Non metalic floating sifter prototype

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to make a floating sifter that you could pass your detector over without it going off unless you scooped up something metal. I've noticed guys scooping in the surf, rechecking the hole and if they still have a signal they just empty the scoop and scoop up more. Who's to say there wasn't a target in the scoop? I've found more than one target clumped together, especially in the water. I made this one so it all snaps apart for cleaning. Ideally I would like to use an inner tube but I can't find one with a plastic valve. Ever heard of one? I tested this one in my bathtub and you can put a lot of weight in it and it still floats.I designed it so the part with the holes sits about an inch below the surface of the water. The Lexan disc is completely unbreakable, you can smash your scoop on it and not harm it. The styrofoam tire spacer I found on eBay. I work at a glass co. so the Lexan was free. Total cost: $20. Looking forward to your input...Rich.

Attachments

• sifter resized.jpg
    sifter resized.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,105
  • sifter resized2.jpg
    sifter resized2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 995
  • sifter resized3.jpg
    sifter resized3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 908
  • surf sifter.jpg
    surf sifter.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 972
Upvote 0

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
One big flaw in your design....high center of gravity.....it needs a wider floating base.....one scoop of heavy sand and that thing is tumbling over like a bowling pin and or sinking.....I use a plastic bread pallet.....i line it with plastic mesh tie it down with plastic lock ties....and lash a foam swimming pool noodle float around the perimeter this proves to be a verrrrry stable sifter....here's a pic of the plastic bread pallet that you can get from any food store or mini mart you just have to schmooze the proprieter a little.....

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,159

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You mentioned an inner tube, but they have a metal valve stem. You should consider the swimming pool float/tube. Should be available at any Wally-World. Surf-Digger is right, you need to extend the base.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Non metalic floating sifter prototype.......Sd is right

Got video coming on the making of this sifter, All plastic no metal, cost about 3o Dollars to make...still have several feet of the plastic mesh for sale..Joe

Attachments

• Nonmetal sifter.jpg
    Nonmetal sifter.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 2,461
  • sifter BT N Net.jpg
    sifter BT N Net.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,064

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice one Joe. I don't use a sifter anymore as my Sunspot sifts all the sand out before I get it to the surface. I used a Garrett gold classifier pan with an motor cycle inner tube. Light weight and worked great.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Sandman, I really like the Sunspot scoop and would have went for that style of scoop but most here in the bay use the old miller scoops and the float sifters. Guess because it is more of a muck, clay, sand mix. {pic}...Joe

Sorry richm, did not mean to takeover your post.......great amount of work went into your design, looks Hitech...let us know how it works.....joe

Attachments

• Grabbed Frame 6.jpg
    Grabbed Frame 6.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 921

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done basically the same design but I inserted pool noodles for extra boyancy inside of the pvc piping.

I also live about an hour away from Calvert Cliffs MD and have recovered 5 Megladon teeth with this bread pallet sifter there.

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
heres the sifter that i use.it is also non metallic, because i use a vibra probe to locate targets that aren't easily seen. my scoop does a great job on sugar sand but when ever i hunt were there is gravel, shells, marl, etc i just dump my scoop in my sifter and keep on hunting (yes i always bury my holes :-)) if there is alot of gravel, shells or debri in the sifter i use my vibra probe to locate targets. the sifter has significantly improved the number of very small finds and the number of finds overall because i don't spend any time looking for targets in the bottom of my scoop instead that time is spent looking for targets in the bottom:-)

even when i'm hunting in lake michigan (which has very fine sugar sand) i still take my sifter just to float my scoop, trash bag, etc on.

steve

ps a little trick i picked up from cupajoe is to make a small anchor and let it drag as you hunt, this keeps sifter from crowding you when working down wind/current. it also leaves a nice line so you can see where you've been.

Attachments

• sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,269
  • rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,080
  • rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 761
  • sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 792

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't empty a scoop with out sifting it first, found too many double targets in a hole, I also scan over where I drain my scoop after finding target just to be sure.

Most of the time for us a sifter will not work in the oceans here, too much surf on east coast, but would work on west coast many times and South Florida, but rarely ever see or use one, I have one I made, works well, uses fine mesh but I very rarely ever use it, we have sugar sand here and it drains quickly.

Use a "noodle" it is the long swimming pool floats, about 6 foot long and 3 inches wide......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Thanks Sandman, I really like the Sunspot scoop and would have went for that style of scoop but most here in the bay use the old miller scoops and the float sifters. Guess because it is more of a muck, clay, sand mix. {pic}...Joe

Sorry richm, did not mean to takeover your post.......great amount of work went into your design, looks Hitech...let us know how it works.....joe
I would love to have one of them old Miller scoops now only with more holes like the Sunspot or if the Sunspot had a handle like the Old Miller scoop. :headbang:

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Treasure_Hunter said:
I don't emty a scoop with out sifting it first, found too many double targets in a hole, I also scn over where I drain my scoop after finding target just to be sure.

Most of the time for us a sifter will not work in the oceans here, too much surf on east coast, but would work on west coast many times and South Florida, but rarely ever see or use one, I have one I made, works well, uses fine mesh but I very rarely ever use it, we have sugar sand here and it drains quickly.

Use a "noodle" it is the long swimming pool floats, about 6 foot long and 3 inches wide......

Yep, I've pulled multiple targets out of the same hole many times with the scoop.

While using a sifter in fresh water, I've had jewelry sitting there that was almost tossed out while I was looking at another target in the box. :icon_scratch:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad I spotted this thread. there is a lot of great info in it . Thanks everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions