Two questions about my Surfmaster PI

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This spring will be the first time I've ever used a water machine so I'm a newbie at that. I want to send my PI off to Surfmaster Bill for modification. My question is should I learn the machine first? Will having it modified make it harder for me to learn to use it? Secondly, I know it's a salt water machine, that's why I got it. I live a half mile from the sound but I'm going to a spot in PA. this summer with lots of lakes, creeks, tubing areas etc. Will it work okay in these fresh water areas? Thanks Rich.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had a machine modified by Bill so I can't comment on how it will work. I would think if you learned it and then it was modified it would work differently. As for using the PI in fresh water I can tell you that you will get frustrated with all the targets you will consider trash. Iron takes a long time to rust away in fresh water and the PI will find it at great depths. You can use this depth at the salt shore where sand buries things. Most guys like VLF's disc abilities in fresh water.

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really doesn't make any difference, because what Mr. Bill is going to do will not affect how you learn/use this machine. I too have a Surfmaster PI from Mr. Bill and it works really great. His adjustment will allow you to get smaller pieces of gold which is a good thing. Enjoy your machine and Happy Hunting!!!

astro-nut

Sep 12, 2008
southwest fla
Detector(s) used
whites spectra, dual field, beachhunter300, minelab quattro
get clive clynick's book pulse power. you wont be sorry, I was in the beach yesterday with my dual field and got intoo the surf with my machine there were lots of tones and deep but the water was so rough and cold all i was able to get was a cold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread