drill size to make holes in a steel cooks laddle for a scoop?

A

abrakdabra

drill size to make holes in a steel cook's laddle for a scoop?

I'm waiting for a real sand scoop to arrive in the mail from Kellyco. While I was downtown today a kitchen supply store had some cook's laddles and strainers on display on a rack on the sidewalk. I thought why can't I just drill out the laddle cup? It's got a long steel handle riveted on and if the rivets go I can just get it welded on. In the meantime could you suggest drill size to make holes in this steel cook's laddle to make a sand scoop? ;D

Upvote 0

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: drill size to make holes in a steel cook's laddle for a scoop?

3/8" would probably be best, but no bigger than 5/16". You better be digging in real soft sand with that, but I bet you will get blisters in no time. The handle and leverage problem, leaves alot to be desired. good luck, John

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

make sure that a dime or a one dollar gold coin won't slip through the holes and a restaurant supply store will sell you ladles that already have the holes in them made out of stainless steel. much better would be a heavy duty ice machine scoop with holes like they have in the larger motels. exanimo, ss

cpt_peewee

Jan 22, 2004
LA (Lower Arkansas)

Half inch would be my first choice, but 5/16 would still be small enough to prevent a dime-sized coin from falling through. A half-reale cob I have would probably go through though.
HH
PW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread