What do you want in a water beach scoop.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you want to see in a water beach scoop. This is different than the dry sand sifters which work well with a wire mesh. Water scoops tend to be larger due to you need to get it out quickly or the waves will cover the hole again so it takes more scoops.

Thanks to all that post.

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
As many gold rings as possible! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
I mainly search at salt water beaches in the wet sand just above the water line to about knee deep. Many times I'm not in deep enough water to have the waves and incoming water wash thru my scoop to get rid of the sand. So I usually try to dump it out and spread it around with my foot. However, since my scoop is a constant 6" diameter and fairly deep, the wet sand sticks to the inside of the scoop and is very tough to get out. I would think that the open top design like the Stealth has would probably be better. However, in deeper water, I'm not sure that the open top would be good.

Glenn

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i myself think s/s is the way to go. the sand goes thru the scoop easier than alum.its like your bullrake.the steel keeps like all the mud in the rake, but when you have a s/s rake the mud get slides right thru. theirs a big difference.yes their heavy, but alum you can bend the tip,they get all pitted inside which holdes the sand. the s/s you will never have to replace. just my two cents

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Weight, Durability, Functionable Design, Price

Funny you would post this as I was ready to do it on another forum, because I meet this past weekend with a design engineer on this subject. He had came up with a few new designs that he had models of and asked what I thought. Both were light, But one was very. Both had Lots of Holes, fiberglass handles, 6.5 inch x 12 inch buckets laser cut, all tig welded, very comfortable angle on the back to dig with, one was SS, the lighter of the two he would not say. His question was, would I pay extra for the less weight and extra work that went into it. {no price was discusted} With this I said I would like to field test both, and see if it is worth it {one was 14 gauge SS at less then 5 lbs., the other was less then 4 lbs. and .050 thick}. I took pictures of both but he ask they not be sent out or posted. I loved both, but I'm set for beach scoops, but the weight is a big factor, and I want one I can weld or get fixed without having to send it out. Plus A handle is a big plus. I know what MTP is talking about, every beach is different and requires different tools. I have been looking for a Miller scoop for the Bay and his lower bucket with a bent handle would work great, but I don't think it would be the right design with the fiberglass handle for the bay...... So in order, my priorities are.... Weight, Durability/Functionable Design, and Price...I'll be in OC/MD the 27th & 28th to test, then maybe the Bay a few days later...hope I can do a little video of each.......Joe

D

digum smacks

backhoe

Attachments

• 02 scoops.jpg
    02 scoops.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,484
  • 2scoops.jpg
    2scoops.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,481
  • rscoop.jpg
    rscoop.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,457
  • uscoop.jpg
    uscoop.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,466
D

digum smacks

i got an idea how about a titanium scoop super light super strong might be the best ever and damn expensive anyone thoughts on this one?

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres what I use an to me it works so good I even use it outa water in the volly ball courts an sand tot lots ........then again it could just be the need for a big scoop for big greedy paws ;D

Attachments

• SDC10496.JPG
    SDC10496.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,508
  • SDC10496.JPG
    SDC10496.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,415

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
Then there are times where I need something like this.. with hardware cloth inside :laughing9:

Dang MT you could plow a feild with that bad boy Bro lol :laughing9:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion2 said:
i got an idea how about a titanium scoop super light super strong might be the best ever and damn expensive anyone thoughts on this one?

There was a post on here, gentleman was making titanium scoop, he had a small hand sand scoop out of titanium, but he had a lot in it, a large beach scoop out of titanium would run really expensive...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,303207.0.html

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
snooksion2 said:

as an example the metal for a 14 ga. stainless water scoop might cost approx. $10.00 to $20.00 that exact same scoop made with .050 titanium would cost in the neighborhood of $100 to $200.00. the titanium would be stronger and only weigh about 2/3's of the stainless scoop, but remember that scoop full of bottom is going to be just as heavy regardless of what metal its made of. titanium is not nearly as friendly to work with, for instance it doesn't like to be formed into a 90 deg bend & and if you drill it you better have good bits, the right feed rate or lots of time & cheap bits!

i've seen many complaints about the cost of the better stainless scoops, do you think anyone would pay 2 1/2 to 5 times that cost to carry a scoop thats 1.5 lb's lighter? i don't but i may be wrong.

just my 2 cents worth.

steve

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same scoop as Tank69, Bert gave me a great deal.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I looking for a scoop for the older years, when carrying around a SS scoop of 5 to 6 pounds will be more of a task......where as one Of Titianum {three pounds} will be easier to deal with. I can get the stuff, and got a good man on it right now. Material is about 150..and labor is about the same..so 300 for a life time scoop that weights 3 pounds?? Joe

Attachments

• TITANIUM SHEET.jpg
    TITANIUM SHEET.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,311
  • ti tube.jpg
    ti tube.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,291

ocjeff

Oct 14, 2009
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
excalibur, cz20, v3
sandman, for being in the water the beach brute can't be beat. no good in the dry sand but fantastic when in the water. not to heavy and built well. hh jeff

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
better ergonomics!! someone needs to put some thought into handle design and scoop angle. i have ideas but i gotta learn me some weldin.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ocjeff said:
sandman, for being in the water the beach brute can't be beat. no good in the dry sand but fantastic when in the water. not to heavy and built well. hh jeff

I get by alright with my beachbrute II in the dry sand, I just dont like hunting the dry sand and so I don't do a lot of hunting there. I have only found one good find there, a 1/2 carot diamond ring, all the others were found in the wet sand so that is where I usually hunt....

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to see gold in my water beach scoop.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different types of bottoms really call for different types of scoops to do it best. But we have to learn to adapt to what we have. For water wading I like super strong SS buckets with a lot of dime 5/8" holes to sift sand fast so I can hopefully get the target on the first scoop and also have smaller holes to help catch smaller earrings.

I like a bent handle or a loop in the handle like the old Miller scoop. If the Miller scoop had more holes like the Sunspot and some others I would get one if made out of Titanium for light weight. Heck, we pay lots of cash for detectors and going cheap on the scoop is poor silly thinking. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions