Making Low Tide Even Lower

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
If it were possible, would there be any utility in being able to detect out in the water without the water being in the way? You ask: "What the heck kind of question is that?!" Well, as usual, I'm serious. Picture for a moment the water's edge being 1/4 mile more out to sea than it is now. Would that scenario make it any easier to hunt and find targets where the water once was due to the obstacle of water being removed? For example, maybe you could penetrate deeper?, cover more ground in less time?, not worry about bothersome marine life? etc.

If in theory there would be a benefit to removing the water, my idea is to surround myself with, say, a 5' X 5' X 5' sturdy, framed plastic 'box' that would touch the sea floor in, say, 3' or less of calm water. Then, the water inside the 'shelter' would have to be removed (perhaps with a makeshift sort of quiet, portable sump pump) and one could then beach hunt where there was once water. (I think this idea is similar to how bridge builders dig into the sea ground so they can plant the bridge supports.).

So, in theory, at least, is there any benefit to removing the shallow water that you are hunting in?
Would the hassle be worth any advantage(s)?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTF................ :laughing7:

If it weren't for the Plexiglas thing I would think if the water was out a quarter mile from its usual level I would head to high ground to get away from the tsunami.

Are you planning on carrying all this stuff down to the water? Where are you going to get power for the pump? Have you thought about this before posting?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a sort of "cofferdam" approach -- you would have to have some sort of floating item to support the power source and the actual "pump" device --- they build sea walls * and then "pump" them dry so you ideal as such is not a new one but just its size and why -- be forewarned water pressure from the water pressing inward on the walls will put a lot of strain on the "walls" of your unit.

D

digum smacks

its a nice dream but sorry pal it cant be done.well it could if you had say 40 trillion dollars.fantasy land is fun to be in.but what you are saying in size scale 5' square area even if you could get the water out when you dig your hole theres water under that sand and water will seep underneath filling your box.you know this question is so crazy im not even going to go on with all the variables.its nice to dream,and ps say no to drugs.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, to do what you are alluding to, you use two outside rings of interlocking steelplates that form ovals (steel Piles driven into the sand)-- circles etc. and then you pump sand into chamber area before removing water from inner area. This is how LaSalles ship was recovered in Matagorda Bay Texas

I would not deploy anything and attempt to pump out the water without at least finding something short of imaged cannon on bottom. 2-1/2 inch water (trash) pump does not move that much water in an hour.

Plan on building a long pole coil/retriever unit connected to land based detector and shoving it out into the water. That way when you do detect a signal, your auto-deploy sand scoop will hopefully get the item. PS. Use all plastic, fiberglass and nylon, absolutely no metal, (except for coil).

Send Pictures and updates.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overkill Overkill said:
"What the heck kind of question is that?!" Well, as usual, I'm serious. Picture for a moment the water's edge being 1/4 mile more out to sea than it is now. Would that scenario make it any easier to hunt and find targets where the water once was due to the obstacle of water being removed? For example, maybe you could penetrate deeper?, cover more ground in less time?, not worry about bothersome marine life? etc.

So, in theory, at least, is there any benefit to removing the shallow water that you are hunting in?
Would the hassle be worth any advantage(s)?

:icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_scratch: ???

If the water suddenly recedes a 1/4 mile out, Sandman is going to see my fat butt passing him up as I try to find a highrise building inland a couple miles to ride out the Tsunami....

Cost of plexiglass to make a box 5 ft by 5 foot 1/2 inch thick would be over well over $700+, plus sales tax and shipping (high) if not found locally, the box would weigh over 300 pounds, lets drag it into the surf so we can detect 25 sq feet..... :icon_scratch: :dontknow:.

This is even a worse idea then the shark cage idea....All that trouble to detect a 5 foot square with some kind of make shift sump pump ( :laughing9: ) and not a clue there is a single valuable item there, what a waste of time.......We try to be cordial and polite, but no one is ever going to take you serious with these kind of questions....

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
wouldn't just be easier to get like 100 feet of garden hose and duct tape it to a snorkle. Leave the open end on the beach(up past the high tide line because you don't want the tide coming up while you're down there and flooding your snorkle!) Coat your metal detector in shoe goo for water proofing(don't be cheap, dab it on pretty thick!). Now get in there and find yourself some TREASURE! :laughing7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
one can only "draw" air so far down a tube *** in a snokel skin diving air tube the exhaled breath can escape before the fresh air comes in / no co mingling issue --- without the air being "pumped" youthe 100 foot garden hose snorkel is a no go -- the 100 foot hose rig with "pumped" air in a worklible set up is called a "hookah" rig --its a long term use shallow water rig *

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Would anyone like to answer his REAL question....

"maybe you could penetrate deeper?"
(So, what effect does the sea water have on penetration compared to hunting on top of wet sand?)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet sand is already conductive to finding targets, trying to drag a 300+ pound box into the ocean and surf to hunt 25 square feet is not. Problem isn't the water, it's how deep the gold has sank in the sand......

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what kind of question is that! where am i going to put the pump and equiment.. if you thought it thru it would be floating outside the circle with a battery or long cord. you just need a bulldozer to smooth out the ripples in the sand and move a few rock.just bulldoze the sand toward shore so i can detect thru that pile of sand.you could add some springs to the cage to hold it down over the bumps and attach them to your weight belt. am i on the same thought level as you are yet :hello2:. just dont ask for investers. ha ha i think you broke the ice on the bad day of waitting for minelab to get it together.

OP
OP
O

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Special thanks to Ivan Salis, Number 9, and WishfulThinker for taking the time to send thoughtful replies! The box idea is not as important as the primary question: Aren't there more productive targets out in the water under the sand than under the sand on the beach. Is this true or not? If so, wouldn't it make sense to eliminate the main obstacle: namely, 50 degree heavy, cloudy, marine-animal containing water surrounding you for hours at a time.

Nobody responded to my question as to whether one could cover more ground in less time if the water were not there? (First, let's discuss this issue, and then we can work on, understandably, the much larger question as to how to get rid of the water. If you look at the history of metal detecting, you'll see there's been a slow migration from the land out to the water. Fast forward to 2020: we may see people trying various ways to get rid of the water in their way. For reference regarding how some great ideas are first almost always laughed away, please see Wright Brothers, NASA, Martin Luther King, Christopher Columbus - need I go on? :wink: :wink: :sign13: :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overkill Overkill said:
Nobody responded to my question as to whether one could cover more ground in less time if the water were not there? (First, let's discuss this issue, and then we can work on, understandably, the much larger question as to how to get rid of the water. If you look at the history of metal detecting, you'll see there's been a slow migration from the land out to the water. Fast forward to 2020: we may see people trying various ways to get rid of the water in their way. For reference regarding how some great ideas are first almost always laughed away, please see Wright Brothers, NASA, Martin Luther King, Christopher Columbus - need I go on? :wink: :wink: :sign13: :thumbsup:

Water temperature, marine animals, and especially WATER is not the problem, the PROBLEM is the amount sand that is covering the targets, that is the number 1 problem, not the water.

I can easily cover a 1000 square feet in the water with my Minelab Excalibur and the WOT coil in a hour, how much can you cover dragging a 300 pound box in the surf, can you even drag a 300 pound box in the surf...?

Are there more targets under the water? People who go to the beach are not concerned about the tides, they swim and play just as much at high tides as they do at low tides and at low tide the beach that was under water at the last high tide is now just wet sand and accessible with out even getting wet.....Chest deep at high tide is wet sand at low tide......

If you look at the people at the beach, where are the majority of them at?, they are not out in the deep water....They are in several different zones beginning with the dry sand zone, then the towel line, then the wet sand zone, then the water line, then knee deep, then waist deep then chest deep. I bet less then 5 percent of the people ever go in the deep water. If you hunt at low tide chest deep the vast majority of jewelry is between you and the shore, not behind you...

The majority of the good finds I have made have been from chest deep to water line at low tides.....The majority of the swimmers stay in that area, it is only the surfers and a few swimmers who go out deeper and the majority of them are smart enough to not wear jewelry in the water...

Currious, how much actual water hunting have you done?

As far as comparing your idea to the Wright Brothers, NASA, Martin Luther King, Christopher Columbu.....Are you serious? :icon_scratch:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Overkill, I gave you the link to the golden oldies site before. You must not have read a bit of it.

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Sandman, he has already said he doesn't want to take the time to read the Goldenolde, probably one of, if not the most valuable source of information available about metal detecting, written by one of the most experienced and knowledgeable hunters there ever was, Norman Garnush....

"I don't want to go to medical school and read the medical books, can someone just tell be the best way to cut out an appendix? :icon_scratch:

Overkill Overkill said:
Regarding the links members have posted, thank you. But the thing is, my questions are very focused: Instead of wading through 4 hours worth of info. on a link, if someone could just pass on what they learned from a valuable resource, then it saves us all time - correct? It seems that this forum can add to what valuable info. is already out there by communicating briefly what others have learned. So, if you have the time, sure, post a link, or give a quick response (like some have done - thank you), but why the need for a forum if all we had to do was send each other links?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,301593.msg2205358.html#msg2205358

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
first get a sharp clean knife .....................

not it does not save "US all time" -- because we already spent our time learning -- its called "paying yer dues" --- doing what you ask saves only YOU time and stunts your learning ability --however as we all know its all about YOU --and what you want , you do not want to put forth the effort to learn stuff -- like how to do reaseach so you can learn to find good spots for yourself --WHAT YOU ARE BASICALLY SAYING IN EFFECT IS --- I want YOU to tell me all the good info and if possible sites to hunt -- that WE found out thru our hard work learning and research --so YOU can skate by -- and clean up -- oh and btw I'm keeping all I find , not sharing anything with those who "taught" me and most likely not even saying "thank you" too boot --cuz hey --IT IS ALL ABOUT ME AND MY WANTS AND NEEDS RIGHT? ::) :dontknow:

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Overkill, I gave you the link to the golden oldies site before. You must not have read a bit of it.

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/
Sandman thanks to you! I have read the golden oldies! This has improved my hunting skills 1000% :thumbsup: So thanks again for your positive and valuable info! Thanks goes out to all the other members that have provided such great tips and info!

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ivan salis said:
first get a sharp clean knife .....................

not it does not save "US all time" -- because we already spent our time learning -- its called "paying yer dues" --- doing what you ask saves only YOU time and stunts your learning ability --however as we all know its all about YOU --and what you want , you do not want to put forth the effort to learn stuff -- like how to do reaseach so you can learn to find good spots for yourself --WHAT YOU ARE BASICALLY SAYING IN EFFECT IS --- I want YOU to tell me all the good info and if possible sites to hunt -- that WE found out thru our hard work learning and research --so YOU can skate by -- and clean up -- oh and btw I'm keeping all I find , not sharing anything with those who "taught" me and most likely not even saying "thank you" too boot --cuz hey --IT IS ALL ABOUT ME AND MY WANTS AND NEEDS RIGHT? ::) :dontknow:
HaHa, sounds like your describing a bama voter. PMP

P.S. I'll bet he has never had a detector in his hands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread