All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Dew,

Englewood is adjacent to the very long Manasota Key beach.

There are three main beach areas: north public beach, middle beach, and the south beach.

The south beach is by far the largest and most visited beach.

Parking is free at the north and middle beach, but payment is required at the south beach, with fines starting at $125 for failure to pay.

The north beach area is very rustic, and has limited parking. Not much of a crowd there, and not much to be found.

The middle beach is even more rustic, and again, usually limited to locals who know better than to wear jewelry to that beach.

The south beach is the tourist beach, and is adjacent to a row of older beach motels and newer condos.

I've found gold and silver, a watch and many coins on the south beach.

They plow the beach every morning, but mainly to remove the beer cans and trash.

If I lived in Englewood, I'd search the south beach. And never forget to pay for parking.

Bill

astro-nut

Sep 12, 2008
southwest fla
Detector(s) used
whites spectra, dual field, beachhunter300, minelab quattro
dew i will see u in engelwood i hunt there almost every day. no greate finds yet but when march comes around and the kids get out of school it should get better. i went to venice beach yesterday and its a big beach but i have to study it more i saw alot more trash there yesterday then in engelwood well i off to engelwood now

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
I live less than 100 yards from the main Venice Public beach, and can tell you that several people detect that beach every day.

It is a relatively small beach, mostly hard pack sand down to the high tide mark. Items dropped stay on the surface and are usually quickly found by those that drop them.

The average age in Venice is 72, and most of the visitors to the Venice public beach are residents of the nearby retirement condos. These people rarely wear expensive jewlery, and rarely wear it on the beach.

Due to limited parking, and limited attractions, Venice beaches don't attract the young crowds like the south public beach in Englewood or the main public Siesta Key in Sarasota.

Sharkey's beach which is south of the Venice public beach, is more active, but has the same kind of hard packed sand, is also detected many times daily by locals who live nearby.

Bill

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Englewood Beach is OK certain times of the year. Venice beach at times is good. Locals may not wear lots of gold but many tourist dig in the water and wet sand looking for shark teeth and lose rings.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
As I sit at my computer writing this message, I can view Venice Public beach and the parking lot out my window - so I can provide first hand, see it every day knowledge of whats going on at Venice Beach.

Yoga classes in the morning, senior citizens strolling the beach during the day, accoustic country music 2 nights a week, karaoke on Friday night.

Rarely more than 50 people attend these events. With less than 70 parking spaces at the beach, not much of crowd - except on 4th of July for the big fireworks show.

The sharks teeth beach is about 3 miles south of Venice beach, further south than Sharkey's pier.

Its called Casperson Beach, an undeveloped beach, with dirt parking (no charge).

People do search for shark's teeth there, but probably no more than 80 people a day use that beach.

Still, for anyone looking for a day on a quiet beach, Venice is the place.

Bill

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Astro i guess ill be seeing you at S. Englewood beach. Ok... how much to park and for how long? Let me do the math. I really dont mind hunting behind anyone i still get my share of interesting finds others miss. The SE does a pretty good job on the beach... little slow but i preferr that in someways. If you want a hunting buddy Astro or anyone in the area let me know. I will be driving the RV over on the first. Ive done surprisingly well this last couple of months here in Avon Park. I must have at least 12 to 15 silver.

Dew

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew great to see this old thread I think you have come a long way.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question several hunt the water there as one of their rotation beaches Id say those from Ft Meyers to Bradenton. Its pretty clean out there...... i try to keep it that way since it so close to my house. This time of year there is a lot of competition on ALL the beaches. I was there late today and there were 3 hunting it. Couple days earlier 3 on the beach and 1 in the water with me.

Baywalker thanks.... ive been working my butt off trying to learn a little something out there. 2 years later and im not sure how much ive learned but ive gotten a couple keeper.

Dew

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No there isnt. Hunting is kind of like dating..... you get to know several of the hunters in the area that you run into regularly. From there you find that
FEW you enjoy chatting with or even hunting with occasionally. BUT, it gets a little competitive with a group.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since they renourshed several of the beaches the take is off too. I hit N. Mannasta this winter pretty good but didn't find much. Only good stuff was at Nokomis. Was impressed with my new Stealth 720I scoop even it it didn't get too many goodies.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didnt renurish any of the Englewood beaches. They stopped after Sharkies in Venice. Alot of that sand on some of the beaches just moved south and didnt stay on the beach. Im shocked at how many people hit these small beaches in Englewood. Seems like this year i saw more here than on some of the more popular ones North of us. There are a few locals that you see hunting them DAILY. Which makes for slim pickens.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a detecting group in Englewoo,fl, if not is anyone interested in getting one started?

There are enough of us here in SWFL to justify having a club....
Problem is, I'm not computer savvy enough to organize anything, and the lone wolf nature of detectorists, seems that getting something off the ground is a stretch.

Fact is, none of us want to go to Tampa or Miami area to find fellowship.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave..... there is a club in Bradenton. I also agree..... its kind of a long wolf hobby. Finding a couple of people you enjoy hunting with seems to be more the norm.

bigriverjay

Sep 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Englewood, just chiming in. I know they just finished moving a lot of sand around stump pass area, they were dredging it out again, and made what looks like a mini jetty.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if they renourish Manasota key ...... and they seem to be getting serious about it Stump pass will get more sand than they bargained for. Unless they renourish differently that sand is always going to move...... into the water then South. Right now........ most of the beaches here are set up best for sharks teeth hunting not detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions