Is It Possible to be Addicted to Metal Detecting?

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Hello all,

I wanted to thank most of you who replied to my flurry of questions. I do realize on the surface my questions seem crazy, but I like asking them as they often turn out to yield interesting answers. Yes, I am very thin-skinned, so any replies that hint of sarcasm, etc. annoy the heck of me, but hey, life is short, right.

I just spent ~2 hours talking with my friend (sponsor) about being addicted to metal detecting. (You say: What the XZH@#% are you talking about?). Well, as you can tell from my posts, I am an intense person, and I am coming to terms that in addition to being motivated by the beach and water and finding cool stuff, I am also motivated by money (greed) and recognition ("Wow, look what Overkill Overkill found today on the beach!!") and not nearly as much as I thought for the sheer "fun" of metal detecting. The clincher came when my friend asked, "What if you gave everything you found away to charity - would you still want to metal detect?" Honestly, I had to reply "no."
I thought perhaps I could "moderate" my metal detecting by committing to a goal of just covering my expenses with my finds, but for me (and speaking for me only) this would be like trying to have just 1 beer. But I was wondering if anyone else 'struggles' with this issue? For example, does your significant other complain that you spend too much time hunting? Do you leave the beach feeling quite dejected if you don't reach a predetermined goal?

Sadly, I may have to give up metal detecting as I have had to give up alcohol, blackjack, and other vices. But I was wondering if any of you would be willing to comment on what drives you to detect?

Upvote 0

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
First you have to admit that you are powerless.

If you can honestly say that, you should give it up.

If your MDing compares to your other dependence issues I would be suprised.

A compulsion/ obsessive relationship is more likely.

21 years and counting.

Thanks for letting me share.

Fathead

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ok Ok you need to see a shrink.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Would you pursue fishing as a hobby if your goal was to make a living off the fish you caught and could sell?

For most people, the answer would be no.

It wouldn't be profitable or enjoyable if you felt you had to catch enough fish to earn a profit each time you went fishing.

Same is true with metal detecting.

It will quickly turn into a miserable very low paying job if you are only in it for the money.

There will be many, many days when all you find are bottle caps, pull tabs, and a few pennies.

But for many of us, it is the thrill of the hunt that keeps us out there.

Plus, being on the beach, near or in the water, getting exercise, and never knowing what you might find each time you get a tone.

Just yesterday I dug four 50 caliber artillery shells, and 3 matching bullets, 10 quarters, 13 pennies, several dimes and a few nickels.

A lot of work, for meager finds.

But it was fun, and I'll be back out there today.

If I were it it for only the money, I would have quit a long time ago.

Bill

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If I were it it for only the money, I would have quit a long time ago."
Bill said it correctly. I do it for the fun and adventure. Girls at the beach look at me longingly as the detector is a babe magnet. :laughing7:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
"Girls at the beach look at me longingly as the detector is a babe magnet. :laughing7:

uhhmmm....sandman, exactly what detector do you use? :laughing7:

i am in it for the fun, interesting finds, historical objects found, enjoyment of the sites i am detecting. if i happen to find something of value, thats just a bonus!!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah, I'm addicted to metal detecting. Once I had a hobby ... NOW the hobby has me! But I love my relationship. I am calm, enjoy beautiful sunsets, find an occasional Gold ring or two and I'm never more than three miles from home. Gotta Love it!

Are you going to get rich metal detecting? Maybe. But don't count on it ... unless you are willing to just about give up the life you have now. You're looking at multi-thousands spent on equipment, most of your non hunting times spent on research, no social life at all. Maybe you could .. but would you really want to? I'm thinking of Mel Fisher. Yep he was a success.

Florida? Heck, check out "Jerome's" posts from France.

I'd love to try finding some historic type sites in Missouri ..ummm ... some old sites ..Yeah it would be fun.

HH Joe

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
I love spending a summerday on the beach and I'd like to be able to go more often. When I was living in the Caribbean I used to spend hours in the water spearfishing or exploring shallow shipwrecks. Here in Germany it's too cold for that. I could never waste my time just laying on a towel when on the beach, metal detecting is a perfect way to spend a day, get some exercise, talk to people and of course making a surprising find sometimes. There are no other detectorists where I normally go so the clad I find usually pays for gas, batteries, a Kebap or chicken with fries and a coffee on the way home. If I don't find anything- well, I spent a nice day, maybe next time I find a pocket knife or a watch, the battery of a digicam, a couple of hotwheels or whatever. Or I can help a nice lady find the necklace she just lost, you never know....Maybe during the summer I could even make a living metaldetecting but then it wouldn' t be fun anymore. I've got a good job but it's no fun unfortunally, because I have to do it to pay the bills. Addicted to metaldetecting? No. But like Sandman uses to say: Metaldetecting is the best fun you can have with your clothes on.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to ask if it is addictive, you are already addicted! Monty

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I became addicted the day I found my first diamond ring, a nice 1/2 carot that the wife wears now.....................

I am not in it for the money, I detect because I enjoy it, it is great excercise, I am outside in the fresh air, usually walking a beach hearing the surf roll in, smelling the fresh salt air, great scenery in the summer time with the bikinis, and it is a hobby that pays for itself. Your not going to get rich detecting, Maybe 1 out of 100,000 might....

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Accept that it will be very hard to make a living with this hobby!

Do it for the adventure, the exercise, the thrill of discovery and finding things, and the fun of being outdoors in close contact with the elements!

Enjoy every opportunity to metal detect and be thankful for the many freedoms we enjoy which allow us to be an adventurer of this sort.

The real treasure is not so much in the value of the things we find, but in the experience itself!

Someone said:"To travel is better than to arrive"

Happy Hunting!
-Moe

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I enjoy it as a hobby, addicted, no.....Not any different than fishing or playing poker.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: the voices in my head say we are not addicted so I don't understand what your talking about :laughing9: lol

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Define addicted......... :dontknow:

GOD, GRANT ME THE SERENITY

To accept the things I cannot change;

The courage to change the things I can;

AND - the wisdom to know the difference

I'm wise enough to know the difference - that's why I have so many metal detectors. :headbang: :headbang:

B

herbcat

Jan 13, 2010
long island, ny
Detector(s) used
mx7 1776 king charles 111 silver reale
:icon_thumright:

if i am addicted so be it...i am out 5 days a week 3 hours a day in the summer. in the winter as much possible. when i am in florida during part of the winter my routine stays the same. i enjoy it i meet new people and make new friends. i would change nothing.

enjoy and have fun

herb

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
while its not really phyically "addictive" like drugs or alcohol or smoking --it can rather bad "hobby" for a obcessive compulsive or addictive type personailty person to take up as a "hobby" --esp if their eat up with the "greed bug" as well--- greed and treasure hunting are a bad mix , greed will drive freinds away and make one mean and nasty to others --its mine,mine,mine (think of a adult eat up with greed as --- a giant 3 year old screaming that -- not a pretty picture huh? ) --the humphry bogart movie--- "treasure of the sierra madre" should come with every metal detector * sort of like the warning label on a pack of smokes .

in short --if your having to ask "do I have a problem with "---------------- fill in the blank -----" in this case ---spending too much time away from the wife / girl freind metal detecting ? the answer is most likely yes --but as a additive personality you already know this , don't you?

but the larger question is really --why do I want to spend so much time away from my wife or girl freind ? -- in a honest healthy relationship one should want to spend time with their "loved ones"

metal detecting is a "fun hobby" but not at the cost of a relationship you want to keep or care about.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you cannot balance family, friends, work and responsibilities you are in trouble! As I tell my wife it could be worse, I could be spending $100 a couple times a month for golf! At least I can bring her back jewelry when I MD. Unfortunately I have not found any good ladies jewelry yet but I am hoping. By the way, I hear about the guys with wives and kids that MD with them and am in awe. And just to be open....I am obsessed...not for the money but the thrill of the finds.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. O and I go mding together 98% of the time. Every once in awhile, if I cannot get out, or he has to be at the ranch, we will go for a little while by ourselves.

But, we do most stuff together - but, its always been that way. So, we are lucky.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread