google them. I think it was something like Anderson ??
I'm not sure. But anyway, if we need a new shaft, maybe have a look at them.

thanks again, skt

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Detector Wars said:
Just put silicone around the whole detector. Then wrap it around in plastic. Put it in the settings that you will always use because they won't be able to move once the silicone has set. :sign13:

;D

That's another good idea. Thank you. I will take video of my new umd & of my hunting with it when I get home in Feb. I'm really excited to get home & get going with it.

skt

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Go to: Metaldetectorreviews.net Type in: Aquavision pro. Listen to what the ones that have it say. From what I'm reading there, you may want to send it back quick. You sure don't want to waste your time. That stuff is hard enough to find, not to mention using a tool that isn't good. Becareful. Sorry, just a messager.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
detectit said:
Go to: Metaldetectorreviews.net Type in: Aquavision pro. Listen to what the ones that have it say. From what I'm reading there, you may want to send it back quick. You sure don't want to waste your time. That stuff is hard enough to find, not to mention using a tool that isn't good. Becareful. Sorry, just a messager.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

skt

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new detector.An good luck :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread