Building A Better Mousetrap, Brainstorming

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
I have not done much water hunting at all. That's why I'm on this forum.

Thanks for the insight about the sand being the #1 problem. (That helps me to think of another avenue to streamline this process of uncovering targets in the water or sand - siphoning sand through sifters using some kind of vacuum hose)!) I guess this would be similar to way they renourish the beach today. I don't have details, but wouldn't it be neat if we could somehow get rid of the top few inches of sand and search only the remaining sand. In other words, we could try to mimic the effects of a storm. I'm sure others have tried this already in some form or another.

I like to use this forum to brainstorm - to think out loud. I have visited the website Sandman referred me to. Very helpful - thank you. But I can't help but think there MUST be a 'better' way way to extract valuable items from the depths than what methods are currently being used. If the "Golden Oldie" were with us today, wouldn't he agree that the future of metal detecting will look vastly different from the way it looks today. And isn't it fun to try to predict what the next decades might bring in terms of innovative techniques. In my mind, this is the beauty of a forum. Sharing ideas!!! Again, the techniques that will be used by treasure hunters in the year 2020 would likely be laughed at today. And of course, only 1 in 100 ideas discussed today will ever come close to being used in the future. So let's do our best to support and encourage each other. Thanks for taking the time to read and/or reply!

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep thinking about other ways to dig up targets, mean while I will keep digging with my scoop.In a little while you will learn that the scoop is the best way. For while you are thinking about it ,100's of other guy will be digging up targets and you my friend will be digging nothing. I've been huntting for 35 years, scoops are the best way,and scoop make good weapons when someone try to take your booty. Ron Lord , Naples Fla.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Hey Overkill, I think a sand sucker/sifter is on YouTube somewhere? I saw a post on here or another board about it.

People by nature are fast to condemn new ideas. The first thing they say is... "It won't work!"
The Patent Office in the past was closed because many thought everything had already been patented...
until Edison shed a little light on things!
Thomas Edison had a "Think-Tank" were several men in his group would brainstorm to try and come up with a better mousetrap.
Before Edison would bring a new person into the group, he would invite them to have dinner at his home. He would watch them to see if they salted their food before tasting it... if they did he wouldn't bring that person into the group.
The reason was twofold... One, they took things at face value without the possibility that it could be different.
Also, they would overlook the obvious. I guess with 1,093 patents, Edison may have been right!?

"Again, the techniques that will be used by treasure hunters in the year 2020 would likely be laughed at today."
...I can find no flaw with your statement! LOL!

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
I guess most people here on the beach and shallow water forum just like to hunt the normal and fun way- with detector and scoop. Of course you could get more serious and bring something a bit more efficient to the beach:

Attachments

• KlondikeDredge.jpg
    KlondikeDredge.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 609

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sources of materials .. Merco Marine has dock sections and Interlocking Floats in case you want to build portable building size unit -- be sure to consider normal boat dock width and length considerations (under 8 ft wide and 23 ft long or pay premium dock fee if they will let you put in a marina at all) .. Note: A reasonably Small generator will run a Small room air conditioner, bar refrigerator, and Low-Wattage Compact-Flourscent area lights. Coast guard will approve Porta-poty -or- holding tank with standard boat cleanout connection bathroom designs. Some cases you have to have written contract with Sanitary boat-cleanout-service company first.
You may need dredging permit issued by state or in some cases BLM (Bureau Land Management - Coast Guard - Corps Engineers whomever is responsible).

-AND- under NO Circumstances do you dump silted water back into lake/pond/stream/bay WITHOUT WRITTEN AND APPROVED BY HIGHER AUTHORITY permission (Signed in blood, otherwise, it will be yours, if the environmentalists get outraged). Everything goes to a settling pond or approved SPOILS area, thats the way the big boys work.

Like it or not, ITS A BOAT and has to meet Coast Guard Standards; FIRST and Most important SAFETY (Life Jackets, Fire Extinguisher, Marine Wiring, Dual Batteries with switchover (Used boat parts or West Marine)) and SECOND Lighting (at anchorage 360 degree white light at night) 2 backups; generator (charging battery) first and battery/solar pannel second.
Probably, more information than you wanted, but have gone through all of this before; to say the least, it was not easy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overkill Overkill said:
I have not done much water hunting at all. That's why I'm on this forum.

Thanks for the insight about the sand being the #1 problem. (That helps me to think of another avenue to streamline this process of uncovering targets in the water or sand - siphoning sand through sifters using some kind of vacuum hose)!) I guess this would be similar to way they renourish the beach today. I don't have details, but wouldn't it be neat if we could somehow get rid of the top few inches of sand and search only the remaining sand. In other words, we could try to mimic the effects of a storm. I'm sure others have tried this already in some form or another.

I like to use this forum to brainstorm - to think out loud. I have visited the website Sandman referred me to. Very helpful - thank you. But I can't help but think there MUST be a 'better' way way to extract valuable items from the depths than what methods are currently being used. If the "Golden Oldie" were with us today, wouldn't he agree that the future of metal detecting will look vastly different from the way it looks today. And isn't it fun to try to predict what the next decades might bring in terms of innovative techniques. In my mind, this is the beauty of a forum. Sharing ideas!!! Again, the techniques that will be used by treasure hunters in the year 2020 would likely be laughed at today. And of course, only 1 in 100 ideas discussed today will ever come close to being used in the future. So let's do our best to support and encourage each other. Thanks for taking the time to read and/or reply!

First off its not the top few inches that is the problem, it is the top 12 to 24 inches that is the problem. There is already something out there for what your are describing, but the average hunter can not afford it, nor can it be used where we hunt......

Here it is...a boat with blower mounted on a small boat for working in shallow water.

shallowwaterboatwithblower.jpg

How different are the methods today that are used for recovery then they were 10 or 20 years ago for the average hunter, ask those who have hunted for years, really very little.....

Anyone who thinks the local authorities are going to allow someone to drag a 300+ pound 5 foot square box into the surf to work 25 sq feet of bottom, or work in the shallow water 15-20 feet off the shore of the top tourists beaches where the jewelry is located at in a boat, raft or anything else fighting the surf while they are siphoning 12-24 inches of sand off the bottom hasn't got a clue about local beaches or beach hunting....

You see we actually have to try to not be banned from the beaches for detecting. Everything you have comeup with so far would get us banned. You want to invent something that helps water hunting, build a detector that sees a gold ring at 3-4 foot and descriminates out everything else.....

Here is a sincere suggestion, why don't you first actually get in the water, spend some time water detecting, learn what it is and how it is done before you try to reinvent the wheel on something you have never done......You say you live in Missouri, go water hunting there, go to the local lake beaches and hunt, go to the spring fed rivers, go to the Lake of the Ozarks and hunt, get in the water, actually get your feet wet, hold a water detector in your hand and actually h-u-n-t in the water first.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That works on recovery, it does not get you any closer to the targets on beaches that are sanded in, also the noise it produces would be okay at a private or deserted beach, but it would get you banned on most public beaches in Florida after a few complaints were filed because of the noise.......No one wants to hear a weedwacker at the beach....

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Treasure_Hunter...

So... What we need is a detector that will hit a gold ring at 2 to 3 feet and tell you the depth and karat,
future detectors may even tell you the weight? Maybe in another 40 or 50 years?
Did you use a metal detector on the beach in Okinawa in 1968-70? If you did, I hope it was better than my Goldmaster 66-TR that I used in Hawaii during that time!
On a good day it might hit a dime at three inches! But, you didn't really know for sure what you found with the non-waterproof coil and no discrimination.

I guess we need to be nice to the newbies with wild ideas? For they maybe the ones who invent that "super machine" in the future for our grandkids?
... but, I don't think we'll be around to see it? Do you!? ;D

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question, For the real water hunters?

How many items do you usually dig in a day, four hour hunting session etc.?

--- so far I have just done wet sand beach hunting with cheaper detectors and have been averaging one good target about every 2 to 3 minutes, with multiple target signals, (mainly trash spots) probably all items washed up on shore together...
Dry sand areas depths down to 4 inches is essentially beer can tabs, bottle caps, crushed cans and scraps of metal, intermixed with occasional coin and cheap fell-off-the-beach-towel items.

Like Weed Eater Idea, minus gas motor and enraged beach mob. Now, Float Combination Gel-Cell Battery, Beer cooler, strainer basket in flotation frame, powering the concentric coil electric motor powered super-bottom sucker, and you will have the best pull tab and bottle cap finder available.

Normann

Mar 18, 2009
Thailand
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Seahunter Mark II,Fisher Goldbug 2
Hello Overkill. If your question was how to remove sand at the beach, i got an idea. If you go to the beach when the tide is on the way up, and look what direction the Waves take. Then you can dig a channel so the water from the Waves coming inn At one side and out At the other end. The stream from the Waves will dig for you. And when the water going low again, its ready to hunt.

Good Luck Normann

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
You keep thinking about other ways to dig up targets, mean while I will keep digging with my scoop.In a little while you will learn that the scoop is the best way. For while you are thinking about it ,100's of other guy will be digging up targets and you my friend will be digging nothing. I've been huntting for 35 years, scoops are the best way,and scoop make good weapons when someone try to take your booty. Ron Lord , Naples Fla.

There are small dredges that I used one time but it was more like real work to vaccum up the sand to have it all wash over sifters. You had to move cu. yards of sand and make sure you filled out all the paper work to use the dredge. Wasn't worth it but is for stream nugget hunting. Instead of thinking up ways to overcome the fun of the hunt, why not buy a detector instead of busting our chops about what you might do? :read2:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used