detecting cozumel

antlr-king

Jan 14, 2010
melbourne,fl
Detector(s) used
cobra beach magnet
i dont know if you can or not. i am going to cozumel next week myself. when are you going? i am planning on bring the detector. i will be in grand caymans and cozumel from 3/8 to 3/12. i will swing till some one say stop...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ya I was on Cozumel a couple years ago. I stayed at the Cantarel. Wend diving off the beach off the El Presidente. Saw military guys with a confiscated speargun and a diver in handcuffs. No metal detecting allowed there!

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
ASK YOU TRAVEL AGENT .
sflsweeper said:
Has anyone detected cozumel? I am going soon and do not know if it is ok or any good. I am thinking it may be a great experience but just wondering if any of you have gone there detecting yet.

gus

Oct 15, 2004
I have been on and off detecting on Cozumel for quite a few years. Though all beaches are officially public some of the resorts make it very hard to get onto the beach. You might want to look into some of the beach clubs on the south end of the island (San Francisco beach). I always try and stay low key and not make a show of finding something. Only been chased off a few times. I also believe there are a few other locals out there so don't expect virgin beaches. By the way I only work in the water, snorkeling.

Old Diver

Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gus, I'll be in Cozumel this coming May. Been diving down there for over 20 years. Now I'm slowing down with the diving and want to do some metal detecting. I saw on an earlier thread where a guy named Casper displayed a lot of coins he had found. How was he able to take that horde of coins back with him? Not since the wreck of the Matanzeros have I seen so many coins. Thank You.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attbbbachment.jpg my Cozumel trip - all water finds

gus

Oct 15, 2004
coins are current mexican pesos. Question is how do you spend them? Matanceros coins? Never heard many coins came from that site.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coins are current mexican pesos. Question is how do you spend them? Matanceros coins? Never heard many coins came from that site.

in my pic - coins are separated into separate piles - I have the newer stuff - US stuff - other countries stuff and old stuff (I hit a few spots that had large older type pesos from the 60's-70s)
I only detected like 4 days on that trip

I don't spend any of my foreign stuff - just thro it in jars

Old Diver

Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From his book " Always Another Adventure " Robert Marx says they retrieved a total of 12 coins; 2 brass Maravedis spanish coins, 2 silver coins, 3 silver Spanish coins, 2 gold Spanish coins and 3 silver Spanish coins. The complete haul is described on page 212 in his book. It was mostly trinkets. But there were 4 large metal chests that were never recovered and only seen once by Marx himself. If you've ever been over there you know how rough the water usually is, particularly the closer you get to shore. According to Marx, the Matanzeros was around 100 yards from shore.

Years ago I dove on the wreck of a Spanish Nau located on the North East coast of Cozumel in 19 feet of water.We were probably 150 yards or so from shore. The current and constant back and forth tidal action gave us all a case of the queasies. There were 9 cannons lying on the sand and stuck in coral heads. They were 8 to 10 feet long. We found 2 cannon balls, some charred pieces of wood and one silver Real coin. Looked like a piece of 4 to me. It was very tarnished. When we got back on the boat, Felipe cleaned it up and there was the date 1720. The coin looked to be in excellent shape.

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there several years ago and dove on a old Spanish ship it was pretty all gone but the old cannons were still there. Didnt have a MD than Always wanted to go back with one

Old Diver

Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there several years ago and dove on a old Spanish ship it was pretty all gone but the old cannons were still there. Didnt have a MD than Always wanted to go back with one

I have logged over 150 dives on the reefs around Cozumel. My favorite, for its majesty, is Punta Sur Cathedral. I know Dave Dillehay and Aldora. I have dived with them in the past. I dove mostly with Ricardo Madrigal and Careyitos Divers. I love Cozumel. This May will be trip number 30. I'd like to go back to the old wreck site too and try to get info from the cannons that would help me to identify the wreck on the north east coast. I think I already know the name of the ship based on info I gained from my one and only trip there.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to Isla Mujeres when i was there, snorkled some but found no mujeres

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper is the master..... here is a Video of my Finds just this last October, enjoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread