Cobra or Viper??????

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I would voice my opinion but I will let the expert advise U, maybe even make U a scoop 2 go with it :icon_thumright:

seriously, save your money

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cobra or Viper??????????? You gotta be kidding. This is Chinese stuff and you know what they ship here.

Your much better off buying a detector from a Major brand like Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro or White's. You might pay a couple dollars more, but the quality and depth are there not counting the Warranty.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree you need to put you money towards something else. For a couple hundred more you can get a better machine.. I have two white and I had a viper I sold the viper and I looking for Tesoro now....Matt

T

TreasurdiggrNY

When I was looking around for my first machine magnifier.gif I too wanted a good all around unit. I got the Fisher 1280X with the 8 inch coil. It's a beast, very underrated I think. It is built to last, very deep, easy to use, waterproof to 200ft., turn-on-and go, batteries last 4-ever and you can chest mount it and swing all day long. I'm just saying :thumbsup: sign_goodluck.gif

Attachments

• magnifier.gif
    magnifier.gif
    599 bytes · Views: 466
  • sign_goodluck.gif
    sign_goodluck.gif
    921 bytes · Views: 466

Baja Vinnie

Jan 14, 2010
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 Fisher F5
Sandman said:
Cobra or Viper??????????? You gotta be kidding. This is Chinese stuff and you know what they ship here.

Your much better off buying a detector from a Major brand like Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro or White's. You might pay a couple dollars more, but the quality and depth are there not counting the Warranty.

Well said :thumbsup:

BV

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Sandman says, get a Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro or White's, don't waste your money on Cobra or Viper, besides being junk, they have no resale value.... Personally I wouldn't give $20 for one at a garage sale....................Cobra or Viper are like the plastic shovels you can buy for kids, you can dig a hole with one, but do you really want to build a fence with one....

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
If your looking to spend little money, get the Tesoro Silver Umax, you cannot go wrong.

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
I chose a Cobra Beach Magnet as my $1 additional machine when I bought my DFX a couple of years ago from KellyCo. Well, it works okay but like the other guys suggested, spend a bit more $$ and buy quality.

~Mike

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have also had the pleasure to hold the Beach Magnet in the same way through a deal with Kellyco.
I have this opinion of the unit. The operation portion is that of the same 1280x made by Fisher,
( I believe it is made by Fisher in Malaysia where Fisher has move all there operations now)I came to this because I have used a 1280x for 18 years.The sound, tuning,rejection, battery seals and looks is all but the same. That's where it stops the building of the machine is very poor my first one ship fell apart out of the box. The components internally have to be cheaper as well. The second one came together out of the box. The handle rod portion of the detector would have lasted me a week if I used it. I switch entire assembly for a use S shaft and sold it to another guy. He likes the units as I built it. He has found many good finds over the last year.
I believe the cost is around 449.99 that's way too much to spend on this machine. You could do way better buying a good used name brand detector for less money.
steve

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither, neither and neither.

I haven't read the other replies because my time is short today but I can tell you what I know is being said.

Cheap Chinese junk. I am surprised that some reliable dealers are even offering them. I am really disappointed in one wholesale distributor.

That all being said. Get busy doing your research on good used units from name brands like Garrett, Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro and Whites. You can pick up a solid used detector from a name brand company at the same price that will give you reliable years of service and much more productivity.

Look on Craigslist and EBAY and you will surely find something of value at a reasonable price. I would bet you will eventually find a good used name brand detector for near 400 dollars. That can't be much more than what you are looking at that and those Chinese machines will maybe last you a few uses if you are lucky. If you already have either the VIPER or COBRA, I would be very cautious in getting them wet. The seals are not good. And even if you manage to keep them dry, the performance is lacking.

Cobra was at one time a very good land detector. Back in the day, the late 1980s and early 1990s, I even explored being a distributor for them. They had a good product and you can find one of those every now and then on EBAY that is used and in good condition. They were a U.S. company. I don't know the story of what happened but they sold out and the products became mass produced in China.

Look at what the successful hunters on this forum are using. You won't see a Viper or Cobra in the bunch.

Take Care and good luck. Be patient and you will find a good detector at a reasonable price. I got my Garrett Infinium with lots of extras for 700 bucks. At the time the detector and the extras would have cost me 1400 plus new. The deals are out there. Spend some time searching, bid what you can afford and if you don't get that one do the same thing over and over and you will eventually win a great detector at a very reasonable price.

I pulled my Minelab Soverign Elite off Craigslist a couple of years ago for around 300 bucks. It is a perfect beach and wet sand machine. I just pulled a mint condition White's relic machine off Craigslist for 350 bucks. The "Lawyer" who initially bought it was a Civil War buff who thought you could stroll into the woods and pick up artifacts like Christmas morning under the tree. He quickly found that there was research and hard work involved and that you may find something every third trip out if you are lucky. He dumped it on Craigslist and I happen to be looking when it was listed. He had used it twice. It has no marks or scratches on it. I could sell it today on EBAY easily for 450 to 550. It is not the latest but it is billed by most websites to still be one of the most sought after used White's machines and also billed as one of the best that Whites has ever produced.

Keep lookin!

DaChief

OP
OP
Gator-Flea

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for your input, I'm not in any Rush to buy and don't mine to spend up to a $1000.00 for a good detector. I have used a Bounty Hunter 505 for the last 5 years. Now I'm retired and may have more time I would like a better machine.

Thanks Gator-Flea

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bounty Hunter 505 huh? You'd do very well to get a Ace 250 for about $212.00 new. There are many others from Tesoro, White's, Garrett and Minelab that are better than your 505. But so long as you are having fun, go at it. :coffee2:

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator...I had one of those Cobra beach magnets when I was like 15, im 20 now. I dont know why i bought it, it wasnt worth it. Just saying from experience, the thing wasnt horrible, but theres a lot of better options out there in reasonable price ranges.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Bought one , Sold it the minute I put it together . I was real lucky ,,I sold it on ebay for what I paid for it,, Stick with the name Brands Minelab, whites , Garret , tesoro,,,Fisher so on..... Good luck my friend ...Guzz1

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! fisher is now located in Malaysia??? really!!!! call fisher and ask them if there operations are now located in Malaysia!!! ask this same question anywhere else!!!!!!!!!
ok.....maybe you know something new that i dont? could you please provide proof that fishers operations are now based in Malaysia?? i have read that minelab is now having there detectors made in malaysia(i read it on some of the minelab forums) is that what you were thinking about when you said fisher??

now..... i wrote alot more but i deleated it!! could we please refrain from making someone feel like crap because of the detector they use?? he uses a bountyhunter505, he has for 5 years and could probably hunt just as well as some of you if not better!!

the chinese hybrids may be poor detectors but bountyhunters are not!!

i would advise you to buy a fisher cz21, minelab excal , either new or used if you want a waterproof detector for saltwater use.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41,

Why are you going off, nothing bad was said about the Bounty Hunter, he was advised he could upgrade to an Ace 250 or one of the Tesoro, White's, Garrett or Minelabs....

Gator-Flea said:
Thanks to everyone for your input, I'm not in any Rush to buy and don't mine to spend up to a $1000.00 for a good detector. I have used a Bounty Hunter 505 for the last 5 years. Now I'm retired and may have more time I would like a better machine.

Thanks Gator-Flea

He said he is ready to upgrade to a better machine.....

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't know.....i guess I'm getting tired of fisher badmouthing especially when its completely false! and Ive always hated the bountyhunter bashing!!!
I'm also sick and tired of all the snow and cold temps!!!! i usually just bite my tongue and blow off the posts that i replied to last night but..........
goin out now to shovel snow again!!!!!!! shoulda bit my tongue last night i guess.

OP
OP
Gator-Flea

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
i don't know.....i guess I'm getting tired of fisher badmouthing especially when its completely false! and Ive always hated the bountyhunter bashing!!!
I'm also sick and tired of all the snow and cold temps!!!! i usually just bite my tongue and blow off the posts that i replied to last night but..........
goin out now to shovel snow again!!!!!!! shoulda bit my tongue last night i guess.
You are wright on the money, I've enjoyed my 505 for five years and will more than likely enjoy it another five. But I make a couple of trips a year to Florida to hit the beaches and was interested in a hybrid that I could use in or out of the water.

Thanks Gator-Flea

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread