Ill be in Destin/Seagrove Beach area beginning Saturday

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
Re: I'll be in Destin/Seagrove Beach area beginning Saturday

good luck. The cuts should be wicked deep on Monday after the Red Flag wind whipping we took all weekend. Tuesday and Wednesday should be emerald green glass like we're known for. We are reclaimed beaches, so that stinks. We had a terrible tourist spring and summer last year. If I didn't have one in school, I'd be down there to pester you ! Caryl - navarre Beach

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wish I were able to meet up with you... but my girlfriend will be flying in from Springfield, MO this Thursday. I think you're still about 6-1/2 hours north of me (Saint Petersburg) :-\ Too bad you can't make it down to Anna Maria Island on Saturday. A BUNCH of T-Net folks are meeting together to detect on the beach and have dinner that evening... myself, my girlfriend, Deb (cntrydncr1), one of Deb's non-TNet friends Steve, Kelly (K*E*L*L*Y), Christof (Silver Surfer), and Ron (gold eye) & his family. It should be a super fun time!! I think we're all meeting up at 2pm on Saturday.
Anyway, since Hannah will be in town for Spring Break until the 29th, I doubt I'll be doing a whole lot of detecting. We're gonna hit up Disney World, the Florida Aquarium, and probably the beach the rest of the time she's here. How long are you down for?

Bran <><

OP
OP
M

moholedigger

Mar 15, 2008
Mexico, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

We were going to leave EARLY Saturday, but after that 16 HOUR drive down, we've decided to leave Friday, stay in Nashville and finish the drive on Saturday. That sucks. Sounds like your going to have a good time. Enjoy and Happy Hunting.

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008

Destin this weekend will be a mess. THE busy times for breakers is this weekend and the next. I have general shopping to do down there, and if I don't get to it today or tomorrow, it will wait until the second weekend in April. Hope you are having fun. Sorry about the rain today. Should clear up in a couple hours. OC you CAN hunt in the wet, but it's chilly out today too.

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X

moholedigger

Please post how you did, what beaches you hunted

I hope you got gold

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008

Sorry, it's SUNNY and already 55 down at the beach. I'm sure that's where he's already at. Tee hee.....

OP
OP
M

moholedigger

Mar 15, 2008
Mexico, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Long drive back to Missouri just in time for a snow storm. Fortunately it melted off quick and yesterday was near 70 (Florida weather!!!! Apparently I brought some of it back).

Not a lot of finds. Detected three times between an hour and an hour and a half each time. Ended up with 7 quarters, three dimes, a nickel and seven pennies. Also found the bottom rigging (weight and HUGE hook) for a fishing set up.

Plus the usual junk. Seven pop tops, 17 beer cans (including one unopened Natty Light) and a couple of screw tops.

Was very disappointed in my Whites in that anytime I tried to hit the wet sand, it would just go crazy. Obviously, I need more time on the beach to work on my settings to prevent this next time.

Oh, I also got some great sun from walking the beaches and some great relaxation. I win the lottery, I'll be back as soon as I cash my check. :)

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008

Two of our detectors, one is a whites, does NOT like the salt water mineral content of the wet sand.
At least you got out and got some walking done, AND you got out of Dodge JUST in time! It's nuts here.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will be hitting the same area tomorrow. I will let you know if you were spinning your wheels or if you missed something! I have an edge on you though. I have two machines that love mineralized sand and salt water.

You probably had the sensitivity on your Whites too high. You have to turn the sensitivity down a good bit on them to do well in the wet sand.

Stand by and I will post tomorrow night.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stay off military property Ft. Walton to Destin strip. Try Navarre Beach over to Pensacola if you have time. Some nice beach roads heading east out from Destin, out in the country. Used to ride motorcycles in that area.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heck, there isn't much left of Navarre Beach. Many spots are cut right to the dunes. Ft. Walton Beach has had some serious erosion the past month as well.

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008

Yes, my poor poor beach. I'm on Navarre Beach. Not really GONE, just moved LOL ! Cuts in the reclaimed beach go beyond the dune edge in many places and under cut the steps, IF the steps are even still there. The drop off of walkover 10 was 6 feet on Saturday. Surprised me in the dark!

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X

Moholeddigger - I was hoping to hear you got some gold on your trip down here.

I had some friends come down this past week from Michigan. We went to Navarre Beach on Thursday, Pensacola Beach on Friday, Destin & Ft Walton beach on Saturday and Gulf Shores Alabama on Monday.

I did not think there were that many tourist on the beaches, the most I saw were at Ft Walton, near the Gulfarium.

There were three of us with detectors, Thursday one of my friend found a 10K white gold with a big CZ at Navarre Beach, Friday I found a thin silver chain and a silver charm. They were about a foot apart and the chain was not broken. Monday got a silver ring. Each day we got 2 to 4 dollars in change each.

Pensacola Beach on the quiet water side, they bought in some really nasty sand. Added is about 12 to 18 inches and it is full of shells and trash, old beer cans, old pull rings and just general junk metal. last year i would always get at least a couples dollars in change and a ring once in a while from this area .. now I don't think I will be going there as much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread