Feb 25th on Hilton Head Island SC

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Had yet another great day of Metal Detecting. We are here at the Hilton Oceanfront Resort at Hilton Head Island. This place is amazing and the beach is NOT small like I thought it is ENORMOUS!

We got here at around 2PM and hit the beach. There are cuts near the high water mark but they are only about 12-18 inches. That is where I found most of my coins (clad).

I started off at the cuts, picked up some coins right away but then moved to the water line and and found nothing. I then moved up a bit to the low scalloped wet sand areas and picked up some more coins, still nothing old or valuable but good fun.

I moved up to the soft sand and discovered that the pulltabs and bottle caps are there and very shallow. I did find a few things but nothing heavy so after about30 minutes I went back to working the cuts.

We realized then that there are markers, like mile markers on the beach access ramps. Good thing too cause we forgot which ramp we entered the beach at.
Not sure how some people find all these rings every time they go out. I am diggin stuff 1 1/2 feet down but not finding gold.
I ended up with about $2 in clad, a bullet, some trinkits and buttons but no gold.

Going to take the Titan out for a quick run on the sand tomorrow morning but then that will be it for my Metal detecting Safari.

Shame, 7 beaches and I didn't find any gold.
Think I need to do some more reading.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
JohnnieWalker said:
Had yet another great day of Metal Detecting. We are here at the Hilton Oceanfront Resort at Hilton Head Island. This place is amazing and the beach is NOT small like I thought it is ENORMOUS!

We got here at around 2PM and hit the beach. There are cuts near the high water mark but they are only about 12-18 inches. That is where I found most of my coins (clad).

I started off at the cuts, picked up some coins right away but then moved to the water line and and found nothing. I then moved up a bit to the low scalloped wet sand areas and picked up some more coins, still nothing old or valuable but good fun.

I moved up to the soft sand and discovered that the pulltabs and bottle caps are there and very shallow. I did find a few things but nothing heavy so after about30 minutes I went back to working the cuts.

We realized then that there are markers, like mile markers on the beach access ramps. Good thing too cause we forgot which ramp we entered the beach at.
Not sure how some people find all these rings every time they go out. I am diggin stuff 1 1/2 feet down but not finding gold.
I ended up with about $2 in clad, a bullet, some trinkits and buttons but no gold.

Going to take the Titan out for a quick run on the sand tomorrow morning but then that will be it for my Metal detecting Safari.

Shame, 7 beaches and I didn't find any gold.
Think I need to do some more reading.

rem these gold displayed are mostly found by experts with

the top equipment after very careful searching,on beaches they know.and a lot of it is found wet.

i spent a couple evenings this week reviewing the golden olde site

and thats one of the things he stresses is knowing your beach.

us noobies cant really hope to know many things about different

beaches that come from weeks and months of hunting there

if not years. also u need to get wet to find it.

the one gold i did find was in the shallow water. yes i am proud of braving

58 deg seas to winter surf hunt. sure great jewelry gets found on the sand.

but g.o. sez 10 to 12x is wet vs dry sand hunting. n where i found mine !

im not trying to tell u like i know it all. god knows i dont. just trying to be helpful.

i probly would have saved some gasoline. and tried one or several different closer beaches than driving all over the state.

u have one try left so u havent struck out yet.

repeat after me: today i WILL FIND THE GOLD !

mebbe if u got a beach scoop try in the shallow water..

is the titan a waterproof ?

OP
OP
JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Bingo!
Found silver this morning just north of where I hunted yesterday. It is a nice 925 earring and found it in the wet sand about mid beach about 6" down.
Also got more clad, an interesting silver coin and some other stuff. Will post the photos and video when I finish getting unpacked and situated here at home.

The Safari really does an outstanding job in the wet sand. Need to dig fast as the hole tends to fill itself back in. Found a Dime well over a foot down! Was having so much fun with the Minelab I never got around to using the Titan.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel bad about not finding gold, it's not that easy to find.

I went out several times before finally finding something of value. Trust me those that post only gold don't always find gold on every single hunt. But, there are some on here that have learned when is the best time to hunt and where. There is a lot of junk dug to find a few gold items. I could probably fill a garbage truck with junk for the handfull of gold that I have found. Also, one digs less junk in the water because it's washed away and the heavier good stuff stays behind.

I've been out hunting with some of the best and believe me they would love to find gold on every hunt too. Stick to it, give it time, and you will find it. Remember if the coil doesn't pass over it........so a big beach has a lot of territory to hunt.

Good luck and hope you find some good (gold) stuff.

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
JohnnieWalker said:
Bingo!
Found silver this morning just north of where I hunted yesterday. It is a nice 925 earring and found it in the wet sand about mid beach about 6" down.
Also got more clad, an interesting silver coin and some other stuff. Will post the photos and video when I finish getting unpacked and situated here at home.

The Safari really does an outstanding job in the wet sand. Need to dig fast as the hole tends to fill itself back in. Found a Dime well over a foot down! Was having so much fun with the Minelab I never got around to using the Titan.

Congrats on your nice finds and I'm glad that you got to travel so much & try out different beaches on your trip. I enjoy reading your adventures/posts.

I like what Johnny Walker says too, you have to get wet to find the gold!! Braving cold water can be worth it. I will be in the water around mid march in Florida. I'm excited to get out there.

I look forward to your photos & video. Thanks for sharing.

HH,

skt

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One tip to keep in mind.

It the years I have been watching posts on here and in the limited time I have been hunting beaches, I have found that the more successful hunters have the following in common.

1. They hunt in areas where there is general Public Access.
2. They hunt mainly in wet sand or the water.

It is true that you will find some gold and goodies on the dry sand but the thing is that if you could watch a beach for a good while and take a tally of the folks hunting, you will see that the dry sand gets pounded by hunters with land machines and the wet sand and shallow water gets hunted much less.

Ususally at your large resorts, the rooms have safes and the people staying there often take advantage of placing their jewelry in those safes. You may see some people wearing jewelry there near the water but not near as many as at a public access beach where the swimmers and sunbathers would rather keep their jewelry with them than leave it in their car in public parking areas.

Your more productive locations will be in the wet sand and the water, I believe for the following reasons.

1. The wet sand areas is where mom and dad sit and play with the little ones and with the lotion, water and movement combinations, the jewelry seems to pop off or get pulled off or slips off.

2. The wet sand areas are where you see folks walking the beach because it is usually easier to walk in the wet compacted sand. More foot traffic = more things dropped.

3. The wet sand is where you see other activities such as footballs being thrown and skim boarders doing their things. Again movement etc.

4. The shallow surf is where most activity in the water will take place. With the combinations of swimming, fighting waves and a host of other activity going on their combined with lotions, etc., it is just inevitable that things are going to come off bodies there.

All that being said, the wet sand and surf are the most probably places to find goodies because they are not hunted as often and they are the locations where there is more of a probability that something is coming off a body.

Similar rules apply to dry sand beaches. Your more productive areas will be

1. The "lay out line" (where there is a discernable line of beach towels and umbrellas in a row down a beach.

2. Entry and exit paths and stairways that access the beach. This is where everyone is putting on stuff, laying down stuff temporarily etc., and jostling things as they move from the cars to the beach and back.

3. Shower points if they are open and near sand.

4. Trash Can areas. (Can really try your paitence.)

5. Beach areas in front of or near concession stands or open bars.

6. Locations near attractions such as a beach amusement park, wave runner rentals, surf trampolines, sailboat rentals, etc.

I had hunted beaches for years before I got a water machine and found very little gold. The first day in the water with my water machine and there it was. From that point on, I always expected to find gold each day I went into the water and it was rare when I didn't find any. Got to go where the gold is and right now that is in the wet moreso than the dry.

Good luck.

DaChief

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread