Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Ideas-Post About Subject Only!

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Idea's-Post About Subject Only!

I was surfing through scoops, and came across some heavy duty, stainless steel, 3 qt. scoops, that might be possible to drill some holes, and attach a handle. The scoop is only $29. If anyone tries it, let us know. Looks like it would even be great for a hand scoop.
http://www.instawares.com/utility-scoop-3qt.jro-3953.0.7.htm There is also a 4 qt.

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cheap Long-handle Water Scoop Idea-What Do You Think?

Just remember ya get what ya pay for, a SS hand scoop is < 35 bucks anyway and ya won't have to drill holes...

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Not a good idea. Yes the scoop you linked is marked 29.00, but when you check out they tack on 13.00 for shipping so then you're over 40.00. You still need a drill bit to cut the holes, and a 40-48"handle. Maybe another 25-35 bucks?
The location and the way the handle is attached to the scoop is the most important area, it takes all the stress and torque, you're going to have to get someone to weld something here. If you're bolting it on somehow you need to add the cost of the bolts, nuts and washers which have to be quality so they don't rust away. You need to calculate all the angles properly. You also only have one shot at getting it right otherwise you have to spend more money on material.
Keep in mind that a long handled scoop is really only needed for in-the-water hunting only. You can hunt the sand with other scoops that are not long handled and don't cost that much. Scoops from 40.00 - 100.00 Check out this video, the scoop he's using is a 40.00 scoop.
http://whiteselectronics.com/videos/surfmaster300-instructional.html

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2

Its not worth it,Buy a decent long handle scoop that will get the job done. Kellyco has nice scoops and i have a medium long handle 6061 scoop that works great,And i also have the scoop just under it and the larger "beach brute" that im trying to sell. You get what you pay for in life and if your going to so to the beach have the proper equipment that will make beach detecting easy and allow you to have fun, All my scoops are aluminum and the less weight enables you to detect longer, And after 2 and half years years the 6061 scoop still looks great .

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

I disagree, it would be well worth every dime, & time spent, if that SS scoop is strong enough (it says heavy duty, should be). If someone has more time than money, if you find the largest SS scoop online, it will cost you plenty. Someone in the other forum said the bigger the better. That company may also have a heavy aluminium one. It might be a little cheaper. But forget the metal handle, do a hoe (wooden) handle. Some of the most expensive one's use wood anyway. Maybe knock out a hole the metal, on topside, for a handle to go through, to the inside, and use two U clamps, to hold it to the back. If the handle is attached securely, that puppy should do the work for a long time. The holes would the most time involved. The handle on it, might be cut off, or weld a little foot plate to push on. I'd much rather try using this 3 qt ss scoop, vs a lighter stainless hand scoop, for about the same amount of money. The curve of that scoop will be super strong. Things to think on, for the do-it-yourselfer, that has $60 bucks, versus $149-$189, plus that $18 shipping.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

The key word in your post is "CHEAP" and that is just what you will have if you go that route. Nothing more fun than being out in the water and having your scoop break :tongue3:

This is a SCOOP

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,663
OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

If that 3 qt SS curved scoop is strong, it is THE perfect candidate for a do-it-yourselfer job. Cheap/inexpensive, doesn't always mean inferior. When you buy a metal detector, cheap matters, for sure. A scoop is not electronics, it's a scoop, for Pete's sake. There are people that HAVE built long lasting, if not, permenant lasting, do-it-yourself scoops, for little money. Some, now-a-days, don't have several hundred dollar's, for such a simple task. If it works, and works well for a long time, what's wrong with inexpensive, or CHEAP? Anyone tried doing this, with this particular scoop? Might not want to knock it yet. If that thing is strong enough (which seems to be the underlaying question), don't be surprised if you start seeing 'em converted to water scoops. The basket, or scoop, IS the main component of a the water scoop. The handle isn't rocket science, and actually the basket is either. Just needs to be strong. That one, being heavy duty, looks like a good strudy one, to try such a project on. I believe to would be hard to find one costing less. There are so many styles of water scoops. This could be a new style, that continues to pick up a loads of wet sand, for long, long time. CHEAPLY!

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound

Before you buy the scoop. Drill a couple of holes slightly smaller than a dime in a piece of scrap Stainless Steel from a salvage yard. You will find out real quick that stainless steel is HARD to drill. Not only will you wear out several high cost bits trying to put holes where you want them, (have you ever counted how many holes there are in a scoop) but you will also wear out your arm and spend a lot of time. Spend that time on the dry or wet sand and find a ring. Then go buy a scoop for water hunting. A shovel works just find in the dry and wet sand on the beach. Happy Hunting to ya.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

petersra said:
Before you buy the scoop. Drill a couple of holes slightly smaller than a dime in a piece of scrap Stainless Steel from a salvage yard. You will find out real quick that stainless steel is HARD to drill. Not only will you wear out several high cost bits trying to put holes where you want them, (have you ever counted how many holes there are in a scoop) but you will also wear out your arm and spend a lot of time. Spend that time on the dry or wet sand and find a ring. Then go buy a scoop for water hunting. A shovel works just find in the dry and wet sand on the beach. Happy Hunting to ya.
Yeah, see there's the rub, fly in the ointment! The hole drilling! Yes, I've drilled thick 1/4" SS. Wonder...do they make, hole punch 5/8"? We called it a Greenlee. We used 'em in construction to cut out holes in electrical panels. Anyone know, something that would make quick work of 5/8" holes? With the Greenlee, a small hole would have to be drilled. Is there some other type of punch, or hole cutter that would work well on stainless? Hole drilling NO! 16 gauge perforated SS sheet, YES! Anyone can buy it, and bend it. Thanks Peter, for your input, your inputting on the subject! Seems the less post's, the nicer, and more helpful the person.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

detectit said:
There are people that HAVE built long lasting, if not, permenant lasting, do-it-yourself scoops, for little money.

Show me pics and links to all these home made scoops. If they're that good why not just copy what they did?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

detectit said:
If that 3 qt SS curved scoop is strong, it is THE perfect candidate for a do-it-yourselfer job. Cheap/inexpensive, doesn't always mean inferior. When you buy a metal detector, cheap matters, for sure. A scoop is not electronics, it's a scoop, for Pete's sake. There are people that HAVE built long lasting, if not, permenant lasting, do-it-yourself scoops, for little money. Some, now-a-days, don't have several hundred dollar's, for such a simple task. If it works, and works well for a long time, what's wrong with inexpensive, or CHEAP? Anyone tried doing this, with this particular scoop? Might not want to knock it yet. If that thing is strong enough (which seems to be the underlaying question), don't be surprised if you start seeing 'em converted to water scoops. The basket, or scoop, IS the main component of a the water scoop. The handle isn't rocket science, and actually the basket is either. Just needs to be strong. That one, being heavy duty, looks like a good strudy one, to try such a project on. I believe to would be hard to find one costing less. There are so many styles of water scoops. This could be a new style, that continues to pick up a loads of wet sand, for long, long time. CHEAPLY!

If U have actually hunted in the surf U would know why that scoop just won't cut it no matter how sturdy. it might "pick up loads of wet sand " but I am hunting to recover targets

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectit said:
I disagree, it would be well worth every dime, & time spent, if that SS scoop is strong enough (it says heavy duty, should be). If someone has more time than money, if you find the largest SS scoop online, it will cost you plenty. Someone in the other forum said the bigger the better. That company may also have a heavy aluminium one. It might be a little cheaper. But forget the metal handle, do a hoe (wooden) handle. Some of the most expensive one's use wood anyway. Maybe knock out a hole the metal, on topside, for a handle to go through, to the inside, and use two U clamps, to hold it to the back. If the handle is attached securely, that puppy should do the work for a long time. The holes would the most time involved. The handle on it, might be cut off, or weld a little foot plate to push on. I'd much rather try using this 3 qt ss scoop, vs a lighter stainless hand scoop, for about the same amount of money. The curve of that scoop will be super strong. Things to think on, for the do-it-yourselfer, that has $60 bucks, versus $149-$189, plus that $18 shipping.

If your not going to hunt in the water, and only hunt the sand, you can buy a sand scoop that will work fine.....If your going to hunt in the water where the good stuff is, then it isn't going to be worth the time and effort..... When your waist to chest deep trying to recover a diamond ring you need a good scoop......

You talk about a scoop that is $149-$189, I paid $200 with tax for mine and it is worth every penny for it. I bought a used beach brute for $100 used it for almost 2 years and sold it for $90..Used the $90 towards my new Beach Brute II......I could probaly sell it and get $140 for it if I wanted to......

Have you hunted any in the surf? Believe me, speaking from experience, you get what you pay for....Name of the game is to recover the target as quick as possible and move on to the next target.....

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

erikk said:
detectit said:

If U have actually hunted in the surf U would know why that scoop just won't cut it no matter how sturdy. it might "pick up loads of wet sand " but I am hunting to recover targets
GOOD FOR U!

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

The hole drilling would be the killer. Although if you have the time, drill, and save tons. If a DIY person has the time, on a rainy day, when you can't hunt, or you're snowed in, something else to consider, is perforated metal sheeting (holes already there, most work done). http://www.smallparts.com/ Type in: perforated metal sheet. They have inexpensive 12 X 24 sheets ($22.00), with 1/2" holes, and smaller. Good, strong 16 gauge, or 14 gauge, that could be bent. Welding would not be needed. I know a sheet metal guy that will form one for $25. A few U clamps, a wooden handle, and off to the beach with you, for decades of service. ***This is a discussion, not an influencing, underminding ploy to sell marketed, manufactured products, that make someone else money. Those that want to push their wares, start a commerical on another thread. This site is supported by commerical products, and marketing, but we will have freedom of speech in this forum to discuss ideas, right? Bartering, and homemade devices may be come a way of life for some, if not for everyone. Give 'em a break! ***Because I'm a JUNIOR doesn't mean the all knowing HERO (Erikk) is going to run up and down my back, and abuse me. This person KNOWS NOTHING about me, what-so-ever. Any ideas are wrong, right?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectit said:
The hole drilling would be the killer. Although if you have the time, drill, and save tons. If a DIY person has the time, on a rainy day, when you can't hunt, or you're snowed in, something else to consider, is perforated metal (holes already there). http://www.smallparts.com/ Type in: perforated metal sheet. They have CHEAP 12 X 24 sheets ($22.00), with 1/2" holes, and smaller. Good, strong 16 gauge, or 14 gauge, and could be bent. Welding would not be needed. I know a sheet metal guy that will form one for $25. A few U clamps, a wooden handle, and off to the beach with you, for decades of service. This is a discussion, not an influencing, underminding ploy to sell marketed, manufactured products, that make someone else money. Those that want to push their wares, start a commerical on another thread. This site is funded by commerical products, but we will have freedom of speech in this forum to discuss, right? ***Because I'm a JUNIOR doesn't mean the all knowing HERO (Erikk) is going to run up and down my back, and abuse me. This guy KNOWS NOTHING about me.

detectit,

Errick is a respected member here, he is not abusing you, he may know nothing about you, but he knows about water hunting and scoops as do the others who replied. What Errick told you is the truth. Will your scoop get by some what as a cheap scoop, yes, will it function perform, and last in the surf like a professional scoop will NO...

All Errick did was give you advice same as I and others did, we did not tell you not to do it your way. I have seen lots of homemade scoops, the only ones I have seen that works as well as the commercial ones are the scoops members made and welded out of stainless steal...No one is trying to rain on your parade, we are just giving you advice based on our experience.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
Re: Inexpensive Long-handle, Homemade Water Scoop Idea-What Do You Think?

Tks TH but no problem I must have been mistaken replying to the post that ASKED IF IT WAS A GOOD IDEA but then again that is only my opinion which is probably flawed as I have only been doing this for about 45 years (48 to be exact) and am still a newby :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

erikk said:
Tks TH but no problem I must have been mistaken replying to the post that ASKED IF IT WAS A GOOD IDEA but then again that is only my opinion which is probably flawed as I have only been doing this for about 45 years (48 to be exact) and am still a newby :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
GOOD FOR U AGAIN! NOW, HERE COMES MORE UNDERMINDING FROM YOU. A will of odds, huh? You think me to be your whipping boy, putting me in my place? Go, back and look at thay silly statement you made. You, in 48 years, of your all knowing wisdom, and using your psychic brain, have determined that I, being 55.5, know NOTHING about beach hunting, dredging, cache hunting, or actually...anything. The discussion is about building a inexpensive/cheap, low cost scoop. If others want to show their high dollar piece (I have one also), then so be it, no problem. But when a guy that knows nothing about me, starts making statements about knowing what I do, what I've done, what I KNOW, YET KNOWS NOTHING about me, or my life, or actions...I have to insist on drawing a line in the beach sand. Do you always try to anger others with absurd posts, in this, or any other forum? Do you find it entertaining to others, yourself, or just want to be noticed by starting a wrestling match of will, in this forum? I feel this isn't the first rodeo for you. Are ya territorial Erikk? So stay tuned for more from Erikk. Right Erikk? This is what some do, move away from the true post, attack the Poster. What did I ever do to you Erikk? Why attack me? Remember, U started it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectit,

Why are you going off? :dontknow: Errikk did not attack you. What is it you object to, he mearly stated "If U have actually hunted in the surf U would know why that scoop just won't cut it no matter how sturdy. it might "pick up loads of wet sand " but I am hunting to recover targets...........

We all basically said the same thing, it is not a scoop we would want to use based on our experience water hunting, not a good scoop for water hunting. We were just sharing our knowledge and experience with you and the readers................

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used

I SURRENDER U R RIGHT That will make the best water scoop in the world THE END C-YA HH :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

erikk said:
I SURRENDER U R RIGHT That will make the best water scoop in the world THE END C-YA HH :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
As others can imagine, I'm not going to responding any longer to your insults, and disrespect. Obviously, nothing better to do with your time than to slam others for their different ideas. Right or wrong. You use little snide remarks, sarcastic comments, to be big and strong. To belittle others ideas. It's not a problem to me, you knowing ALL about my beach hunting experiences, but it's very interesting, the thought of a person that knows, nothing about another, yet knows everything they do. Someone that knows everything, about anything. A know it all, huh? There are a lot in the world, and few around here, I've found out. ANYONE THAT KNOWS EVERYTHING, AND REFUSES TO LEARN NEW THINGS, CAN'T BE TAUGHT ANY LONGER.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread