Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Feb 2010
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Scuba Diving in Shallow Water

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. I'm thinking that scuba diving in shallow water might be easier than trying to stand up, bend down, and dig in water that is pushing you to and fro. I'm sure there is a trade off, but to me it sure seems that scuba diving offers more protection from the sun, less strain on the body, easier digging?, quieter hunting, etc. But I do not know. Any feedback would be appreciated?
    Thanks

us
    Dec 2009
    New Jersey
    CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
    214 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Scuba Diving in Shallow Water

Scuba diving is so limited (Air) and should be saved for over your head type hunting. When I go out shallow water hunting its for 6 hrs at a time. This alone would require 6 tanks of air. Working underwater uses much more effort that standing and there by more air. Now if your deep diving and have lots of water over your head this isn't as true. But shallow water it isn't going to be easy. Now if you go with a hookah that has unlimited air so to speak. This would be a way to go.steve

JP
    us
    May 2006
    Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
    Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

I did a 40 foot dive today for 50 minutes and used almost 2000 psi (there was 1100 left out of 3000). I would imagine at a depth of 4 to 5 feet it would take you 2 hours or more to bleed a tank down to 500 psi. Of course that would be if you're not swimming a lot or other conditions that would cause you to use more air then normal. Also, your jaw will have fatigue after a couple hours under.

So with 2 tanks you would probably get four or more hours underwater with a 4 to 5 foot dive.

At a depth of 26 feet I was under for one hour twenty minutes with the Excalibur last year. After the second dive I was exhausted. So again at a shallow depth I imagine by the end of the first tank you will be probably ready to go. Two or more hours under water is exhausting......
    Adventurer, warrior, mercenary, treasure hunter...

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1958 times

Forget the shallow water scuba as it will be unproductive use of your time and money for gear. As was said you won't be able to stay down very long. Hookah would be better for the air use, but still be very hard on you. Better to wade in shallow water and if the waves bother you to much you are in the wrong depth or surf. There are long handled scoops that us waders use as we do not bend down. Diving is expensive.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Nov 2009
    Evans Colorado
    AT Pro
    97 times

I would think that being closer to shore the tide would work against you and cause you to work more to keep in place hence using more air but I am not a scuba diver so not sure on that.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8744 times

Give more thought to snorkling then scuba.....Lot of hunters down here snorkle and fan the targets......

Using a good long handle scoop, you don't really do as much bending down, as you do standing and scooping up...

I use long sleeve rash guard shirts, sun screen, and hat with neck guard do to protect me from the sun, as well as using wetsuits to also protect me from the sun, jellyfish, and keep me warm if I am not hunting down in South Florida.

After a 10-12 hour day of water hunting, it's not my back that hurts as much as it is my legs from all the walking.......I use the harness with bungee, so I don't have that much pain in my arm....

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

Mar 2007
    south central ohio
    White's Spectrum XLT
    11 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I do the best of both... I wade in water then use Hookah to go under and scoop..... I dont use a long handled scoop... just a cat litter one..... this is just in fresh water lakes..... I also use this method in deeper water.... standing upright.. walking in 8' of water..... using Hookah....then kneel down to scoop...... I am sure many will criticize this method, but it certainly works for me.. helping me to grid areas way better

Sponsors