Florida hurricane

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anybody here getting ready to hit the treasure beaches?? I was going to take a ride down for this one, but it is just too expensive to go in case it ends up in the wrong area. My sister lives in Port St. Lucie, so I have a place to stay. I will probably kick my butt if it goes in her area. I guess I just got to move down there. Please keep us posted as to finds if anyone here is detecting down there. And good luck.

Upvote 0
S

srdraftcad

Hi Johnin

I'm in West Palm Beach in may be I' ll drive north to Wabasso beach for 1715 fleet's detecting but I hope to get parking over there because I won't be the only one detecting there. :-\

This Hurricane "Frances" is coming with winds of 145 MPH, enough power to shake and wash all coin up from the shore, so it is a good chances to find something. Don't miss this chances! :o

srdraftcad

M

mbrolin

when would be the best time to hit the beaches when a huricane like this goes through? Right after it passes or what?

Thanks

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We go under a mandatory evacuation order for all of the barrier islands later today. If Francis continues on her present course, it?s a good bet that no one will be allowed back onto the islands any time soon. The Army Corps of engineers will have to inspect all of the causeway bridges before they re-open the roads. I for one am heading up to Georgia this afternoon, and will head back on Sunday or Monday. However, if the hurricane does like Floyd did a few years back, and make a sharp turn to the North. I will head VFR direct to the beach with the detector just as fast as I can.
It doesn?t look good, run for your life?

C

Charles,Oak Island

Wreckdiver1715 good luck to you and all the others in Fla.

S

srdraftcad

mbrolin

I'm watching hurricanes since I was born. Just be careful but don't waste the chance to go out to detect on the beach after the storm pass. :( The best time to detect is after the storm landfall over the beach, in this case, Wabasso beach and/or Vero beach :).Remember, winds speed of 145MPH are close to the eye or center of the hurricane.
srdraftcad

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I have friends in stuart and the surrounding areas, If I could I would be on my way down. Turtle Head is a good spot as well. After a good "Cain" like Francis any east coast beach has my vote!!
Be carfull all, good luck! As for me we're heading to the South Carolina coast sat..HH!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,it's been downgraded to a cat. 3 at 115mph..Looks to me like it's gonna hit anywhere between Melbourne and Palm beach county.I'm here in Broward just south of it(hopefully) already getting smaller outer bands.Had a gust of 42mph. about an hour ago, power has blinked off twice already,logging off, still gonna be nasty for the next 2 days.Oh yeah,can't wait to hit the beach after the storm.Wish me luck,gotta go,diggimmup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck in Fla. guys. I wish I was there!! Be sure to report back as soon as possible to let us know your okay. C ya. HH!!!

OP
OP
JohninCT

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
well I see the dunes have been cut back about 10-15 ft. in the Wabasso area, also the lifeguard stand and boardwalk there are gone now. Seems like Frances did some shoreline changing in that area, so likely some finds will be made in the next couple days. If you got a detector, get to it and good luck. Keep us posted.

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
:o :'(LOOK OUT EVERYBODY!!!TROPICAL STORM IVAN IS LURKING AROUND OUT THERE SOMEWHERE;SAID ON THE WEATHER IT COULD BE TO FLORIDA BY SATURDAY!!!! :-[

OP
OP
JohninCT

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Track looks too be too far south.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Well I got back from the Treasure coast on Friday. The dunes have been cut back drastically in the Vero area. I only went as far south as the Rio Mar wreck. I did not find any Reals but saw several people who did. A couple nice eights and some two's. I only got to spend a day and half down there. Things are still pretty bad, no lights, all the hotels were booked and I had to sleep in my truck.

I did find a few recent pieces, a mans ring that has a slit in the bottom half, with no markings, and some clad. I was very dissapointed there weren't more finds. The beaches were trashed, nails, rebar, and bolts everywhere. Lots of dead seagull and roots covering the beach.

I worked Rio Mar, Corrigans, Anchor, and Cabin wrecks and also spent some time at Chucks Steak House area. Nothing! I think the storm took too much sand from the dunes and didn't really take much from the beach. Or maybe it took it from the beach and took all the coins and such out towards the reefs.

Well, I wont give up. Like I said, I did see SOME good finds. Enough to keep me coming back.

Robert in SC

OP
OP
JohninCT

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I wondered about that, the possibility of the sand washing away the dunes and maybe just depositing it on the beach instead. Still, I thought that maybe in some cuts there might have been some good finds. I always remember the storys of some items being found in the dunes in the 60's. Also I thought, maybe with the dunes sand being spread out, that it might have washed some good stuff out. Well hope your trip was fun anyway, and at least you found some gold. Sorry you didn't find any treasure coins, but glad you found some gold anyway. Thanks much Robert, and better luck to you next time.

OP
OP
JohninCT

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Robert, about how many people were on the beaches detecting? Thanks, John

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
John,
I went on Thursday and Friday and there were probably 10-12 people the first day and 8-10 the second. I am sure it was very crowded tuesday and wednsday. I think the beaches just got picked over.

Robert in SC

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that was lots of fun! I have a whole new appreciation of what the Spanish survivors of the 1715 fleet must have gone through. We just got power back on Sunday afternoon after seven days of no power, and it?s good to have AC back on in the house. I was getting tired of camping out in the back yard. Only received minor damage to the roof of the house, and lost some fence. The boat survived with only some minor damage. Could have been a lot worse, one boat at our marina went to the bottom, and five others got jammed under the dock. I think that just about all the boats suffered some damage.
I want to send thanks to all the folks from Baltimore Gas and Electric who came down to Florida to help restore our power.

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
See what happens when you get TV again?????? I had the eye of Francis come over the house on the other coast (Hernando County) -- still dealing with it.

Good luck -- we really can't take to many more of thesse things.

CDT15.jpg

(story on above in Sept. "Treasure News")
Matt Mattson
http://www.treasuresites.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread