Why I like hunting in the evening on Florida Beaches

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Last year, I did most of my beach detecting in the early morning.

I'd get up before dawn, suit up, and hit the beaches - hoping to be the first guy with a detector on the beach that day.

That worked out pretty well, but getting up before dawn got old pretty quickly.

This year, I hit the beaches about two hours before sunset, right as the beach goers pack up and head home.

This has three major advantages:

1. I get a chance at the fresh drops for the day - plus I can still easily find the towel marks and this lets me know where to hunt

2. I don't have to get up before dawn

3. And I get to see some pretty spectacular sunsets, like the one below.

On cooler winter days, I'm often the only person on the beach by the time the sun goes down - which means wide open hunting grounds, no tourists asking questions, and no trouble finding my car in the parking lot when I leave.

Bill

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Florida sunset Bill. I also like to hunt the latter part of the day for the same reasons, that is if I can't hunt from dawn to dusk ;D. :icon_thumright:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a morning person, so that's the only time I would go... but your thinking makes sense!!

Bran <><

TXcoindigger

Dec 29, 2008
Very nice video and beautiful sunset.
I agree there is nothing like the beach when the people have gone and it is just you and the detector.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I play the tide game, and like a low around 5 pm for the reasons ya state, but won't turn down a low early in the morn either...

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the sunset video.

:wink: RR

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the sunset video as it brought back memories. I used to hit the beaches in the early morning but later in the day is really better for the reasons you mentioned. Plus you get the pick of the junk the beach goers leave behind, like returnable bottles or cans, towels for rags in the garage, sun glasses, bags of charcoal, heck about anything.

You get first pick of recent drops and nice memories for the night. I still have trouble sleeping unless I can hear my ocean waves at night from when I used to be able to sleep on the beach.

tentpegs

Oct 15, 2006
spain
Detector(s) used
ex 1000 surfmaster pi
I go early morning its quite and the towel line stays where it is. We dont have much tide over here. HH

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I have to hunt early in the mornings but I envy you guy n gals that can hunt the late evenings. It sounds fantastic! Maybe someday. I loved the video! I loved the fact that you said where it was and what camera you used. Awsome!

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying for years to see one, but, sunsets over the water are pretty rare here on the East side of Florida. ;D The bikinis aren't bad though. :icon_sunny:

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A late buddy of mine nearly got mugged at Daytona Beach when he was detecting at day break. He told me there wasn't a soul on the beach except him and these two young thugs who were watching him from the Boardwalk. ??? When they left the walkway and started to follow him is when he angled off toward a resort that had some people milling around. I always hunt with a buddy and carry a long handled SS scoop. :thumbsup:

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt Daytona Beach all the time and I have a 'carry permit'.

dadoftwogirls

Mar 15, 2010
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Daydream said:
I hunt Daytona Beach all the time and I have a 'carry permit'.

I have a concealed carry in Florida as well and always carry when I detect. I never actually get in the water so it isn't a problem for me. I am not looking for a confrontation. However, wearing headphones and being engaged in hunting, you never know in todays world. I always try and keep notice of my surroundings as not to get caught off guard. The persons approach of moving towards other people is well thought out and smart.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Vid.....

Wow, What a Beautiful Blessing....thanks for sharing!...Joe

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
Very nice video, thanks for sharing. I'm not much of a morning person so days/eves would be preferred. But if I'm motivated enough, I'll get up at sunrise. But not too often. My trucking job often gets me up at 3am, 4am, 5am, etc.. too early, but not much choice. I just spent a day at Daytona recently and had a good time. Cops were out in force for spring break. And I agree it's always good to keep a sharp eye out for suspicious characters. I have to do that at truck stops, rest areas, etc.. all the time, being as I am a female driver. Hunting with a buddy is a good idea too, I agree. :)

skt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread