Bring a Shovel to the Beach???

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
In Florida, is it legal to bring a shovel to the beach to dig with? Obviously we would cover the holes we dig, after we do our searching.

Since many beaches are sanded in, I had some thoughts on bringing a shovel, digging down at least 3', and about 3' wide, 4' long!? And doing some searching.

My first thoughts where 1) I must be crazy to dig something big like that!! :laughing9:
2) May take 2 hrs just from start to finish. Finish being cover it all back up & move on.
3) Labor intensive. Do I have a strong back??

How many days do I have to spend digging some of the beaches?? And what about onlookers??

I am a curious person and am not shy about doing something that may seem a little weird. I'd be willing to give it at least one try!! lol.. :tongue3:

Your thoughts??

skt

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would not suggest it for various reasons.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are trying to make a fun hobby into a job! Are you into this only for the money? If so, you'd do better working at a fast food joint and ya get to eat too.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's ok to bring a Shovel to the beach to dig with in all of FLA. beaches.!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no law in florida that says you cant bring a shovel to the beach.If you look in walmart and all the tourists shops all over florida you will see that they sell a plastic bucket and shovel for the kiddies and grownups.I bring a home depot brand pointed shovel with me when i detect or a bring a friend along that just digs where i tell him and we split what we find.

Dknight34

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro LST & SS
Hey SKT. I get what you are asking about and must say that I have thought the same thing. especially if you can find an area where harder packed sand/gravel of clay is not too deep. But still, it seems that you would spend an awful lot of time to clear a small area that would only take you a minute to detect. Reading the beach for areas where nature removes the sand for you (and over a much larger area) would be a better option. Sandman posted a great link in another post (today) where a fellow goes into detail about just this thing.
Darren

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FloridaTreasureFinder said:
Since many beaches are sanded in, I had some thoughts on bringing a shovel, digging down at least 3', and about 3' wide, 4' long!? And doing some searching.

I have thought about this many times since finding silver coins at the beach after a construction project along the boardwalk at the beach.

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps there can be nutral ground on this idea.I would suggest maybe digging to the clay or hard surface. In my area you probably only dig foot and a half to two ft. Just an idea

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Florida, is it legal to bring a shovel to the beach to dig with? Obviously we would cover the holes we dig, after we do our searching.

My first thoughts where 1) I must be crazy to dig something big like that!! :laughing9:
2) May take 2 hrs just from start to finish. Finish being cover it all back up & move on.

How many days do I have to spend digging some of the beaches?? And what about onlookers??

I am a curious person and am not shy about doing something that may seem a little weird. I'd be willing to give it at least one try!! lol.. :tongue3:

Your thoughts??

skt

Why would you dig a hole with a shovel 3 foot deep with no indication there is even a target there. Odds are very, very slim you would pick the right spot to dig to find gold, and you would attract so much negative attention, including the possiblility of having all detectors banned from the beach.....Digging a hole 3 foot deep, 3 foot wide and 6 foot long in sand, your talking a lot of work with very little hope of any reward.

You want to draw as little attention as possible to yourself and what you are doing not the most attention........

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Pasco county Florida, the three or four beaches that they allow one to hunt at, that would be the quickest way for the park rep to ask one to leave. The couple hours that they allow one to hunt either in the morning or in the late afternoon in defined areas that one can not leave the zone....I have a feeling that other beaches in Florida will follow.

I would recommend against a shovel because it is a lot more difficult to recover a target and some people, who have nothing better to do with their time, will be complaining.

Continue with your original idea of a waterproof detector and with that get a long handled scoop. You will be happy that you did. A shovel won't recover anything out in the water ;D

Also, just some advice, see if any hunters in your area will allow you to try out their scoops. I bought and sold several before I found the one that I liked. It will save you money getting it right the first time, not like me after the fifth try.

One person on here wanted to dig a 12 foot hole to see if he could find treasure down at the Treasure Coast. His idea was to keep the hole traveling down the beach until he found Spanish treasure. Of course this idea wouldn't work for many obvious reasons, one being that the water would fill it in anyway from the bottom and the sides. But still it was an idea. This type of recovery works on dry land but for other objects, from what I've been told.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Great replies. I thought of going down past the point where the detector can detect. That's why I thought about 3' deep. And as for wide/long, it wouldn't be too big.

And Treasure_Hunter is right when he points out there is no guarantee of a target.

I had some thoughts on just picking one or two areas way up from the waterline, closer to the vegetation if there is any. Where the tides/waves/storms carry & dump way up on the beach. Then anything is buried past the reach of most detectors.

I'm not in it for the money, but for the fun, adventure & curiousity.

And TH mentioned it's better to draw less attention. Correct. I was thinking perhaps sunrise or some times when there may be less people. Just a couple digs, then put shovel back in truck, then head out & search like normal.

I was thinking of what may (or may not be) down past the range of the detectors. Also, I do actually have some nice long handle, and other types of regular sand & water scoops. That's not a problem. I would use a regular scoop (if I find anything) after using the shovel to get down farther into the ground. :wink:

I agree too, about watching the weather, storms, etc for when nature moves the sands and when natural cuts develop in the wet sand, areas..

It's a thought anyway. Thanks for your input. :)

skt

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
This is from member Indianhead Jones, as he posted this on another area, but it's great advice so I am adding it here too.

Hi Everyone,

This tip is almost too obvious to post, but in my experiences with beach hunting, it's paid off time and time again!

When you've recovered your treasure, make 2 or 3 more deep scoops in that hole....you just may come up with an item that was beyond the reach of your detector!

I've found many silver coins, marbles, jewelry items and relics in this way!

Happy Hunting to All!

Larry G. hello

Thanks Larry. Good advice. ;D

Tommy Torquemada

Mar 10, 2010

Your thoughts??

skt

You need some kids, old enough to dig but not old enough to be interested in girls. If you don't have any kids of your own, round up some in the neighborhood and tell them it's a real treasure hunt. Print copies of a treasure map. If it's a day trip, their parents will probably pay you enough money for gas, shovels, food, etc. just so they can have a day off.

Regardless of the law, nobody will think twice about kids digging holes on the beach.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
You need some kids, old enough to dig but not old enough to be interested in girls. If you don't have any kids of your own, round up some in the neighborhood and tell them it's a real treasure hunt. Print copies of a treasure map. If it's a day trip, their parents will probably pay you enough money for gas, shovels, food, etc. just so they can have a day off.

Regardless of the law, nobody will think twice about kids digging holes on the beach.
[/quote]

Hi Tommy, you're right about that. I was just at Daytona a couple days ago and a teen boy had dug a 3' x 2' x 3' deep hole. I took the opportunity to stick my coil in and around the sides of the hole and covered the sand pile from the hole. I didn't find anything, but thanked the boy for digging the hole!! lol. He didn't dig it for me, but was just relaxed and casual. Probably bored, looking for something to do. lol...

skt

cage228

Jan 3, 2009
My 2 cents. I use a long handle garden type shovel often. The blade is approx 1/3 the size of a normal one. (And its 12 bucks.lol.) Works good if you pinpoint good. Mainly a wet sand thing. Not good beyond ankle deep. I keep a sand scoop on my belt. If ya get good you can learn the jiggle (lol) pick the target off the blade and not have to bend over. Its very discrete walking to and from the beach held // to the dectector. I much agree with Capt JP to many people with to much time on there hands. Unfortunetly they can only make it worse for us over time and not better.imho Fill the holes and be descrete as possible. The old respect rules of T-hing. Just my humble opinion and hope this helps.----Cage

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Xterra 705, Surf PI DF
Get yourself a Whites Surf PI DF and you will have a target to dig that deep. Of course water is always going to impede your progress. Just dig fast and scan your piles quickly. Fisheyes advice on having a buddy with a shovel should be taken as well.

beachboy

Bronze Member
May 26, 2008
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
The area that I am digging these days is all gravel, so I need to use a shovel....there is all rocks under the sand, I have to use a shovel or I'll ruin my scoop. The sand is all been taken away....

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
This maybe an idea for a strong folding shovel/pick for the beach...

german_shovel.jpg

It locks-up better than any I've used... you can wear it on your belt with the leather holster.
A google search under "German Folding Shovel" should locate one. The price will range between $10 & $20.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I knew a guy who hunted Daytona and New Symrna Beach and all Charlie ever used was a long handled shovel. He put one of those screw in hooks you find at a Hardware Store so he could hook the shovel to his belt and drag it behind him as he hunted. That was his trademark when he hunted the beach. Haven't seen him in several years so I guess he passed on. He showed me a ring he dug out of the wet sand that was valued at $17,500., :o he found at Daytona and he dug it with that shovel.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lightweight -- "Fiskars Fibercomp Trowel" .. Home Depot, Garden Department (Picked Up Yesterday) -- About $1.00 -- Pop cap off end and insert (2 foot lenght) 1/2 inch Sched 40 PVC Pipe Into Handle.. Use 45 Degree Coupler At Top (Somewhat Of A Handle) and Insert Original Handle Plug In Top Extention -- can not dig to China, but works for me.
Cut Down Old Heavy Duty "Foldup Lawn Chair Bag" For Mini-Tool Carrier On Beach (if you want to disguise it)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread