First time out with excal 1000

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hello everybody,

about one year ago I got my first metal detector, an ACE 250. With the saved up clad I found with it on the beach I bought a used Tiger Shark for water hunting. I did very well in fresh water with it but on the beaches of the Baltic Sea I just couldn't get it stable, even in the salt water mode. All I know about metaldetecting I learned by trial and error but the most valuable knowledge I gained as a long time lurker here on this forum, many Thanks to all of you! Well, for last christmas I got myself a used Excalibur 1000 but due to the very cold winter wasn't able to go out and try it. When I checked the webcams of my favourite beach yesterday it looked like it finally might just be possible- so today I went there and gave it a go. The Excal takes some time getting used to but I think I learned quite a lot this morning, only found a 1 Euro coin though (1,50 U$) in the wet sand, the water is still too cold and my drysuit is still in for repairs. Around noon I was quite tired and took the excal and scoop back to the car but the day was nice and I didn't want to go home yet so I took the ACE 250 I had in the car for another spin in the dry sand. Within 2 minutes I found the first 2 Euro coin ( 3 U$) and 10 minutes later a nice gold ring with a small diamond (at least I hope it's real). Within 2 hours I found a total of 9,50 Euros, a Matchbox toy car, two little padlocks, a broken key, a tiny junk kids ring and a silver ring. I was quite happy with what I got, it's still winter and not many people on the beach, half of the beach is still covered in snow and ice. During the summer I use to find here between 15 and 25 Euros per hour plus the occasional silver ring, I think I'm the only one to ever detect this beach.
Thanks for looking, sorry for the pics quality (or lack thereof). HH

Attachments

• P270210_16 a.JPG
    P270210_16 a.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 467
  • PICT2174 a.JPG
    PICT2174 a.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Thats a great start...especially considering its not the beach season.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds....Why did you switch from the Excal to ACE to hunt the dry sand, with the Excal you would still have the advantage of the iron nulling feature.......

Did you set the Excal for No discrimination?

Look forward to more posts of your finds.................

OP
OP
wrecker

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Thanks for the replies and the positive reenforcement! The Excal has quite a learning curve (so everybody says) and I was hunting in All Metal switching to Disc whenever I got a signal. There is quite a lot of trash on this beach. When hunting in Disc I find the buzzing threshold sound after detecting iron pretty anoying. And it goes very deep, I found out that I need a bigger scoop with more holes. The one I have is homemade (see foto below) and was OK to use in the water with my Tiger Shark, for the wet sand and the Excals depth I'll make a new one soon. So after hunting with the Excal for 3-4 hours I felt tired, although I mount it hanging around my chest. The day was nice and calm, I didn't want to go home yet and knew I would find enough clad to recover my parking expenses with the lightweight ACE quickly as I'm familiar with the sounds and my little handscoop will do for the ACEs depth in the dry sand where all the clad is. Hopefully someday I learn the Excal as well as I know my ACE and be just as successful with it but there's no rush to learn it- it's supposed to be fun, not work. I'm very comfortable (and pretty successful) with the ACE in the dry sand, I want to use the Excal in the water mainly once it warms up. I read the "Golden Olde", watched the youtube videos of Old Beach Nut, got and read CJCs book so I'm on my way I guess. Thanks for the comments, happy hunting everybody!

Attachments

• P280210_15 a.JPG
    P280210_15 a.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 343

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GOOD job You gonna love the Excal,,,, I had 2 . I don't water hunt anymore due to a Shark encounter last year so I use the next best thing, Sov GT . I Stay in the wet, shin deep ,, wet sand and the dry ,,,good luck Guzz1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread