Re: Targets of Opportunity

P

PORTERHUNTER

Hi All I am a newbie here.

I have only been a member at 1 forum since 98 and another one recently.

I found this forum interesting because I changed my lifestyle 7months ago to hiking in the Mountain Range I live in and the beach I live on.

Well now that I have conquered the hiking part I am looking for stuff.

My first ? is the metal detectors.

Do they really work and is there a particular brand in a modest price range that someone can suggest.

I found out the hard way after many storms here on the Oregon Coast to wear gloves when combing the beach as the Ocean has turned up all the bacteria and yes I got Montezuma's revenge.

An aquaintance was lucky enough to find a glass ball the other morning.

I don't get to the beach as often as I would like as it is only accesible for me on my days off after the errands are done.

However as the days grow longer I will have more time to hit the beaches.

Upvote 0

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

PORTERHUNTER,
Welcome to the best damn treasure site on the net! Marc, Jeff, wreckdiver do excellent jobs of keeping us all in line and on task. TREASURE HUNTING and SHARING.
Your questions about detectors will start fistfights and lifelong feuds. Everyone has his or her favorite and they all have unbelievable recovery stories. One of the very best is the Ace 250. This was my second machine and did wonders. It can be bought at one of our sponsors(see top of home page) for around $200. Just about everyone agrees that it is a great beginner's tool. If you move on up in price, just about any of the name companies sells dependable machines in th e$500-$600 range. As the machines get more expensive, they also have more features. Each CAN do a great job, but most of them have a short learning curve before you can trust to find good stuff.
My mistake, when I began, was buying a top-of-the-line machine. I had no background to understand what all the bells and whistles were, nor did I understand what the machine's capabilities were. That said, Minelab, Garrett's, White's all sell fantastic machines in the $1200 range.
Back to your first question:Will a detector work? If you do the research and find a site that has known potential, the machine will work. Too many people think that you turn on the detector and it leads you to tons of hidden gold. (We all wish they worked that way) It's actually the user who leads the detector to the proper place and then the detector does it's job...if you've remembered to put in batteries, ground balance, not wave your hand with watch or ring over the coil, don't wear steel toed boots, stay away from fences and power lines, keep your sense of humor when folks ask you how your weedeater works, when kids swarm you begging for your finds, when idiots come up to you and tell you that metal detecting is illegal or irreverent, when you want to hunt for relics, coins, and do some beach hunting and gold shooting on the same day and find out your machine is built for two but not all four hunts.
It's a wonderful addiction, er, hobby. Glad to see another nut in the institute.

grizzly bare

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to TreasureNet PORTERHUNTER.

I hope you Enjoy The Forum,

And Your Hobby for a LONG time.

JEFF

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Porterhunter, welcome to the Forum. May I suggest going to Kellyco.com for some research on the many makes and models of detector, and they carry most of them. You will most likely come away with more questions. Oh by the way, Minelab detectors are the only way to go.

Happy Hunting

Q

trapper

Mar 22, 2009
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500and Garret SeaHunter MarkII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumleft:Welcom to the forum if I might offer a suggestion as to research on this forum what I do is scan the threads for any good questions that pertain to what I am interested in and read the thread and try the advice when I go out and 99.9 % of the time it is spot on. The folks on here are more than willing to share their expertise and knowledge with us newbies. :headbang:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PORTERHUNTER,

Welcome to TreasureNet.

Yes detectors really do work, but they are still a tool, and like other tools, how good they work depends on how good you learn what they are telling you. You like to hike, look at a detector like a compass, GPS, or map, does a map, compass or GPS work? Yes they do, but only if you learn how to use them....

As far as what to get, there are lots of good detectors in many different brands, first thing you need to decide is how much you want to spend. A modest amount to one person may be $150, to another it may be $700..... Once you know how much you want to invest, then you will a better idea of what to buy.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac

Welcome. Im in Eugene. Was the float your friend found, old? Or, was it one of the new floats that they plant along the coast every year for people to find. My bro-in-law found an old chinese rolling pin style float last year when we were walking on thwe beach. I was soooo close.

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT

Keep in mind if you are reading a lot about the finds from beach hunting, Oregon Beach finds will be much more rare. The water is so cold there, you won't get the traffic the warm water beaches get. Don't let that discourage you though. You happen to live in the state with the most ghost towns in the country (mostly logging camps). Have fun!!

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2

Welcome to your next home away from home, :icon_thumleft:
I find that MINELAB , WHITES, GARRETTS are the best of in the field.
They all do different things , You will find that one works better in wet sand then the others.
And you will find out that the others work better in dry dirt, Thats why a lot of us use more then one .
You need to go to your local treasure hunting store , and talk to him . He will help you find the right one for you. :icon_thumleft:
Plus you can hold them and find the one you like , Do your home work on the different models out there . You will do fine. :wink:
GOOD LUCK TO YOU , OH AND WELCOME TO TREASURENET.................... :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions