FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bought a TH'ing boat

Been checking Craigslist for a boat, motor and trailer for $350. And finally found one, its an old beater, 14 foot 1955 Aluminum with V-hull, with a steel trailer and a air cooled 4 stroke, 5 HP outboard and 30# thrust Trolling motor. :hello2: I have some secluded beaches that can only be reached by boat as the land is privately owned but in Florida, anything below the high water mark is consider State owned.
Outboard needs some TLC, boat is water tight even though its nearly as old as myself. It pulls a lot easier than my 18 foot Lund so I'll have good gas mileage when pulling it to a destination. ;D
I have a few months before the weather improves as its still quite chilly. There is a lot of competition on the beaches so I'll be hunting areas no one has hunted in years. Results will be posted except for exact locations. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• MVC-701F.JPG
    MVC-701F.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 558
Upvote 0

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bought a TH'ing boat

Excellent! I've been looking for one to run up and down the rivers here.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:

Just check the law as there is also a portion in the Most of the states laws that says. You can not be within 15ft of a structure (dock)or moored vessel. This isn't just for detecting but fishing swimming ect.. steve

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia

Dude if you want to justify buying a boat to yourself go ahead. You do not have to convince me. I had a little aluminum boat like that when I was a kid. My friends and I would ride out and fish all night. We measured cruising range by "we will use a half tank going then we will have plenty of fuel to get back" Damn, :headbang: now I have to buy another boat!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Using a boat to get to sand bars where the party crowd visits an ties their boat an rafts together is a excellent way to score extra big. But remember these party slugs never take their trash back with them and it goes overboard for you to find.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:

Don't I know it Sandman. That's all part of it, you're digging pull tabs, bottle caps and aluminum foil but when a nice gold ring with a diamond pops up in my sifting box then it's all worth it. Just have to invest a little to get out and hunt those areas that hasn't seen a detector in a while.
Buried Crap NJ: That may be how the law is written in NJ but if its a navigatiable waterway in Florida, the property owners land ends at the waters edge. Submerged bottom land belongs to the State and I'm just doing the work of the Tree Hugger and removing trash from the lake bottom though some of that trash is silver and gold, :laughing7:. Though I've run into some angry residents in the past so I hop in me boat and head down a ways :headbang:. Florida has a lot of lakes with hidden swimming holes but just about every state does to and by using a kayak, canoe or small boat, a detector might discover a trove of coins and jewelry mixed in with the junk. It's never easy. :coffee2: :thumbsup:

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:

FLauthor said:
Don't I know it Sandman. That's all part of it, you're digging pull tabs, bottle caps and aluminum foil but when a nice gold ring with a diamond pops up in my sifting box then it's all worth it. Just have to invest a little to get out and hunt those areas that hasn't seen a detector in a while.
Buried Crap NJ: That may be how the law is written in NJ but if its a navigatiable waterway in Florida, the property owners land ends at the waters edge. Submerged bottom land belongs to the State and I'm just doing the work of the Tree Hugger and removing trash from the lake bottom though some of that trash is silver and gold, :laughing7:. Though I've run into some angry residents in the past so I hop in me boat and head down a ways :headbang:. Florida has a lot of lakes with hidden swimming holes but just about every state does to and by using a kayak, canoe or small boat, a detector might discover a trove of coins and jewelry mixed in with the junk. It's never easy. :coffee2: :thumbsup:

Ya all that sounds the same as NJ high water mark and owned by the state. Just check with the state about the docks and moored boats, because they are not regulated by the same state laws. Maritime laws differ from state to state but going near a moored boat is just the same everywhere.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now just watch out for the alleegators.......

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero

Me too...I wanted a boat last year for the same reasons so I picked 1 up on craigslist for $225,no motor tho but I have 2 in the garage anyways...good to go when it hits 50 degrees Im on/in it! :icon_thumleft:

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Nice boat :thumbsup: looks like that will be easy to work with, can't wait to see the finds. What are you going to name it? good luck :icon_thumright:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bought a boat last year for the same reason. My daughter and boy friend took it out and froze the motor up. I haven't had the time to tear it apart yet to find out what is wrong with it. So no boat detecting until I get the motor fix or another motor.

71 duster

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2010
Webster,Fl

Does that go for state parks also? I did not know if that would work for fresh water.Salt water parks I've never had a problem.

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:

I use my 14 foot jon boat that I bought new in 1978 for fishing. Finally bought a trailer 5 years ago as lifting it was getting harder and harder with age. Is great for going to private campgrounds from public access launches. Found my first diamond ring that way. GL and HH.

Ed

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now ya got me thinking as I have a boat.. the baywitch.. hummm

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good deal, let me know if ya need some help hunting these areas...

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm jealous...I've been doing some research on some pirate battles in the Chesapeake as well as some possible pirate hideaway islands.

I'm sure nothing will come of it

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro

I have the same idea. Get a nice, small boat, and hunt areas that are less often hunted. Follow the drunk party crowd!!, etc.. I just need to scrape together enough funds to get one. It's going to be the next thing on my list. My next "big" purchase. I already have a name picked out for it. :)

Good luck & happy hunting,

skt

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505

This sounds like a good way to get shot at. (Please excuse the ending preposition.)

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hey Flauthor. I remember our trip we made last summer on Harris Lake. I got a new boat too. 22' Penn Yan. Its made to go in shallow water. I'm just waiting for the water to warm up!

Attachments

• DCP01272.JPG
    DCP01272.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 271
  • DCP01273.JPG
    DCP01273.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 272
  • DCP01254.JPG
    DCP01254.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 276

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread