Finally, I have a new Excalibur 2!

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
After being on this forum for some time and watching everyone else find stuff, I finally had the chance to make
my purchase. I knew better than to settle for something cheap, so I never bothered with any chinese knockoffs.
I try to get the best I can and not settle for something less that's just going to cause me grief, so it's worth it to
pay a few dollars more for one of the best,if not the best.
I also did not want to take a chance with used because I wouldn't be able to afford to lose money then turn around and
buy new anyway. I live less than an hour from the beach, so can't wait to go.

It's bigger than I thought on the controls, but it's not a problem. I did have a hard time trying to wind the wire around
the shaft. That wire is pretty springy...I will be making a straight shaft for it anyway.Will put the controls behind my elbow
to balance it better. I have seen some that run the wire straight down the shaft but coil it at the top?

I now need a good scoop and somebody to give me some good settings to run this thing in.
Thanks fescue69 for suggestion on where to buy it from.

Hopefully whenever I get out, I find something decent.Already told the wife if I ever find a ring, she can have the first. :D

Upvote 0

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool.Good luck with your new Excal.I told mine the same thing :laughing7:

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I'm planning on buying one myself, just trying to find a good deal. I live in Angleton, just south from you, hoping to hit the beach at Surfside, Quintana and Stewart in Galveston, maybe we'll run into each other. John

OP
OP
syko

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
TexasDigger1 said:
I'm planning on buying one myself, just trying to find a good deal. I live in Angleton, just south from you, hoping to hit the beach at Surfside, Quintana and Stewart in Galveston, maybe we'll run into each other. John
yeah, that would be cool...I need a scoop and would be great if it wasn't so cold....

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I love my excal. In the first year it paid for itself 20x's over!! lol

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will now see what all the excitement is about using the Excal. Just do a search on the Excal here on the forum to learn more.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congratulations and sign_goodluck.gif with the new machine. Can't wait to see your finds. If you go with one of the top name scoops like you did with the machine you'll be fine. Pick a scoop that will match the conditions you hunt. I use the Nutall scoop. Stainless steel bucket with the fiberglass handle. For me, the extra weight works great in the Northeast surf that I hunt. An lighter aluminum one I tried was all over the place in the waves and current. The Nutall also cuts thru the shell and hard pack that I encounter. I can't however use this scoop where you encounter golf ball to baseball sized rocks like in a lake or river, very frustrating. The Nutall design causes it to twist a lot when you dig in this type area.
GL & HH,
TDNY

Attachments

• sign_goodluck.gif
    sign_goodluck.gif
    921 bytes · Views: 217

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Congrats on the excal, it's a great detector. As far as a scoop, I won't say any one scoop, but I will say that I like the solid long handle scoops. I do not like the break down handles, they just don't have a good feel to me and I question longevity. The break downs are good if you are traveling by plane or something like that.

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Well done young grasshopper - LOL! I also recently got my new Excal 1000 (end of range, but new nonetheless...) and loving it. :headbang:

I was over eager and hit the beach a few times without a proper scoop - man was that frustrating... So 4 hours in a buddy's workshop with some stainless and I created a kick-ass stainless scoop. It's octagonal shape with 10mm diameter holes punched fairly close together in the base, sides and back. It has a thin-walled stainless shaft about a meter long. It works wonderfully but next time I will opt for installing a non-conductive shaft, like glass-fibre / carbon. This is because I often walk balancing the scoop in my hand (leaving the handle side forward, angled down to counter-balance the weight of the scoop part) and figured out it gave me false readings every time my coil swept under it!! Rookie mistake I know, but if you can avoid it by choosing a better scoop, go for it...

HH, OD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions