Homemade Shallow Water Tools ($9 long handle scoop)

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Im still waiting on my Stingray II.
I'm convinced I'll do well in the water because almost nobody MD's around these parts and people throng to every beach in all but the worst weather. I do have a wife, a 7 year old and a 3 year old and we just bought a beautiful new home last October so my wife is understandably tight with the cash. After having the Tesoro shipped to Japan the cost is nearing $400. I needed to put together some tools that were functional yet I could buy with my own pocket money and not have to hit her up again. Here's what I did. The scoop cost me about $9 and I have about $15 in the floating sifter. The scoop only needs to last me long enough to find about $200 in gold so that I can buy a good scoop. I don't think I could buy a better sifter though.
Give me your estimates on how long you think the scoop will last ;D
shopping trip with prices.jpg
Here's what I spent. I converted currency and measurements. I dont have a welder so I was limited.
shallow water family.JPG

Attachments

• sideboards attach 2.jpg
    sideboards attach 2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,856
  • scoop 1.JPG
    scoop 1.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,823
  • floating sifter box 1.JPG
    floating sifter box 1.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,909
  • floating sifter box 2.JPG
    floating sifter box 2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,913
Upvote 0

wodens

Apr 22, 2008
Fair play to you for having a go at making a scoop :icon_thumright: Time will tell if it holds up to what you want it to do. Good luck!

HH
Alan

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Is that thing made in Japan? :laughing7: Just Kidding. I have complete respect for your vision of seeing everyday objects and wonder how they could be altered to suit TH'ing purposes. I think this is how many great tools have come about. It will be a trial and error process. This may be the first version. You never know, your final version could be a stroke of genius and greatly benefit yourself and the hobby. Stick with it :icon_thumright:, JJ

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oledavidboy,

Next to the detector, the scoop is the most valuable and important tool a water hunter uses. No wanting to rain on your parade and the work you put in, but digging in the sand puts a LOT of stress on the scoop, and your version doesn't appear it is going to hold up for more then a few digs. Most good targets are not on the top surface, they sink in the sand as they are heavier then the sand, 6 inches or more is normal for wet sand, and 8-12 inches is common, wet sand is not easy to dig in..........Unless you live on the beach be sure to take a shovel with you as it is real frustrating to make a trip to the beach, and find you can't hunt it because of an equipment malfuntion.....I am speaking from experience, I even carry a back up scoop now...........

Good luck sir... :icon_thumright:

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Treasure_Hunter said:
oledavidboy,

Next to the detector, the scoop is the most valuable and important tool a water hunter uses. No wanting to rain on your parade and the work you put in, but digging in the sand puts a LOT of stress on the scoop, and your version doesn't appear it is going to hold up for more then a few digs. Most good targets are not on the top surface, they sink in the sand as they are heavier then the sand, 6 inches or more is normal for wet sand, and 8-12 inches is common, wet sand is not easy to dig in..........Unless you live on the beach be sure to take a shovel with you as it is real frustrating to make a trip to the beach, and find you can't hunt it because of an equipment malfuntion.....I am speaking from experience, I even carry a back up scoop now...........

Good luck sir... :icon_thumright:

Backup scoop & detector....long ride home if something breaks

Attachments

• smiley pumpkin like.jpg
    smiley pumpkin like.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,231

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A good scoop is vital. Even the heavy metal scoops with no brace can break. I doubt a pooper scooper scoop will work. Just my 2 cents.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeeze,

If you're trying to make a tool with pocket change & basic hand tools, a run what cha brung scoop is better than no scoop :icon_thumleft: To the holier than thou people out there, ever wonder what your $150 scoops looked like in the first stages? Ever do any exploring in old mines & see what kind of tools they cobbled together from bea cans & a little screen etc. Ever look in some of the magazines from the 60s & 70s to see what scoops looked like, or what a beach cart is?

The floating sifter looks great for what it cost. An improvement over our old motorcycler innertube around a wood box with 1/2" hardware cloth on the bottom ::) As far as the scoop goes might add a couple strips of metal running from the front sides to a point higher up on the handle to keep it from snapping off. Over all, MacGyver would be proud of ya!!!! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

If it breaks & bends, send it to the mods! :D Maybe they can use it to remedy some of the attitudes.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My 2c worth: Yeah it'll work OK in the dry sand. Wet sand? No way.

Here's one idea: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,339970.0.html

I just bought a 99$ stainless 40ga that I'm installing a handle ... cheap for the quality they usually go for 150$+. He's posted on here and sells them on ebay ..don't have a link right now.

HH Joe

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine fine job on the sifter - scoop......is a 30/30

u waisted money and time of that other thing...............30 / 30............30ft or 30 seconds whatever comes 1st.

pure wastes of good time and energy, but metal detecting is a true learning experience for sure.

good luck......stick with that shovel u said u had.

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will not be happy when that scoop breaks and you head back home with no loot in hand. Your theory is good but the materials are not. Keep hunting the dry sand and get up enough money for a good water scoop. In the water, your detector is worthless unless you have a good scoop to lift the heavy sand. Use a regular shovel with your sifter, you will be better off.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon people, this is an old topic. I'm sure the OP has found out if it held up or not.

deadhorse.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread