Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of about a dozen detectors purchased used off ebay and these forums only 2 or 3 had no serious undeclared issues.

I just reached number 13 today. A Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500....read the ad and look at the photo.

"UP FOR BID GARRETT SEA HUNTER 500 XL PULSE

THIS DETECTOR IS IN GOOD SHAPE BUT NEEDS A

NEW BATTERY IT COME WITH THIS LARGE 13" COIL

HEADPHONE THAT ARE IN GOOD SHAPE ALSO A

110 WALL CHARGER ALL YOU NEED IS A BATTERY

AN YOUR ALL SET TO FIND GOLD RINGS AN COINS

SHIPS LOWER 48 US"

Attachments

• Garrett_Case.jpg
    Garrett_Case.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 824
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
GibH said:
sandsifter said:
Could it have been damaged in shipping? A friend of mine shipped a rifle in for repair, when it came back UPS the stock was broken they ran over it with a fork lift

I don't think that's what happened. If you look at the auction, the pictures seem to avoid an angle that could show where it's cracked.

You are correct. The detector was in a large box fully padded and there was no damage to the box.

I've also learned the electronics are dead as well.

What I think happened is it leaked and damaged the inside. The seller probably discovered it wasn't worth fixing so decided to dump it off on ebay.

I've written repeatedly to the seller both via PM's and emails and he doesn't respond so I turned it over to Paypal for a full refund.

I don't wish to overreact, but, in the future unless I strongly believe the seller is honest I won't buy another used machine.

Most likely I'll get a refund of the money I paid the seller but probably I lose the money it will cost me in postage to return this item. That cost won't be low due to having to send it via tracking requiring a signature to prove to Paypal it was returned.

So, with all the stress crap I'll lose probably $20.

Buyers beware!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MB what was the sellers user name so we can be sure to avoid him.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:

I'll PM that to you. The seller has 100% positive feedback with only one neutral. But the comment made by that one neutral is interesting.

The vast majority of buyers won't leave negative feedback. I understand ebay has returned to allowing sellers to post negative feedback so this will never change.

Badger

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was a DFX 300 off E-Bay it was just under 1 year old and perfect still had warranty transferable not a mark on it along with all the accessories needed, it was buy now for 800.00 i couldn't be more pleased .Good Luck Jim

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

I'll PM that to you. The seller has 100% positive feedback with only one neutral. But the comment made by that one neutral is interesting.

The vast majority of buyers won't leave negative feedback. I understand ebay has returned to allowing sellers to post negative feedback so this will never change.

Badger

Appreciate the info, if I get screw on a paypal deal I will leave negative feedback, only been screwed once 9 years ago on a DVD that never arrived so I have been lucky..

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Deepdiger60 said:
My first detector was a DFX 300 off E-Bay it was just under 1 year old and perfect still had warranty transferable not a mark on it along with all the accessories needed, it was buy now for 800.00 i couldn't be more pleased .Good Luck Jim

Yes, most people are honest. I've gotten good detector deals on ebay too.

But I've been taken about 7 or 8 times since 2001. Back before the Paypal system got setup I totally lost my money. When Paypal got organized to where it is today I started to get refunds so my losses were limited.

Back about 6 years ago I paid an ebayer down in Arizona $125 for an "original Civil War book illustration watercolor" that turned out to be a machine made modern fake worth maybe $10. I also got burned on another painting losing nearly $150 on that one.

Since the early 20th century China has been faking nearly everything. The market is flooded with fake coinage of all types, "shipwreck" items, "antiques" of all types, paintings, etc., etc., you name it! Watch Antiques Roadshow and you'll see a few of these things shown sometimes but they see thousands of these items on a constant basis. I've been into some American antique shops that looked more like a store in China.

One appraiser for Antiques Roadshow said in one program that some fakes are so good the only way to find them out is by ex-ray and other high tech methods. Not even an expert attributor can tell the difference simply by looking at the item.

Well, I'm getting way off subject here but as for ebay things have improved for those who pay with Paypal and follow their rules.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
Michigan Badger said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Badger

Appreciate the info, if I get screw on a paypal deal I will leave negative feedback, only been screwed once 9 years ago on a DVD that never arrived so I have been lucky..

You have done extremely well.

To date I've lost about $1000 (never refunded) since 2001 on ebay.

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your problem. This is why I don't put any of my detectors on eBay. I try to sell them through the forums where knowledgeable people who use these detectors have first chance at them, or I go through my own website where there is a longer description and photos of the actual items I have for sale. Everything I sell is in excellent condition and have never had any complaints from people who have purchased from me.

PM me if you would like the web address of my items for sale.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
That's why I went with new on such an expensive machine,can't afford to be burned on the first one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my first used Excal off of Ebay for $800, but seller lived in Florida 120 miles away, I could knock on his door if I got screwed....I would be very reluctant to buy high dollar detector off of EBay if seller lived across country, but still can't say I wouldn't depending on the circumstanses.....Majority of sellers are honest....

My preference is still to buy off the "for sale boards" where people have reputations......I have bought 7 off the boards, all good.... :icon_thumright:

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
I WOULD GOGGLE THE PERSON NAME. GPS HIS LOCATION OF HIS HOUSE. THEN CALL IT A A## WHIPPEN DAY. THATS PUR SICK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions