Ex cal 1000 in the surf

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first try at surf hunting. Put on my waders grabbed my 5" stainless scoop was working the surf about knee deep. Got a good hit it was deep,kept digging,finally moved it was just about to get my hands on it, big wave hit me ran over the top of my waders.
and sweep my possible ring away. couldn't find it any where around in 5 ft radius.
This happened 3 times. I may need a two foot wide scoop? or surf hunting class. after 2 hours I gave up, got my GT and worked the wet sand. found a nice gold plated chain with a senior pendant.
Surf hunting takes some skill. I will try again.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many pull tabs, and some corroded bottlecaps sound just like gold......When hunting with MT Pckets he pulled a gold diamond and ruby ring, worth morth then 3 new detectors out of the surf. We reburied it in wet salt sand, and I listen to it on my Excal and again on his Excal, it sounded just like a pull top to both of us...

OP
OP
sandsifter

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I experienced that today also diff tabs sound diff. the large ring type really sound good

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. I hunt mainly in the Tampa Clearwater area and the surf there is normally pretty calm. On most days it is almost like a large lake. When I visit my mother in the Panhandle of Florida, there tends to be higher more aggressive waves more often there. I have had targets blown out of the hole I am digging, knocked out of my scoop and I have been knocked over and down so many times I thought I was in a boxing match with George Foreman. There is nothing like having that good signal ripped away from you and not being able to find it again. It can get frustrating but everyone is right. You do get better at getting them. In those conditions, I try to pinpoint the target exactly and then I get really aggressive in getting to it as fast as possible. Timing waves is possible but not always accurate but it does help.

Good luck and keep on keeping on.

DaChief

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread