excal #1 cz20/21 #2............what about the rest????

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks like the minelab excalibur detectors are the most used/popular saltwater detectors with the fisher cz20/21 detectors running a close second!!
i have only used a cz20 and i often wonder about all the other "less popular" underwater detectors and why they are less popular?? if you have used some of the "others" please give your opinion as to why they are less popular.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use the CZ-20 which is still going strong, but perfer the Excal because it ignores iron near a good target and report on it. Other detectors mask out the good target too. The CZ-21 is a newer version and the only major change is the pinpoint button, which I don't need to use anyway. When my CZ-20 dies, I won't buy the 21.

The Tiger Shark is also a great detector for fresh or saltwater. Some have reported it being unstable at their saltwater beaches an this is due to varying amounts of salt and black sand. NOT all beaches are the same in minerals.

The White's Beach Hunter ID 300 is a good detectors. I just hate it because I like to hunt in the water and the coil wants to float. White's advertises it as "Near-Neutral Buoyant" when in fact it floats like a cork so you have to force it down near the bottom. But this light weight coil is great for dry sand.

Forget the cheap Cobra and such detectors as everyone that has one of these upgrades fast. Stick with the major brands.

I'll let someone else tell you about the Pulse detectors which shine at saltwater beaches if you are young or have a strong back. I have neighter anymore. :hello:

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks sandman, i know the ecal, cz20 and cz21 are good detectors! and i know to stay away from the cheapo imports. when i say "the others" i am talking about tesoro, whites, garrett, jw fisher, detectorpro. not looking for advice on a new detector( my next will be a excal ) just wondering about the less used major brands.
pi detectors are another matter and, no i do not want to dig that much or that deep. im not that young any more eiether!!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

I've used the Fisher 1280X, I think it's THE best and only true "all around" machine. For salt water, fresh water and on land.
It's not as popular because whenever someone on the boards says "What about the Fisher 1280X for the beach?" Just about everyone says "It doesn't work at the beach".
When someone on the boards asks about the 1280X for fresh water everyone says " Get the Tesoro Tiger Shark for freshwater because it gets the chains". sign_goodluck.gif

Attachments

• sign_goodluck.gif
    sign_goodluck.gif
    921 bytes · Views: 302
OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have heard that the 1280x falses too much in the salt. is that true??????????

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:

You have to remember that most folks that use any detector run the sens to high. Not all beaches or even tot lots are the same. Some beaches have higher concentrations of salt and black sand which can throw off some detectors and other places they work like a charm. Some guys say something and this applies only to what they said. We don't know how experienced they are or their settings. Even if we did, we haven't experienced the ground where they're at.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
seeker41 said:
Having used a Fisher 1280X for over 16 years, yes they do have a little bit of a problem with waves in salt water.

Once you get the coil completely under water, then it is a great machine. I prefer the Excalibur machines for wet sand / waves in the salt water as it is more stable. The 1280X gets chatty when the waves hit the coil.

The 1280X is excellent for fresh water.

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
An older fellow than myself had the following advice on how to use a PI machine on the beach: Use it only on the wet sand and as deep as you care to go underwater. That is the place you need its ability to penetrate salt water. Then use a VLF detector on the dry beach, where you need its superior trash rejection. I understand that the Minelab can do both, but they are pretty expensive.

Chip V.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

seeker41 said:

That's not true, Sandman and Steve are both right. If you leave the sens too high it will constantly false, it will also make the machine unstable and cause it to actually work against you. This machine requires that you turn the sens down to get the best results. A lot of people don't know that about this machine, it's not the type you run hot. I am in the Northeast with a lot of black sand and in the wet and dry I can run it wide open with the sens set at 10. When I hit the water, it does need to be in or out and when you're in you will have to turn the sens down some depending on the mineralization. Some beaches for me means turning it down to 9 or 8. One of the worst beaches I hit I had to turn it down to 6 but I was still pulling up deep targets. It just annoys me when I see someone post that this machine doesn't work at the beach. :(

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all your replies :icon_thumright: i have not used a 1280x but i do use a cz20 and although some say they are also prone to falseing i can say i have not had that problem!!!!!!!! i also know better as far as cranking the sens to much.

Posted by: TreasurdiggrNY......"I am in the Northeast with a lot of black sand and in the wet and dry I can run it wide open with the sens set at 10." :headbang:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I've recently purchased a T-2 from the Classified section here. The machine ended up being sent to First Texas to be checked out as I darn near wrapped the detector around a tree the first week. They replaced every component except for the metal shaft (coil, battery compartment, control housing). They even replaced the foam grip, but the shaft is original. All free of charge. :icon_thumleft: I've been experimenting with it as of late at the beach. The machine is super lightweight and goes very deep ( deepest target recovered so far was over 18" - quarter). Turning the sensitivity down (45 - default is 60), it handles the wet just fine. The elliptical covers a wide swath.

I also use a Sea Hunter Mark 2. Love the PI.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread