Stealth Scoop vs. Diamond Head?

RTbar

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
I'm currently using a Dual Field with the RTG 5" monster scoop w/ grab handle. It's solidly built, but is too small for water hunting, plus the angle of the back is not optimal placement to push down on. I've been looking at a bunch of scoops and I can't decide between these two.

The diamond head looks a little sturdier built, and I trust the fiberglass handle more than wood, but It appears that the scoop is smaller in width than the Stealth. I like the foot pad on the Stealth, plus they say they will replace the handle if anything happens to it. I've heard lots of good things about both of them, can anyone chime in with some opinions? Thanks.

Upvote 0

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Yeah, I like the look of the stealth but wish it had an angled handle...then it would be so much better.
I don't think you can go wrong with the RTG scoops...looks like that's what I'm gonna get.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
I find that the Diamond Head scoop.....being that it is attached to a fiberglass handle.....the heavy stainless head of the scoop will bend out the rivets that attach it to the handle and it gets "wobbly" after a while....I have seen it on 2 of them that had been in use for a while already. The one piece RTG scoops Stainless steel withe 6+ inch diameter buckets would be my choice......the next choice would be the Aluminum RTG scoops (same diameter)....I have never used the Sunspot....they look interesting....I just have no experience with one....HH....Brian

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many scoops so far and love the Sunspot. Many scoops either don't have enough holes to drain all the sand quickly before you bring it to the surface or if you let go of it in the water it falls over an ya gotta fish for the handle again. With the Sunspot the wood handle floats it upright and I have never broken one. Even if you do, the handles can be found at any good hardware or building store. They can be attached by anyone owning a wrench.

The Stealth is made in two sizes.

Attachments

• Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,666
  • Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,370

astro-nut

Sep 12, 2008
southwest fla
Detector(s) used
whites spectra, dual field, beachhunter300, minelab quattro
I just ordered the scoop from sunspot i should get it later on this week and will give a report on it as soon as i use it. spring break is here i about two weeks hope the weather warms up

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still perfer the Beach Brute II, it is the largest of the commercial made scoops I have found so far with 8.5 inch mouth, 12 inches deep, and 6 inches high, it has the perfect angled handle for the perfect angle to start the dig, and it only weighs 4.9 pounds compared to almost twice that weight for the 8 inch stainless steel model, and the Beach Brute is made by RTG......

With the addition of the stainless steel lip like MT Pockets put on his it is perfect....... :icon_thumright: I will be adding the SS lip to mine Friday......

OP
OP
R

RTbar

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
Treasure_Hunter said:
I still perfer the Beach Brute II, it is the largest of the commercial made scoops I have found so far with 8.5 inch mouth, 12 inches deep, and 6 inches high, it has the perfect angled handle for the perfect angle to start the dig, and it only weighs 4.9 pounds compared to almost twice that weight for the 8 inch stainless steel model, and the Beach Brute is made by RTG......

With the addition of the stainless steel lip like MT Pockets put on his it is perfect....... :icon_thumright: I will be adding the SS lip to mine Friday......

I was thinking about this one too, it would be nice to have a light scoop with a huge mouth. With a SS lip and a grab handle this could be the one. Do you have any pics of yours? I want to get a clearer view of the back

EZrider said:
Toro oro from pro scoops is what ive been using. Seem to be the best of everything.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,158528.msg1155096/topicseen.html#msg1155096

This one looks good and light, but how comfortable is it to step on? The angle of the pad doesn't look too much different than the Riley's I'm using now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTbar said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

I was thinking about this one too, it would be nice to have a light scoop with a huge mouth. With a SS lip and a grab handle this could be the one. Do you have any pics of yours? I want to get a clearer view of the back

EZrider said:
Toro oro from pro scoops is what ive been using. Seem to be the best of everything.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,158528.msg1155096/topicseen.html#msg1155096

This one looks good and light, but how comfortable is it to step on? The angle of the pad doesn't look too much different than the Riley's I'm using now.

Here is a picture of the back of a Beach Brute II
BeachBruteIIShoop.jpg

Here is the scoop from Kellyco page...
beachbrute-1-1.jpg

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
TreasureHunter,
What kind of shaft is that on your excal? Is it easier to swing than the stock shaft? I like the way it looks, wouldn't mind getting one of those. Thanks and good hunting. John

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Sandman. I have the smaller Stealth and I just love this thing. At first I was concerned about the wooden handle, but when I opened the box and saw it, I was convinced. This thing is as sturdy as a baseball bat, and no chance of breaking this thing, and I love the fact that it has a straight handle, 90 degrees to the basket. I've been used to using scoops with handles at an angle for years and I thought they were a pain to work with as you had to reach out too far. This set up makes scooping in the water a breeze and if you drop it, it floats. It beats all others that I've used in the past.

Good luck making your choice and Happy Hunting!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasDigger1 said:
TreasureHunter,
What kind of shaft is that on your excal? Is it easier to swing than the stock shaft? I like the way it looks, wouldn't mind getting one of those. Thanks and good hunting. John

TD, that is not my Excal, it is one of my hunting partners, MT Pockets Excal. I do have 2 Excals with the same kind of shaft, they are custom made aluminum straight shafts using 7/8 inch aluminum tube. Only difference from one in picture is my primary Excal has a WOT coil spliced onto it, and the other is my backup Excal with stock coil, I'm looking for a Sunray S-12 coil for it. I also have a custom waterproofed Sovereign GT for use in the surf and it has a WOT coil on it as well.....

A balanced straight shaft is 10 times easier to swing Vs the stock S shaft.

Mat in MA said:
I have to agree with Sandman. I have the smaller Stealth and I just love this thing. At first I was concerned about the wooden handle, but when I opened the box and saw it, I was convinced. This thing is as sturdy as a baseball bat, and no chance of breaking this thing, and I love the fact that it has a straight handle, 90 degrees to the basket. I've been used to using scoops with handles at an angle for years and I thought they were a pain to work with as you had to reach out too far. This set up makes scooping in the water a breeze and if you drop it, it floats. It beats all others that I've used in the past.

Good luck making your choice and Happy Hunting!!!

Mat that is one of things I don't like about it. I prefer the S-angle handle of the Beach Brute over the 90 degree shaft. You have to lean it over too far to get a good bite in the sand with the straight handle in my opinion. .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my Beach Arsenal... I did forget and leave off my back up scoop. RTG PRO Aluminum 6" Water Scoop with stainless steel lip and long handle..

DSCF2034.jpg

Left to right Sovereign GT with SEF 15X18 Butterfly coil, Stock Minelab Excal 1000, Waterproofed Sovereign GT with WOT coil, Minelab Excalibur With WOT coil

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Treasure_Hunter said:

Center scoop is 9 1/2 in wide but what I like is the handled FLOAT

Attachments

• 3 scoops 3.jpg
    3 scoops 3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,397

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9.5 wide is very nice... :icon_thumright: My problem is I hate the 90 degree angle handles, and the fact they are so off balance when I'm resting them on my shoulder. Just a personal preference on my part is all.............

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTbar said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

EZrider said:

This is with the handle vertical.

2010_0102SCOOP0001-1.jpg

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I don't get any twist as I change out all the handles. The only round part is the top 12 inches and I don't grab it there. I convert wheelbarrow handles from Ace Hardware ($12.00) I square them up on table saw and then run them through a 3/4 round over bit on the router table. They are very sturdy, cheap and they FLOAT so when one slips off the snap I can see it behind me in the water. The only scoop I carry is the smaller Sun Spot that I use when doing the wet. Otherwise they are tethered and dragged behind me in the water till needed

OP
OP
R

RTbar

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
I decided to get the Stealth scoop, and it came in the mail today. This thing is HUGE! I'm talking like 3 times the size of the RTG 5" that I was using. It seems like it's going to cut my digging time in half. I haven't used it yet, but I'm very impressed with the build quality... I just need my anderson straight shaft to come in for the DF and I'll be all set.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
I also have a RTG 6' scoop that i love to dig with and purchased the prohandle and i love that thing,while im detecting the beach i adjust the prohandle so i can drag my scoop behind me,And in the water that Prohandle makes lifting the scoop up alot easier,And i have the shoulder harness connected to my excall so i cal let go of the detector and use both hands on the scoop.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, I use the harness, have a Beach Brute II with stainless steel lip and pro handle on it.....

As far as I am concerned the harness is worth it's weight in gold for how much more comfortable it makes hunting, I have been using harness for 3 years now. I now use an Excal with WOT coil in the water, can't beat having the harness and being able to let go of the detecror and have it hang right by your side........

Pro Handle is the best add on handle I have seen in 4 years of water hunting...............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread