Ex cal 1000 in the surf

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first try at surf hunting. Put on my waders grabbed my 5" stainless scoop was working the surf about knee deep. Got a good hit it was deep,kept digging,finally moved it was just about to get my hands on it, big wave hit me ran over the top of my waders.
and sweep my possible ring away. couldn't find it any where around in 5 ft radius.
This happened 3 times. I may need a two foot wide scoop? or surf hunting class. after 2 hours I gave up, got my GT and worked the wet sand. found a nice gold plated chain with a senior pendant.
Surf hunting takes some skill. I will try again.

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Perseverance is the name of the game!

You WILL get better as time goes on. IF you keep at it.

I have spoken!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't skill as much as luck to not get knocked over. Rouge waves can come at any time so you need to get the target out as soon as you can which can be difficult when it is deep. A ring or coin in your scoop can also be taken away from you by a wave that hits you at the wrong time. I wish I had a nickle for every time I got dumped head over heals in the waves. I won't wear waders in a surf becuase of safety. You also must learn to watch for undertows.

OP
OP
sandsifter

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I will have a wet suit and a bigger scoop before trying again. I was pleased the Excal did his job well. I just couldn't hold up my end.
I saw. I heard 3 very good tones,one could have been pull tab, the other 2 were rings i believe.
I saw someone using a scoop with two handles and were connected at the top with a curve. I think one like that might help. at least i would know which way it was turned. I lost mine and had to detect it. undertow had moved it a few feet

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sifter, you have to keep one eye on each wave coming in as you work a target, after so many waves one is larger then the previous and then goes back to average till it builds up again. When i am in the surf I constantly have one eye on each wave coming in.....

For me a 5 inch scoop is way to small for working in the water, its okay for wet sand, but not in the surf. My primary scoop is the Beach Brute II, it is 8.5 inches wide. My back up scoop is a 6 inch scoop and compared to the Beach Brute it looks tiny...........

Here is exact copy of my scoop right down to the handle next to an Excal 1000 (Picture is MT Pockets scoop and Excal but shows good size comparison to Excal 1000)

BeachBruteIIShoop.jpg

beachbrute-1-1.jpg
<-----Note Size

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Get a Big scoop & if U have a wood handle it will float. I bungee mine to a D ring on my quick release belt & get a wet suit

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 737
OP
OP
sandsifter

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Treasure hunter
I was just looking at one from Kellyco $214 shipped
probly would have paid for itself today. I am getting one

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beansie said:
Wow Thats a real nice scoop, where can I buy one of the Brutes

They are made by RTG, and sold by Kelloco......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandsifter said:
T.H. do you like the blue $30 handle??

I got mine before they cost $30, but yes it is the best handle I have found so far. It is adjustible to several angles and it will support full bucket of sand with no problem at all....I am very happy with it. I love the balance on the Beach Brute, I can set it on my shoulder with bucket behine me and rest my left arm over the top of the handle, it is really comfortable there while hunting. I moded the scoop by adding aluminum rain gutter screen to 1/5th of bottom cornor of the scoop to catch earring studs....Works great.

OP
OP
sandsifter

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks
How does the scoop act without the handle?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sandsifter,

In the Gulf of Mexico, the waves aren't phenomenally huge, but working the surf here in Southern California, I learned early on DO NOT TURN YOUR BACK TO THE OCEAN! I work chest deep all the time. If you see'em coming, you can get set or take a deep breath.

Here's a hint for working the water: When you get your signal pinpointed as close as you can, stick your toe in the sand right on top of it, and don't move your foot. Watch the waves, and time your scoop with a smaller one. If you have to ride out three or four bigger waves waiting on the smaller one, your toe is still right on top of your target.

Best-Mike

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Short video from this summer, Going from the wet sand to knee deep, waves were waist to chest. A First, And proble the last time I'll find two golds in a row. Like sandsifter, I use my foot as a guide by alining PP with the front of my foot , then alining my scoop with the front of my toes. Using the 10inch coil here, but the 8inch is much easier in the surf. I've missed a few and some I could have swore they were rings, turned around and found they were only nickles........ Good Luck.....joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandsifter said:
Thanks
How does the scoop act without the handle?

Makes it easy to raise it out of the water full of sand to check.....

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
water hunting takes practice, its a whole new game out there. I get rolled by waves regularly, I surface cussing and looking around to see how many people are laughing at me, and there is usually at lest one. I pinpoint my target place my foot over it and try to dig in between waves. I can usually get my scoop anchored down and hold on to it when the waves lift me up. I always dig with my back to the waves, but watch over my shoulder. I have been in less than waist deep water and have a rogue wave come up and smack me on the back of the head so hard I saw stars. I swear I thought someone had knocked me in the back of the head with a bat. I seldom retrieve targets with just one or two scoops sometimes I feel I am digging to china. Once you get some practice it won't feel so arkward, and you actually get a rhythm of sorts going. I have a handle on my scoop and am able to lift the scoop up with my leg enough to grab the handle, so I seldom bend over. Even in wet sand you will see me use my foot to lift up and move the scoop out of the way, then I check the hole to see if its still there if so, I just flip the scoop over with my foot and dig again. Just keep at it, once you get the hang of it you will love it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
water hunting takes practice, its a whole new game out there. I get rolled by waves regularly, I surface cussing and looking around to see how many people are laughing at me, and there is usually at lest one. I pinpoint my target place my foot over it and try to dig in between waves. I can usually get my scoop anchored down and hold on to it when the waves lift me up. I always dig with my back to the waves, but watch over my shoulder. I have been in less than waist deep water and have a rogue wave come up and smack me on the back of the head so hard I saw stars. I swear I thought someone had knocked me in the back of the head with a bat. I seldom retrieve targets with just one or two scoops sometimes I feel I am digging to china. Once you get some practice it won't feel so arkward, and you actually get a rhythm of sorts going. I have a handle on my scoop and am able to lift the scoop up with my leg enough to grab the handle, so I seldom bend over. Even in wet sand you will see me use my foot to lift up and move the scoop out of the way, then I check the hole to see if its still there if so, I just flip the scoop over with my foot and dig again. Just keep at it, once you get the hang of it you will love it.

Kickergirl, you are dead on for what it is like digging in the surf 99% of the time. People may laugh, but gold and diamond rings laying in the bottom of the scoop is great revenge......

OP
OP
sandsifter

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all
When I get my beach brute 11 scoop. It should improve my odds along with your suggestions.

ocjeff

Oct 14, 2009
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
excalibur, cz20, v3
hi, i am not saying it was not a gold ring. but very well could have been a pull tab. when the water is rough, that will happen alot. they are light and will wash away in a heartbeat. hope this helped. hh jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread