Treasure Hunting while inside a portable Shark Cage in shallow water

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Treasure Hunting while inside a 'portable' Shark Cage in shallow water

Hello all,

Has anyone considered the crazy idea of treasure hunting while scuba diving while in an enclosed shark cage? I know there seem to be obvious problems, such as mobility and metal interference. But with the talk of sharks being more prevalent these days, I wonder if anyone has tried such a repellant method.

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Treasure Hunting while inside a 'portable' Shark Cage in shallow water

What!

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II

So does that mean you need a support ship that will move you into a new position every 2 minutes? :tard:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK,

Divers rarely have any problems with sharks. People on the surface can be mistaken for a sharks natural prey, but divers look completely different to sharks and divers can also usually see them coming. As long as I have been diving the Gulf of Mex. and West Coast, I have never been attacked.

Divers also need to know the warning signs of a shark getting upset (stiff swimming, pectoral fins aimed down, etc), because they are territorial.

Best-Mike

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro

:sign13: I think I've got an idea. Do like they do in Africa. Build a floating, shark net cage, 30' x 30'. It can roll up & travel, then put it in the water, and swim & hunt "inside" the floating shark net cage! There may be a problem with the authorities and possible fish, dolphins, manatees' getting caught in the net. If possible, try to make a net that they can't get caught in. ?? If such a thing is possible??

You can weigh the bottom of the net down with tubes of sand, pvc pipe, ?? Hunt inside it in a grid pattern, then move the whole thing over about 30', and hunt some more!!

You may look a little weird, but maybe something like that can work??

I am looking forward to all responses to my idea!! lol.

Thank you, Susan, and my Salty dogs Kelly & Tinky :icon_pirat:

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

???

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro

FloridaTreasureFinder said:
:sign13: I think I've got an idea. Do like they do in Africa. Build a floating, shark net cage, 30' x 30'. It can roll up & travel, then put it in the water, and swim & hunt "inside" the floating shark net cage! There may be a problem with the authorities and possible fish, dolphins, manatees' getting caught in the net. If possible, try to make a net that they can't get caught in. ?? If such a thing is possible??

You can weigh the bottom of the net down with tubes of sand, pvc pipe, ?? Hunt inside it in a grid pattern, then move the whole thing over about 30', and hunt some more!!

You may look a little weird, but maybe something like that can work??

I am looking forward to all responses to my idea!! lol.

Thank you, Susan, and my Salty dogs Kelly & Tinky :icon_pirat:

Lol, I am laughing at myself. In re-reading my post, I put "there may be a problem with authorities...". I did NOT mean that (heee, haaa, lol) authorities will get caught in the net!! hee hee. lol. I meant they may oppose a person dragging such a huge thing to the beach, then deploying said huge thing in the water!!

hee hee, lol..
skt

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

Would worry more about what is on the beach with two legs than what is in the water.

Jason

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

If you're that worried about sharks you can wear a shark suit. There is also a new electronic device called a shark shield.

XT18000

May 26, 2008

IF you was hunting right over a debris field of a 1750 Gold and Silver laden Spanish
Galleon you might have a sound idea but if that's not the case, shall I go on or be nice
and just leave it like this?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You would be better off placing that cage around your vehicle on the way to the beach............

Your chances of getting killed by lightning are 30 times greater than dying of a shark attack.

It is estimated that a person's chance of getting attacked by a shark is 1 in 11.5 million, and a person's chance of getting killed by a shark is 1 in 264.1 million

True Risk of Attack: Considering that over 200 million people visit U.S. beaches every year, the number of shark attacks is relatively small. Of those millions of beach goers each year, about 40 are attacked by sharks, while over 30,000 need to be rescued from surfing incidents.

Risk of Beach Injuries and Fatalities
Drowning and other beach-related fatalities- 1 in 2 million
Drowning fatalities- 1 in 3.5 million
Shark attacks- 1 in 11.5 million
Shark attack fatalities- 0 in 264.1 million
­­­
The Real Threat: Humans...humans kill more than 100 million sharks each year and are pushing many shark species to the brink of extinction.

Shark Attacks in the United States from 2004- 2008

State TotalAttacks Fatal Non-fatal

Florida 119 1 118

Hawaii 18 1 17

California 15 2 13

South Carolina 18 0 18

North Carolina 10 0 10

Texas 10 0 10

Oregon 5 0 5

Alabama 1 0 1

Total 196 4 192

Shark attack data obtained from the International Shark Attack File http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/ISAF/ISAF.htm

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I quit Water hunting last year after an encounter with a hammerhead In waste deep water .. Knee deep at Low tide is about It for more . and I still find gold .. without the worry of sharks ... Guzz1

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am 500 miles from any ocean. If a shark attacks me it will be a land shark like the one on the old SNL show. They come knocking on the door disguised as messengers and then eat you when you open the door! Monty

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well after I ran into my 3 little friends I realized that there were signs I should of been aware of, one being the nice cold stream that was flowing quickly through the gut I was hunting in, and two the hundreds of bait fish that was all around me. When they started popping in the water like popcorn, it was only seconds before the sharks were upon me. Since then if I am in the water and see mass amounts of bait fish, I stay a little closer to shore that day.

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505

Everyone should buy a copy of "Seven Chinese Brothers". Those guys know how to hunt the water (even if they are fishermen).

PS- Please do not spend much time looking for this book. You will be annoyed at my buffoonery.

Fathead

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

txkickergirl said:
Well after I ran into my 3 little friends I realized that there were signs I should of been aware of, one being the nice cold stream that was flowing quickly through the gut I was hunting in, and two the hundreds of bait fish that was all around me. When they started popping in the water like popcorn, it was only seconds before the sharks were upon me. Since then if I am in the water and see mass amounts of bait fish, I stay a little closer to shore that day.

When you see schools of bait fish, it is time to be very aware, when you see bait fishing jumping, it is time to move close to shore.....

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro

Is the parking lot considered "close to shore" ? :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Odds..........

Odds of dying in a car accident: 1 in 18,585
Odds of being killed by lightning: 1 in 2,320,000
Odds of dying from a shark attack: 1 in 300,000,000
Odds of dying from being bitten by a dog: 1 in 700,000

I'm not going to lose any sleep over sharks, or stop hunting the ocean beaches because of fear of a shark attack......

Your more then 30 times more likely to be hit by lighting, then bit by a shark..............When I go hunting I am worried about being in a car accident, being bit by a shark does not concern me.......life is too short to worry about something with odds of 1 in 300 MILLION.....

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Remember JAWS :laughing9: :laughing9:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Been shot at by SAM 1 missiles while in B-52s over Viet Nam, been on Airforce KC135 plane between Guam and Okinawa, when an engine fell off, on another KC 135 when a window blew out and plane depressurized, mistakenly told by a doctor he suspected I had bladder cancer, drove litterly close to a million miles since I started driving, (drove 50,000+ miles a year when I was working on the road for close to 15 years) fell off several 2 story buildings, and a couple 3 story buildings while working construction and as a chimney sweep, and many other chances taken when I was young and stupid.......

Jaws least of my worries..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread