Short or long scoop? ...or both!?

TreasureGuy25

Dec 1, 2009
North Suburbs, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Ace 250, ProPointer
Looking to do some detecting around the shores of Lake Michigan and some various lakes I am close to. Willing to get in the water but I feel a lot of my detecting will take place on the beach. I was just about to buy a both short and long (32") scoop when i realized I should ask the experts!

Should I get both a long and short scoop? Does a long scoop work just fine on the beach? Is there a scoop out there that breaks down to be both?

Thanks!

Ted

Upvote 0

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI
That's really just a matter of preference. I use a long handle scoop with a brace on the back so I can use my foot to push it into the sand. I like the long handle because I don't have to bend over every time I find a target. Others use a short handle, or just a hand scoop, because they don't want to carry the weight of a larger scoop. So you have to decice for yourself if you want to bend over every time, or bring the target to you. will you be working in dry sand, wet sand, or both. Do you want stainless, aluminum or steel.

Here are the scoops that I use,

The steel is for the dry sand, I like this one because it has the screen on the back, instead of holes drilled in the body. The sand sifts out MUCH faster.

The other I use in the water/surf, it is much sturdier, and much heavier, but it is much easier to push into wet sand and seashells,

so It is really up to you.

HH
Digger

Attachments

• dry scoop small.JPG
    dry scoop small.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 305
  • wet scoop 003 small.JPG
    wet scoop 003 small.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 308
  • dry scoop small.JPG
    dry scoop small.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 283
  • wet scoop 003 small.JPG
    wet scoop 003 small.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 291

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big for sure, hard to use the smaller in the water... I also use it on land too.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start out with a long handle scoop.You can always cut it down to fit you. :coffee2:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most two piece scoops for dry sand get stuck together and become a one piece scoop anyway. With the longer handle you don't have to bend over. I like the screen sifter for dry sand and the larger stainless steel type for the wet. You need lots of holes for fast draining even out in the water. Some guys still dump the sand in a floating screen sifter, but this is just another thing to carry to the water and then the waves jerk it around.

Attachments

• RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 239
  • RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 243

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I use the long handle scoop all the time, in water and out. Depends how much you dig, your back will thank you. Also, you can push down with your foot to get a good dig. I use a small hand scoop for area parks or tot lots with sand.

OP
OP
TreasureGuy25

TreasureGuy25

Dec 1, 2009
North Suburbs, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Ace 250, ProPointer
Thanks a lot guys, think I'm leaning toward the long scoop then, just because I could use it both on land and water at first, and then If i need the extra power behind a dig in wet sand maybe I'll get a short one later.

That's why I love this forum! Thanks!

HH,

Ted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread