Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Ideas-Post About Subject Only!

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Idea's-Post About Subject Only!

I was surfing through scoops, and came across some heavy duty, stainless steel, 3 qt. scoops, that might be possible to drill some holes, and attach a handle. The scoop is only $29. If anyone tries it, let us know. Looks like it would even be great for a hand scoop.
http://www.instawares.com/utility-scoop-3qt.jro-3953.0.7.htm There is also a 4 qt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Re: Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Idea-What Do You Think?

Treasure_Hunter said:
detectit,

Why are you going off? WHO WENT OFF FIRST, ATTACKING ME?? :dontknow: Errikk did not attack you. SO YOU SAY! What is it you object to, he mearly stated "If U have actually hunted in the surf U would know why that scoop just won't cut it no matter how sturdy. WELL..TH IF YOU HAD OF ACTUALLY HUNTED...WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES THAT MAKE ANYWAY? YOU EVER TRIED TO CREATE A WATER SCOOP FROM THIS SCOOP? HOW DOES ANYONE KNOW, IF THEY DON'T TRY. it might "pick up loads of wet sand " WET SAND IS PART OF THE JOB, JACK! WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?? A BUNCH OF ARGUMENTIVE NONSENSE. but I am hunting to recover targets...........

We all (WE ALL? YOU ARE SPEAKING FOR EVERYONE??) basically said the same thing, it is not a scoop we (must not be for you) would want to use based on our experience water hunting, not a good *YOU DON'T KNOW FOR SURE DO YOU?* scoop for water hunting. WHO SAYS, YOU? We were just sharing our knowledge and experience with you and the readers................ THE EXPERIENCE OF NOT KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS IDEA. WHAT'S THE RUSH TO JUDGEMENT?
Hey, TH, the scoop is not the problem. Or, is it? Is the scoop business so strong, there are no open ideas for a possible usage of some other items that could be turned into a great homemade water scoop, that works great. I've not tried converting this scoop into a homemade water scoop (have you?), but watch and see how many WILL be building homemade scoops, of some sort, not wanting to dole out several hundred dollars.Believe it or not. Schedule 40 PVC will work well also. So let me get this straight. NO ONE has built one, and you better not. It won't work. No thought for discussion. Buy one, and shut up. What kind of thinking is that, TH? THE EARTH IS FLAT? Ideas are just that, someone may have a different idea/thought, so be it. If there is no room for discussion around here, what is this forum all about anyway, TH?

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Detectit,
You presented an idea for a homemade scoop, the base or foundation is a 40.00 SS ice or grain scooper, you presented no exact plan. You asked for input. Several experienced fellow members gave you a laundry list of reasons why they didn't think it was a good plan, we're helping you by doing this, we don't want to see you waste your time and money on this plan.
You have been very insistent that this is a good plan. I don't think you're being realistic as far as this plan goes. I don't know about anyone else, but you're not going to change my mind on this plan, try something else.
I think a good scoop, capable of all that comes with digging at the beach thru the hard pack, rocks and shells can easily be made at home by someone who has the skill and access to metal fabrication equipment and material.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

TreasurdiggrNY said:
Detectit,
You presented an idea for a homemade scoop, the base or foundation is a 40.00 SS ice or grain scooper, you presented no exact plan. You asked for input. Several experienced fellow members gave you a laundry list of reasons why they didn't think it was a good plan, we're helping you by doing this, we don't want to see you waste your time and money on this plan.
You have been very insistent that this is a good (WHERE DID I SAY GOOD PLAN, OR EVEN GOOD IDEA?? I DON'T KNOW, AND WON'T "ACT" LIKE I DO. STOP MAKING WORDS UP OUT OF THIN AIR) plan. I don't think you're being realistic as far as this plan goes. (NO PLAN, JUST AN IDEA) I don't know about anyone else, but you're not going to change (I'M NOT TRYING TO "CHANGE" YOURS, OR ANYONE'S MINDS ABOUT ANYTHING, THAT'S RIDICLUOUS! ) my mind on this plan, try something else.
I think a good scoop, capable of all that comes with digging at the beach thru the hard pack, rocks and shells can easily be made at home by someone who has the skill and access to metal fabrication equipment and material. (MADE AT HOME, THAT'S RIGHT! BUT A REGULAR FELLOW CAN BEND METAL OUT PERFORATED SS SHEET, AND EITHER TACK IT, BOLT IT/SCREW IT, OR STRAP IT. THERE ARE MANY IDEAS FOR A GOOD HEAVY DUTY HOMESCOOP.)

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Re: Cheap Long-handle Water Scoop Idea-What Do You Think?

Ronald99 said:
Its not worth it,Buy a decent long handle scoop that will get the job done. Kellyco has nice scoops and i have a medium long handle 6061 scoop that works great,And i also have the scoop just under it and the larger "beach brute" that im trying to sell. You get what you pay for in life and if your going to so to the beach have the proper equipment that will make beach detecting easy and allow you to have fun, All my scoops are aluminum and the less weight enables you to detect longer, And after 2 and half years years the 6061 scoop still looks great .
AND TO ADD, THAT A WELL BUILT HOMEMADE SCOOP COULD BE LOOKING JUST AS GOOD.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

TreasurdiggrNY said:
Not a good idea. Yes the scoop you linked is marked 29.00, but when you check out they tack on 13.00 for shipping so then you're over 40.00. You still need a drill bit to cut the holes, and a 40-48"handle. Maybe another 25-35 bucks?
The location and the way the handle is attached to the scoop is the most important area, it takes all the stress and torque, you're going to have to get someone to weld something here. If you're bolting it on somehow you need to add the cost of the bolts, nuts and washers which have to be quality so they don't rust away. You need to calculate all the angles properly. You also only have one shot at getting it right otherwise you have to spend more money on material.
Keep in mind that a long handled scoop is really only needed for in-the-water hunting only. You can hunt the sand with other scoops that are not long handled and don't cost that much. Scoops from 40.00 - 100.00 (WHO WANTS TO KNEEL ALL THE TIME?) Check out this video, the scoop he's using is a 40.00 scoop.
http://whiteselectronics.com/videos/surfmaster300-instructional.html
BAD EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE USING A METAL DETECTOR. THIS GUY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT LOWERING HIS COIL TO INCREASE HIS ODDS OF "FINDING" ITEMS. WHY DOESN'T HE JUST RAISE IT UP ANOTHER FOOT, GET DISCUSSED, AND CALL IT A DAY.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

detectit said:
TreasurdiggrNY said:
Not a good idea. Yes the scoop you linked is marked 29.00, but when you check out they tack on 13.00 for shipping so then you're over 40.00. You still need a drill bit to cut the holes, and a 40-48"handle. Maybe another 25-35 bucks?
The location and the way the handle is attached to the scoop is the most important area, it takes all the stress and torque, you're going to have to get someone to weld something here. If you're bolting it on somehow you need to add the cost of the bolts, nuts and washers which have to be quality so they don't rust away. You need to calculate all the angles properly. You also only have one shot at getting it right otherwise you have to spend more money on material.
Keep in mind that a long handled scoop is really only needed for in-the-water hunting only. You can hunt the sand with other scoops that are not long handled and don't cost that much. Scoops from 40.00 - 100.00 (WHO WANTS TO KNEEL ALL THE TIME?) Check out this video, the scoop he's using is a 40.00 scoop.
BAD EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE USING A METAL DETECTOR. THIS GUY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT LOWERING HIS COIL TO INCREASE HIS ODDS OF "FINDING" ITEMS. WHY DOESN'T HE JUST RAISE IT UP ANOTHER FOOT, GET DISCUSSED, AND CALL IT A DAY.

You must not have watched it or you would have seen the ring he pulls out magnifier.gif

Attachments

• magnifier.gif
    magnifier.gif
    599 bytes · Views: 1,106
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Go re-read your posts, it's actually funny how you think this can work. All you keep saying is "do this" "drill this" "Maybe knock out a hole the metal, on topside, for a handle to go through, to the inside, and use two U clamps, to hold it to the back" "weld a little foot plate to push on"
"it would be well worth every dime, & time spent" laughpound.gif

Attachments

• laughpound.gif
    laughpound.gif
    4 KB · Views: 1,104
T

TreasurdiggrNY

And stop adding words to what I've posted when you quote me :tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectit,

To begin with you asked us "What Do You Think", we only told you what we thought of the idea, and that it's not going to work any where near like a real water scoop we use........

I can take that same grain scoop, attach a handle on it and dig a hole with it, but that's not going to make it a shovel. if I am trapped on a deserted island and that is all I had to dig with, then yeah I can dig holes with it, but I'm not trapped on a deserted island so I will use a real shovel....

It is the same with scoops. if you want to build that scoop build it, we are not stopping you, we only advised you it's not going to work like a real water scoop. We that hunt water regularly know what kind of scoop it takes to work in chest deep water with shell and rock bottoms, and surf rolling in on us and a target buried 12 inches deep, we want a real scoop when we are hunting...

Name of the game is to recover your target as quick as possible and move on to the next target, I need my scoop.....

beachbrute-1.jpg

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

MT Pockets said:
I would also take into consideration..The Amount of money we Spend "traveling" to all the different beaches that we hunt.. which are several hours away at times..

Cost of Gas, Hotel, Food, tolls,cocktails,Hookers, :icon_pirat: Ooops j/k :laughing7: scratch that one... 8)

It costs me a couple of Hundred per outing.. Maybe I'm a creature of habit and the last thing that I'd want is Equipment failure.. as I'm on the beach...

Sometimes, I have to walk 1 mile down the beach in order to get to my hunting grounds. The last thing I'd want to is is have to walk back because something broke or wasn't working properly...

Not everyone has the same expenses when THing.. When we hit the Beaches.. we're kinda like Storm Troopers.. Get in.. Hunt the area, get out, move on.

I say use what works for "You".. Not everyone has the funds to buy high dollar equip..

But, If your going to hunt the Surf.. HARD.. you'll want the tried and true ..Heavy Duty gear..

Good Luck with making making your own... "Not Sarcastic" I build, make, mend,etc. everyday.. Go for it..
what works for you.. may not work for others...

Treasure_Hunter said:
detectit,

To begin with you asked us "What Do You Think", we only told you what we thought of the idea, and that it's not going to work any where near like a real water scoop we use........

I can take that same grain scoop, attach a handle on it and dig a hole with it, but that's not going to make it a shovel. if I am trapped on a deserted island and that is all I had to dig with, then yeah I can dig holes with it, but I'm not trapped on a deserted island so I will use a real shovel....

It is the same with scoops. if you want to build that scoop build it, we are not stopping you, we only advised you it's not going to work like a real water scoop. We that hunt water regularly know what kind of scoop it takes to work in chest deep water with shell and rock bottoms, and surf rolling in on us and a target buried 12 inches deep, we want a real scoop when we are hunting...

Name of the game is to recover your target as quick as possible and move on to the next target, I need my scoop.....

beachbrute-1.jpg

I've thought about making this for a Beach scoop Myself.."Picture-Below" Just for the Real rocky areas that I hunt.. Where all the sand has been moved out and "ONLY" rock remain..Ofcourse I'd have to Modify it a bit..

"Fanning" helps too.
This one is very similar to mine. I've had many.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

TreasurdiggrNY said:
detectit said:
TreasurdiggrNY said:

You must not have watched it or you would have seen the ring he pulls out
AMAZING YOU WON'T AGREE WITH THAT. If it's up at the surface what ya expect? You don't know the name of the game is depth, by now? Or are you just wanting to disagree to disagree?

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

So...no one likes homemade, hummmm...not good enough. I guess NO one can make what the big boys are making. We'll ALL have to just have to go and buy one from them, and there is NO other choice. Yeah, right. One person here thinks a good scoop could be made at home. I know it can, and for a lot less than the ones being charged for. Stainless is high, but not that high. Spells, good scoop profit, or they wouldn't be makin' 'em, now would they? Of course, the people that aren't good with their hands couldn't possibly make one. Not everyone can. Has anyone made a good last lasting SS scoop, of decent weigh? Anyone?? A friend of mine welded a great long -handle, SS scoop, back in the early '80's, still going today. It can't wear out!! It won't wear out!! Are there only new product purchasers, and no DIY's here?

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

Does KELLYCO own this forum? Or some other big supply company? Anyone know who owns it?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

In February 2009. this same topic came up:
OK, how about a 6 quart sand scoop with a 3 foot handle for $20.00. I made it for my TH'ing buddy, Graffix girl. She wanted smaller holes in the middle so she wouldn't lose earrings and chains and other small gold items. 7/16 inch holes are situated on outer edge to drain off sand. Didn't drill the back as that would have weaken the metal where handle is attached. Handle is a 3 foot long hickory axe handle. I could have used a hickory post hole digger handle to make a longer handle but I think GG will like it. Scoop is a galvanized 6 quart grain scoop found in feed stores, 2- 3/8" x 2 " bolts, lock nuts and fender washers, all stainless to resist corrosion. Could have used 1.5 inch bolts but this was first attempt and better too long than too short. Drilled a hole at the top of handle and inserted a piece of rope so GG can drag it or put a clip on it. May not last as long as my Big Brute but it'll pay for itself in short order especially in this economy. Sorry no photo available as this was an old post. I've used these galvanized grain scoops and they last about 8 years. GraffixGirl sold the Axe Handle Scoop to another TH'er on the beach and didn't lose any money on the deal.
Go to this website for a good scoop that is guaranteed: http://www.rtgstore.com/. :headbang:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectit said:
Does KELLYCO own this forum? Or some other big supply company? Anyone know who owns it?

Kellyco does not own it, but they are a sponsor. Nobody here is against DIY projects, they just don't agree that the scoop you presented was worth the time, cost and effort. My scoop cost me $40, so it wouldn't be worth it to me either.

The site owners name is Marc.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

FLauthor said:
OK, how about a 6 quart sand scoop with a 3 foot handle for $20.00. I made it for my TH'ing buddy, Graffix girl. She wanted smaller holes in the middle so she wouldn't lose earrings and chains and other small gold items. 7/16 inch holes are situated on outer edge to drain off sand. Didn't drill the back as that would have weaken the metal where handle is attached. Handle is a 3 foot long hickory axe handle. I could have used a hickory post hole digger handle to make a longer handle but I think GG will like it. Scoop is a galvanized 6 quart grain scoop found in feed stores, 2- 3/8" x 2 " bolts, lock nuts and fender washers, all stainless to resist corrosion. Could have used 1.5 inch bolts but this was first attempt and better too long than too short. Drilled a hole at the top of handle and inserted a piece of rope so GG can drag it or put a clip on it. May not last as long as my Big Brute but it'll pay for itself in short order especially in this economy. Sorry no photo available as this was an old post. I've used these galvanized grain scoops and they last about 8 years. GraffixGirl sold the Axe Handle Scoop to another TH'er on the beach and didn't lose any money on the deal.
Go to this website for a good scoop that is guaranteed: http://www.rtgstore.com/. :headbang:
Way to go! See everyone, what can be accomplished. Thanks!

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

MT Pockets said:
RTG is the Bomb !!!!!

They go ABOVE AND BEYOND !!!!!

GOOD OPPORTUNITY FOR YOUR COMMERICAL HERE, huh...MT? ANYONE COUNTING THE NUMBER OF COMMERCIALS FOR NEW MARKETED PRODUCTS SO FAR?

FLauthor said:

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

Treasure_Hunter said:
detectit said:
The hole drilling would be the killer. Although if you have the time, drill, and save tons. If a DIY person has the time, on a rainy day, when you can't hunt, or you're snowed in, something else to consider, is perforated metal (holes already there). http://www.smallparts.com/ Type in: perforated metal sheet. They have CHEAP 12 X 24 sheets ($22.00), with 1/2" holes, and smaller. Good, strong 16 gauge, or 14 gauge, and could be bent. Welding would not be needed. I know a sheet metal guy that will form one for $25. A few U clamps, a wooden handle, and off to the beach with you, for decades of service. This is a discussion, not an influencing, underminding ploy to sell marketed, manufactured products, that make someone else money. Those that want to push their wares, start a commerical on another thread. This site is funded by commerical products, but we will have freedom of speech in this forum to discuss, right? ***Because I'm a JUNIOR doesn't mean the all knowing HERO (Erikk) is going to run up and down my back, and abuse me. This guy KNOWS NOTHING about me.

detectit,

Errick is a respected (RESPECTED MEMBERS SHOULD GIVE RESPECT!) member here, he is not abusing (YOUR RIGHT, HE STOPPED. THE ONE POST WAS ABUSIVE ENOUGH FOR ME.) you, he may know nothing about you(WELL HE MIGHT WANT TO CURB HIS FINGER TYPING LIPS THEN), but he knows about water hunting and scoops as do the others who replied. What Errick told you is the truth. Will your scoop get by some what as a cheap scoop, yes, will it function perform, and last in the surf like a professional scoop will NO...(THAT'S YOUR OPINION, YOU'VE NEVER USED ONE, OR EVEN SEEN ONE PUT TO THE TEST! HAVE YOU??)

All Errick did (THAT WAS ALL HE DID, HUH?)was give you advice same as I and others did, we did not tell you not to do it your way. (MY WAY? LOOK AT ORIGINAL POST. I'M NOT EVEN BUILDING ONE, GIVE ME A BREAK! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU FELLOW?) I have seen lots of homemade scoops, the only ones I have seen that works as well as the commercial ones are the scoops members made and welded out of stainless steal...No one is trying to rain on your (NO RAIN HERE, MUCH LESS A PARADE) parade, we (SOME ARE GIVING BETTER ADVICE THAN OTHERS, RIGHT? SOME ARE EVEN GIVING ADVICE! AMAZING! SOME CAN GET OFF THE ATTACK/RANT, LONG ENOUGH!)are just giving you advice based on our experience.
NOW THAT YOU'VE EXPLAINED THINGS TO ME, ERIKK IS VERY PROUD OF YOU. GO PAT EACH OTHER ON THE BACK.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

TreasurdiggrNY said:
detectit said:
There are people that HAVE built long lasting, if not, permenant lasting, do-it-yourself scoops, for little money.

Show me pics and links to all these home made scoops. If they're that good why not just copy what they did?
SHOW ME, SHOW ME. ARE YOU FROM MISSOURI? GO TO EBAY, AND OTHER PLACES. YOU'LL FIND SOME, DON'T WORRY.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

GibH said:
detectit said:

Kellyco does not own it, but they are a sponsor. Nobody here is against DIY projects, they just don't agree (I DON'T CARE ABOUT AGREEMENT WITH IT! IT WAS JUST A IDEA.) that the scoop you presented was worth the time, cost and effort. My scoop cost me $40, so it wouldn't be worth it to me either.

The site owners name is Marc.
I APPRECIATE THAT. IT'S NO BIG DEAL ABOUT THE SCOOP I PRESENTED. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO ME. IT WOULD ACTUALLY TAKE TO LONG TO DRILL SO MANY HOLES. PERFORATED PLATE IS THE BEST PURCHASE. THANKS!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions