Inventive (long)

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
My plans for this morning were to go out and do some more hunting at the soccer fields. I haven’t been doing very well out there but at least I was getting out. I got up this morning put my head outside and my plans changed. Brrrrr it was COLD outside. I mean really cold (for us in Florida). So I decided to take a look at my dive boots and see what I could do to get them ready after all I am hoping to get this air boot off my foot this coming Monday and I can get back out there and start hunting around the water. Still too cold for me to get IN the water but I could hunt the wet sand.

Anyway…. I think I’ve done a bad thing. No one ever told me how to take care of dive boots. I didn't think you had to do anything with them. The zipper is plastic so it never occurred to me to do anything with it. I mean it’s not like its going to corrode. WRONG. I haven’t looked at these boots for almost 3 months and the zipper was stuck or frozen. I had a heck of a time getting it to move. Finally I worked it free and I put some of that silicone grease I bought for the gasket on my control box on the zipper and worked that in. That is what “freed” it and now it slides pretty easy. I hope I haven’t messed it up more by using that stuff but I couldn’t think of anything else to use at the moment.

Then…. The zipper pull broke last summer and as you can guess I am not real inventive at fixing things. Without that pull on the zipper I couldn’t get it to move. I took them to a shoe repair place but they said they didn’t work on dive boots because it was hard to sew them. I didn’t want them to “sew” anything just fix the zipper pull. They said they didn’t do that.

What to do – what to do?

So I got a couple key rings and put one on each boot.

zipper1.jpg

Now those worked real well – for a while. About my third time out in the water with those on there they got caught on each other as I was walking and I tripped and almost fell over in chest deep water. That little trip bent them real bad and I couldn’t use that idea. Hmmmmm

Next I took some embroidery thread. Now you guys don’t know but when you use that stuff it has a lot of threads and you peel away what you want to use to sew with. I used it whole but also tripled it by braiding it. I ran that threw the zipper and then tied it off. That has been working for me but with the salt water I knew that wasn’t going to last very long. It has already started to fray and will snap soon.

Next I thought well …. How about using monofilament fishing line? That goes in salt water. I had some 50 lb test and tried to use three pieces and sort of braided them together and made a pull with that. The problem there was tying it off. I tried using a lighter to kind of fuse it together but really made a mess of that!! So that didn’t work.

What next? I thought why couldn’t I use a plastic ties? The kind the police use in place of handcuffs. LOL OK so not those - but similar, small ones. The ones I have are 4” and really aren’t quite long enough but at the moment it’s working.

zipper2.jpg

If you guys can come up with better ideas – and I’m sure some of you will - let me know. :wink:

Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little WD-40 works miracles ;D Good luck Jim

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I didn't know you hurt your foot. I'm sorry to hear that. What did you do?
I'm over our cold weather... don't the weather Gods know its spring break time and we need warm/hot weather or treasure hunting will stink.
I have had several pairs of dive booties seaze up and I do whatever it takes to get them free. The silicon should be fine. I use zip ties just like you did and they work great.
Good luck hunting and I hope your foot feels better.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Hangingfor8 said:
I didn't know you hurt your foot. I'm sorry to hear that. What did you do?

Tore the achilles tendon and he is trying to get it to heal on its own by immobilizing it for a couple of months. Hopefully that will do the trick and I won't need surgery but.. have to wait and see.

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Most scuba divers went with their dive booties through what you described and end up just like you with the zip ties. If you find the ones made from black plastic instead of the transparent/whitish ones, they last a bit longer. Myself I used monofilament fishing line a couple of times with acceptable results. WD 40 helps to get the stuck zipper moving again, or silicone is just fine.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
MT Pockets said:
Sand is a PITA when it come to Dive boots... You need to constantly clean them each time you leave the water. running them under fresh water/ while working the zipper
to be sure all of the sand is out from it otherwise the zipper will freeze up on ya.

NOW YOU TELL ME! ::) LOL

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, never leave the zipper all the way up, or down, but rather in the middle, that way you can work it both directions if it becomes frozen.. If you leave it sipped all the way up or down then you can only ull it one direction, and it is hard to break free when stuck then....

Also as Deepdiger60 said, WD-40 is breat to use.....

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the time our dive booties zippers break usally the rest of the bootie is so worn out and full of holes rips and tears we just throw them away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread