Help - Sea Hunter Mark II Search Coil Going Bad

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
What are the symptoms that make you think the coil is bad? Mine has been used nearly every day for the last three years with only a set of headphones needing to be replaced as the rubber insulation on the wire had deteriorated at a flex point.

OP
OP
B

billlybob

Greenie
Dec 21, 2008
I would hear a constant tone through the earphones even when I waved metal objects under the coil (i.e. metal did not register).

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you taken off the coil cover to clean out the black sand that builds up in there?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Which coil are U using? The stock 8 or the optional 10 x 14 DD or concentric?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most coils have coil covers on and black sand finds a way inside to mess up the operation. If you aren't using a cover you may have worn the plastic off an edge to let in saltwater. Doesn't matter if it is fresh or salt, they both stop it from operation. If not, it will have to be sent in if you can not find another guy with a coil you can swap out to see if that is it.

D

digum smacks

if im not mistaken they dont have coil covers"that come stock".my infinium i couldnt get a coil cover at that time i too went through 2 coils but the reason was sand eats through the bottom quickly,and water gets into the coil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion2 said:
if im not mistaken they dont have coil covers"that come stock".my infinium i couldnt get a coil cover at that time i too went through 2 coils but the reason was sand eats through the bottom quickly,and water gets into the coil.

If your detector is out of warranty you can coat the coil with Marine Epoxy.

OP
OP
B

billlybob

Greenie
Dec 21, 2008
Sandman said:
snooksion2 said:

If your detector is out of warranty you can coat the coil with Marine Epoxy.

Sorry for the late response and thanks for your replies. I do not use a coil cover and this happened to my 8" and 10". Marine Epoxy sounds like a good idea. I am hesitant though - Will Marine Epoxy effect the coil at all?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will not affect the coil's operation but will protect it from wear to the surface. If detectors are under warranty the companys say this voids the warranty. Should void the warranty on the coil only and not the whole detector. With the Sea Hunter you can change coils anyway. Coils cost way more than covers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread