Digging the deeeeep stuff on a "short beach"......(video)

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Digging the deeeeep stuff on a "short beach"......(video)

The last storm that blew through here at the Jersey Shore managed to pull sand down from the top down to the water and exposed some really deep coins and jewelry.....and Bruce and I were in the right place at the right time......

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Upvote 0

ghiotom

Feb 6, 2010
Re: Digging the deeeeep stuff on a "short beach"......(video)

Thanks as always for sharing that video. I really respect your opinion and appreciate the knowledge you've shared. I do have a question, though. You said you run in all metal listening for slight changes, but I seem to be able to go deeper with disc on, fully ccw. I've seen posts from Excalibur/Sovereign owners who run it like I do and others who run all metal and dig everything or flip to disc to ID the target. Do you think it's deeper in all metal or is that just a personal preference?

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Brian as always great stuff. I'll be out tomorrow looking for gold. I can't wait for your answer to the above question. My AM mode is very low and barely audible when pinpointing. As you know I have a new Excal but with that sub Aqua setting That Bruce was going to find out what that was all about?
Steve

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300

Nice video! Thanks for sharing it.

Bill

OP
OP
Surfdigger

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used

ghiotom said:
Thanks as always for sharing that video. I really respect your opinion and appreciate the knowledge you've shared. I do have a question, though. You said you run in all metal listening for slight changes, but I seem to be able to go deeper with disc on, fully ccw. I've seen posts from Excalibur/Sovereign owners who run it like I do and others who run all metal and dig everything or flip to disc to ID the target. Do you think it's deeper in all metal or is that just a personal preference?

I can now say that having experienced all of the Excalibur models since my first one (serial #157) in 1994.....I truely believe that the all metal mode is deeper if and only if you set the sensitivity correctly for the type of beach you are hunting....I really only use this technique on beaches with light/moderate iron content.....sooooo...to answer your question....yes it works great for me....HH....Brian

OP
OP
Surfdigger

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used

Buried Crap NJ said:
Brian as always great stuff. I'll be out tomorrow looking for gold. I can't wait for your answer to the above question. My AM mode is very low and barely audible when pinpointing. As you know I have a new Excal but with that sub Aqua setting That Bruce was going to find out what that was all about?
Steve

You know Steve....I think "Sub Aqua" naturally refers to underwater setting.....maybe it is more a setting for someone diving with the machine where they would submerge it in greater water pressure.....just a guess here....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Great Video Brian, You and Bruce are hard core hunters to endure these ruff weather conditions, and to shoot video on top of that....thank you for giving us snow bound pirates some peace. On the Almetal/Reverse hunting looks like you have come to master this great hunting style with the Excalibur. On the question which works best, the matrix of the sand and water {salt or fresh} plays a big part on what works at one beach and not another. So it is up to the hunter to determine {test} which works best on the beach, lake or location at that time.
Great Quote from.......Steve Herschbach
But at the end of the day never forget that metal detecting is very site dependent and so what works well in one location will be lackluster in another. Use what works!

Joe/obn

vfr800

Greenie
Mar 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Surfmaster II, Excal II, Sov. GT

Joe, you couldn't have said it any better..............

Chris In W Georgia

Oct 25, 2004

Great video!!! I wish I wouldn't have sold my Excal 1000 w/ the blue headphones several yrs ago..Looks like its time for a Excal 2... HH Chris In W Georgia now Transplanted to Coin Beach area

Oscar

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2010

surfdigger, what kindd of scoop are you using and where can you get one, i was watching your video and am just curious, i want to get a lighter one just for the beach, i have a sunspot for in the water (witch i think is great) but gets heavy out of the water, also i think there are better scoops for just beach hunting. thanks for any info

OP
OP
Surfdigger

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used

Oscar said:
surfdigger, what kindd of scoop are you using and where can you get one, i was watching your video and am just curious, i want to get a lighter one just for the beach, i have a sunspot for in the water (witch i think is great) but gets heavy out of the water, also i think there are better scoops for just beach hunting. thanks for any info

The Scoop that I use is about 15 years old and was made by Treasure Coast Scoops in Florida....they are no longer in business.....HH...Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread