Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Also, note that a river current causing the erosion will have a different effect than at the beach. If you had a 2' cut caused by a ripping river current, then you need to note where the sediment is being deposited and hunt upstream from that point as the lightest materials are the last to precipitate out of the current. Water is a powerful force. I've seen rocks (near boulder size) moved by flood waters. Coins and jewelry can easily be removed. That doesn't mean to ignore the new "old" surface exposed. Indeed, there might be some hidden goodies that are within detection.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would say no. Two different arenas. On the ocean, targets to "in and out". But in a river, they would only go downstream (not back upstream). Also, it would seem to me that river erosion (during storm runoff high water events) would be a fairly annual thing. So while it may look impressive, I'm betting that strata has been exposed over and over and over again, and refilled back in with sediment over and over and over again frequently (historically speaking). But I'm talking from a central coast CA perspective, where our creeks and rivers are "boom and bust" type cycles. I'm in a terrain/climate known as "chapparel", which might have different river/erosion/cut rules than other parts of the USA.

I know that on our beaches, where creeks, gully washes, and rivers meet the ocean, that water channel cuts (from rain runnoff) are NEVER as good as ocean formed cuts. The cuts formed in the gullys where rain has carved paths to the sea *look* impressive, but they never are as good as the perpendicular cuts formed by the ocean, when it cuts onto the beach. JMHO.

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
The well made and accurate point made by Tom notwithstanding, get out there anyway. In NC, like FL, you know there may well be new fossils and artifacts exposed.. both considered 'treasures' IMHO.. :-)

~Mike

OP
OP
JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Well that's good to know and will give it a good search. My propertly is adjacent to the river, the deposit area is very close to my house, about a stones throw away. I hunted there before but didn't find much except old shotgun shells and a clad dime. I'll hit the cuts today and then go along the river bank this weekend.

Would be nice if my back yard turns out to be a good place to metal detect. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread