Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Ideas-Post About Subject Only!

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Idea's-Post About Subject Only!

I was surfing through scoops, and came across some heavy duty, stainless steel, 3 qt. scoops, that might be possible to drill some holes, and attach a handle. The scoop is only $29. If anyone tries it, let us know. Looks like it would even be great for a hand scoop.
http://www.instawares.com/utility-scoop-3qt.jro-3953.0.7.htm There is also a 4 qt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Re: Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Idea-What Do You Think?

I know it's going to be hard for you, but from here on out, any jerks that want to start trouble, PLEASE DON'T POST ANYTHING HERE! Thank you for your cooperation. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Talking to me like. You almost made me cry! NOW, there's your sarcasm. LOL Just be nice to people. NOTHING IS INFALIBLE!! There are heavy SS scoop companies that have had to stop manufacturing because of bad products! Pulled 'em! Some know what I mean, don't you? Manufactured scoops tearing up, and no one disagrees?? Wonder why NO ONE would want to mention this? Blows 'em out of the water, and they then become wrong, and NOT right, about about building your own super strong water scoop.

Good! Now that we have ALL THAT out of the way, maybe we can get on with some possible ideas for a good heavy duty, long lasting, HOMEMADE scoop for some that don't have barrels of money, as some obviously do. That is, if anyone is interested, after being forced to wade through the gauntlet here.

Before this economic fraud is all over with, the FRN, fiat S_ _T money they have us under, is going away. Real gold and silver is going to make a huge, devastating come back. Cash, in the form of metal, will be KING. NOT FRN's! Wait and see, detector companies will reaping massive profits, scoop builder's, hunting supplies, etc.. They probably will not be able to keep up with the demand. After people find out that the Amero is coming, and the FRN's are devalued, watch what happens. I told a friend back in the early 80's, that gold was going up to near $1000 oz.. Know what he said? We were on our HOMEMADE, 8' X 12', four inch dredge we custom built, using certain Keene components. He said, "I don't believe that." It wasn't 7-8 months later, he had to eat every word. That came from my dad. He watched investments, stock market, etc.. So...it matters not what you believe, it sure WON'T change the truth. Oh, and the dredge, it is completely satisfying, in every way you can think, to see bunches of coal black coins pop-up onto that 1/2" hardware cloth! We took it to an old harbor, got underneath were the soda machines were, obviously, due to all the black coming up. But the MOST marvelous coin found was a 1916D Merc. If you don't know already, check it out. It was brilliantly preserved! I looked like it just came out of the roll, due to being down in mud, and muck. Didn't realize what it was at first. Nice surprise.

GOLD IS NOT DONE! It may hit near $4000. The brilliant, Gerald Celente, of the Trends Research Institute, predicted gold going up to $1000-4000, over a year ago! People thought he was mental. His forecasts have been spot on! Been right for 30 years. He's amazed everyone. Featured on Fox News, CNN, etc. He predicted tent cities, guess what? The news has shown some, but they won't let you see much. Type his name in on, youtube, and get the "REAL SCOOP" on what is going to befall the American people, as well as other countries. If anyone wants to disagree with that, knock yourself out. Point being, good people, out of work will be looking for real money/precious metals. People that have never metal detected in their life, will be looking. With jobs being sent to Mexico, China, Canada, etc., people will have plenty of time to look. They're starting now. So get ready for the competition. They're coming. People are going to be BARTERING. People that have never grown a garden, will be growing gardens in their yards. Your world is about to change. You ain't seen nothing yet!

The unrest is going to get tough. Universities will have massive protests, due to NO work, and not being able to secure jobs. -Celente

So.. this might help out a few people, that don't have a great deal of money, to get into the water. Because we all know, there is much stuff out there.
The nice fellow, Peter, thought that all those the holes would be rough to drill, and certainly I agree. If you have the time it will probably work. Just about anything can be beefed up, and strengthened. No one knows, if this scoop will work, but for the sake of just strutting their tail feathers, seem to know about anything. No one has built one? PETER, THANKS for BEING HELPFUL, AND ADDING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE. 16 gauge, 12" X 12" perforated SS sheet metal plate, with 1/2", or 3/8" holes should be the ticket. One or two sheets can be purchased at, www.smallparts.com Small scoop, 1 sheet. Big one, 2 sheets. $27.44 shipped for one sheet. They're on Amazon also. Some scoop manufacturers sure use perforated sheet. Can't be all BAD. Someone with a good imagination could form one of the finest, heavy duty scoops out there. A welder around here will charge $25 for a few minutes work., if you have it formed and ready. It won't take long. You could use a few 1/2" long bolts/washers. Stainless preferably. Sure no holes to drill. The bolts will clamp it tight. Go to Lowes and pickup a good wooden, or better yet, a good fiberglass handle. Use your imagination go, and see where it goes.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Re: Cheap Long-handle Water Scoop Idea-What Do You Think?

TreasurdiggrNY said:
detectit said:
TreasurdiggrNY said:
Not a good idea. Yes the scoop you linked is marked 29.00, but when you check out they tack on 13.00 for shipping so then you're over 40.00. You still need a drill bit to cut the holes, and a 40-48"handle. Maybe another 25-35 bucks?
The location and the way the handle is attached to the scoop is the most important area, it takes all the stress and torque, you're going to have to get someone to weld something here. If you're bolting it on somehow you need to add the cost of the bolts, nuts and washers which have to be quality so they don't rust away. You need to calculate all the angles properly. You also only have one shot at getting it right otherwise you have to spend more money on material.
Keep in mind that a long handled scoop is really only needed for in-the-water hunting only. You can hunt the sand with other scoops that are not long handled and don't cost that much. Scoops from 40.00 - 100.00 (WHO WANTS TO KNEEL ALL THE TIME?) Check out this video, the scoop he's using is a 40.00 scoop.
http://whiteselectronics.com/videos/surfmaster300-instructional.html
BAD EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE USING A METAL DETECTOR. THIS GUY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT LOWERING HIS COIL TO INCREASE HIS ODDS OF "FINDING" ITEMS. WHY DOESN'T HE JUST RAISE IT UP ANOTHER FOOT, GET DISCUSSED, AND CALL IT A DAY.

You must not have watched it or you would have seen the ring he pulls out
YOU MUST NOT HAVE SEEN ME WATCH IT! OR DID YOU?

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Idea's-Post About Subject Only

whats the use of asking a question and then when you get the answer you dont want to hear you get frustrated. If you dont like what anybody else said, dont listen. Go make your own scoop. You dont care what kellyco or whatever other kind of scoop anybody else uses, they dont care if you make one yourself. Just stop arguing and go make your frickin scoop.

Attachments

• where-ideas-come-from.jpg
    where-ideas-come-from.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 739
OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Re: Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Idea's-Post About Subject Only

yournewneighbor said:
whats the use of asking a question and then when you get the answer you dont want to hear you get frustrated. If you dont like what anybody else said, dont listen. Go make your own scoop. You dont care what kellyco or whatever other kind of scoop anybody else uses, they dont care if you make one yourself. Just stop arguing and go make your frickin scoop.
CAN'T READ?? WANT TO START TROUBLE? POST ABOUT THE SUBJECT ONLY! YOU'LL BE REPORTED, IF "YOU" KEEP THIS UP.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Idea's-Post About Subject Only!

detectit, He changed his title, the original title ended in " What Do You Think?"

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Re: Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Idea's-Post About Subject Only!

Treasure_Hunter said:
detectit, He changed his title, the original title ended in " What Do You Think?"
MORE TROUBLEMAKING! NO SUBSTANCE! FAULT FINDERS! HAS THIS GUY HAPPENED TO YOU TOO?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Cheap Long-handle Water Scoop Idea-What Do You Think?

erikk said:
The key word in your post is "CHEAP" and that is just what you will have if you go that route. Nothing more fun than being out in the water and having your scoop break :tongue3:

This is a SCOOP

Love that scoop!

Where can I get one?

Badger

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 692

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectit said:
yournewneighbor said:
CAN'T READ?? WANT TO START TROUBLE? POST ABOUT THE SUBJECT ONLY! YOU'LL BE REPORTED, IF "YOU" KEEP THIS UP.

Hey detectit... respectfully (or not so much); chill or shut it.
yournewneighbor is my buddy from college... and I know him well.
Honestly, I agree with him. If you don't want anyone's opinions or suggestions, then don't post to this forum.
If you want to make a scoop, then make one. No one will give two cents if you do your own thing or take others advice.
And don't be so arrogant in threatening to "report" people on a whim. This isn't your website, bub. It's an open, public forum.
If you don't want any responses, you could always open up Notepad on your computer and start typing away.

Bran <><

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

godisnum1 said:
detectit said:
yournewneighbor said:

Honestly, I agree with him. If you don't want anyone's opinions or suggestions, then don't post to this forum.
If you want to make a scoop, then make one. No one will give two cents if you do your own thing or take others advice.
And don't be so arrogant in threatening to "report" people on a whim. This isn't your website, bub. (NOR YOUR'S, BUBBA) It's an open, public forum.
If you don't want any responses, you could always open up Notepad on your computer and start typing away.

Bran <><
SOME HAVE CABIN FEVER!

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

With an attitude like this, its a wonder that anyone would want to help you!

I could offer you some tips. I have 20 years as a machinist, but I repeat, The attitude thing seals my lips.

Carry on and have a wonderful life.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

Montauk3 said:
With an attitude like this, its a wonder that anyone would want to help you!

I could offer you some tips. I have 20 years as a machinist, but I repeat, The attitude thing(OTHER POSTS CAN BE ACCESSED) seals my lips. (IF YOU WITHHOLD KNOWLEDGE FROM THE OTHERS, WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOU??)

Carry on and have a wonderful life.
YOU TOO, SIR.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

13, maybe 14.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was my bet, :icon_scratch: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montauk3 said:
13, maybe 14.

:thumbsup:

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

godisnum1 said:
detectit said:
yournewneighbor said:

And don't be so arrogant in threatening to "report" people on a whim. This isn't your website, bub. It's an open, public forum.

Bran <><

Thanks Brandon. i have a strange feeling this guy has some anger issues. I'm glad to have good friends like you.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yournewneighbor said:
Thanks Brandon. i have a strange feeling this guy has some anger issues. I'm glad to have good friends like you.

Nah... I think Montauk3 "hit the (proverbial) nail on the head" :wink:

Bran <><

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000

Here's my scoop. Cost me about 20 U$ for material from a scrap yard, shaft from hardware store, welding and the drill bits I wasted drilling the holes. It served me well until now, my new detector goes deeper so I want a slightly bigger scoop now with more holes. I'll make the new one myself too. It' fun and easy- just like scuba diving.

Attachments

• P280210_15 a.JPG
    P280210_15 a.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 574
  • P280210_15 a.JPG
    P280210_15 a.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 554

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

LOL!!

I love making tools and different things for my hobbies... Ha, even making things for a hobby is one of my hobbies!
Hell... it's all for the fun of doing it, so go for it! Yes, you can make scoops better for less than what's on the market.
And yes, drilling holes in stainless is almost as fun as drilling 300 to 400 holes in 6-4 titanium, but it can be done using only three drill bits!
If you have an idea for a scoop, I say do it! If something doesn't work the best, try using a different material or design.
The scoop manufacturers don't have a "lock & key" to the best scoops! What is best for one person maybe wrong for another.
The biggest problem with "store bought" is they are made to fit the needs of many with limitations! "Homemade" is often viewed as being cheap, inferior, a "get-by" to a better one that can be purchased... I've blown that theory clean out of the water many times! :laughing7:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You want a scoop that's going to last heres a photo of a home made scoop that will last !!!!
It might give you some idea what to look for The bucket is 1/4 aluminum with stainless steel edge . Good Luck Jim

Attachments

• big scoop !!.jpg
    big scoop !!.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 486

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dingdong said:
DONT listen to those no it alls make your scoop YOUR way it will be fine i have made one out of mild steel and hun t salt water it alittle rustyhad it 4 years now works great other hunters like it some asked to buy one but i made and will keep it its not perfect nither iam I enjoy ur scoop

Ding Dong,

His original title before he changed it was "Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop...What Do You Think" and people gave their opinions based on what he posted, the hot link, and the fact he asked for others opinions......

I have seen many nice home made scoops, but those were made by people who had access to metal working tools. His idea physically would have worked, but not well and not with out purchasing additional items to complete the work. Scoop was $29 plus $13 for shipping, he would need drill bit to drill thick stainless steel another $13 to $17 and a handle another $10-$15, he would have close to $65-70 in it by then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread