6X More Finds in Shallow Water than Sand?

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Hello,

A book I've been reading indicates that there is an adage that there is roughly 6 times more treasure in shallow water than in sand. (I realize that shallow water hunting is quite a bit more difficult, and also you may find 6X as much trash as in the sand!) But my question is: Is it your experience that there is roughly 4X as much treasure in shallow water? 2X? 10X? And finally, is the added expense and effort worth it to be in the water vs. the sand. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am beginning to understand your name now. I am not sure the book you are reading. But at one time metal detecting was limited to land and beaches. Back in 1967 guys had land detectors mounted on there heads and cleaning house in the water. This lasted through the 1980's, now just about everybody you see hunts in the water! 35 years ago when I started it was rare to see anyone hunting the beach or land for that mater. Now I get up for low tide in 14 degree weather at 5:30am and find 6 guys on the beach before I got there. So good sound advice would be don't go chasing treasure, I did this when I was 17 (1976) Oh ya I found good stuff but I wasted hrs driving instead of hunting. To date my best finds turn out to be in my home town in 1998 on a newly vacant lot. I found the best stuff in 1 month the one could find in a life time. steve

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some will say that others will say the opposite. I've gone detecting with friends where one time I may find something out in the water and they don't find much in the dry. The next time it may be the opposite. It's all a crapshoot.

Like Buried Crap NJ said sometimes the best finds are found in places near you. Some of my best finds have been near my house on vacate lots. My only silver half is from a lot where an old house was torn down.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a LOT more good finds in the water, or wet sand that was under water durring the last high tide...............Majority of my good finds have been ankle to chest deep....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the tide comes in an goes out the finds that were dry one minute are covered with varying amounts of water depending on the slope or the bottom. There are also less hunters in the water where more fingers are slippery with suntan lotion and cold water to shrink fingers.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find more and better finds in the water than on land. I refuse to hunt dry sand unless I am desperate, because of all the trash on land, in the water pull tabs aside, I find very little trash.

GkBasnight

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2009
greenville,nc
Detector(s) used
whites beachhunter
i agree my best finds have been in the water, but i dont agree with 4x or 6x more targets. less trash for sure, and better finds tho.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only hunt fresh water an so far I have not found one single piece of jewelry on the beach, but I've found alot from the water line out to waist deep . :icon_thumleft:

HH Tank

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting in the water:

The benefits are less trash and less people to bother you. I usually only have a set period of time to hunt so I don't have time to talk.

The draw backs are an occasional shark (usually don't even know that they are there) and sting rays (where dive boots and shuffle your feet).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread